Headlight beam adjustment dial/rheostat

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
I was wondering if the beam adjustment dial/rheostat can be enabled. I am guessing though the the US DOT spec headlights don't have the adjustment motors. Would these work with E-codes that would have the motors? I did some searching and didn't find anything via google or through this site - but perhaps I wasn't using the correct key words.

notice the left dial is the dimmer for the cluster and the right dial is for the headlight beam adjustment. (also, I should probably have read the manual - but thinking this vehicle is very similar in operation to our previous '11 Jetta TDI I haven't gotten it out yet.)

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Haven't been able to pull the switch yet.

However, I am wondering if anyone has retrofitted E-codes with the motors to adjust height. Maybe it is a pointless mod, but I always thought it was cool that the Europeans could manually adjust the level of the headlights.

I will try to pull the switch tonight and take a look.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Is there actually two roller switches? It seems really pointless to install an adjuster if the headlights are incapable of adjusting electrically.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Yes there are really two roller switches. That's how my car came.

Thought it would be cool to get the E-codes with the electric motors - but it might be pointless. I don't know - I like how the Euro cars have it and I think it's too bad that most drivers in the US don't know about the possible benefits of the beam adjustment. While it is limited it could still help a bit if the car is loaded down a bit.

Again, I need to ask myself how often that would be and if it would be worth it. I do like the idea of e-codes, but perhaps Xenons would be a better swap.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen - really want a F-150.
Wait, you have a US JSW? This is new to me. E-codes won't have motors, to my knowledge, just a euro cutoff. You should go to the 'tex and grab a set of Ed's HID reps. They have motors from the factory. I have my lights at home awaiting a HID kit from theretrofitsource. Because my ride doesn't have a leveling switch I'm unsure at this time how to wire it up. Some guys at golfmk6.com are working on the wiring.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
In all my years of driving (50), I have never heard any discussion about the need to adjust the height or angle of the headlights. A First!
I can see a definite benefit to being able to adjust the headlights with the turn of a switch, especially in a JSW if loaded down.

Plus, over time as the shocks, bushings, etc. wear the aim can be thrown off. Most annual state inspections (are supposed to) include checking & adjusting headlight aim.

One of my biggest pet peeves of New England living is all the yahoos with pickups who load the beds up with weight in the winter. As the rear of any vehicle gets lower and lower, the low beams become higher and higher, until they're essentially high beams and the actual high beams point into the trees.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Yeah, it's a US market JSW. Doing some searches I found an owner of a '11/'12 GLI that had the same two dials. I also found the motors from the parts catalog illustrations - however no part number. Although, did find the motors from a dealer in Nevada (I think) that listed them around $60 for each motor.

I haven't been able to pull the fuse panel to release the whole switch panel to check out what is wired or not. It does light up, but I don't know if the dimmer rheostat shares power with the headlight adjustment rheostat.

John and the GTi

TDI
United Gray Metalic Golf, 4 Door, DSG, Xenons, Sunroof, Dynaudio, etc
I installed E-codes on my MK IV GTI, and installed motors, and a new switch that had the 2 rheostats. There was wiring in the lights, but no motors, they were extra. I haven't heard of this on MK VI, and have never heard of this switch coming from the factory.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Well you just did. :D

I think headlight adjustment is standard on the made for Europe cars - maybe just for Germany? I don't know - but you are right, I haven't heard of anyone modding the headlights for the manual leveling, just the auto leveling (in the US).

I remember driving an Opel and Audi rental car in Germany and both had the dial - though it was kinda cool.

xeno555

Veteran Member
TDI
golf
In all my years of driving (50), I have never heard any discussion about the need to adjust the height or angle of the headlights. A First!
The adjuster is used to raise your headlamps, so you dont "over drive" your lights.

Example: When your driving 120mph on the autobahn you only see the distance in front for a couple seconds. You raise the lights to get more reaction time.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
The adjuster is used to raise your headlamps, so you dont "over drive" your lights.
Example: When your driving 120mph on the autobahn you only see the distance in front for a couple seconds. You raise the lights to get more reaction time.
Ah, that makes sense. You'll have more time to see the deer before turning it into hamburger.

TR10

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Jetta TDI, 6MT. Salsa!
not sure how much these help, but take a look at the two threads and see what you can pull from them... (also, keep in mind the date of that DIY is 2004).

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3946937-GTI-Hid-s-and-Rheostat-Switch

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1663888

I am also pretty interested in this, as I am retrofitting OEM GTI/GLI headlights into my '10 Jetta TDI and have not been able to source a reasonably priced leveling control module, sensors, and wiring. Figured my 2nd best option was to retrofit a manual adjustment rheostat, but that seems to be pretty tricky as well according to that first link.

Last edited:

blackflagmn

TDI
2012 Golf TDi with tech package
Ah, that makes sense. You'll have more time to see the deer before turning it into hamburger.
DEER turn into VENISON.. yum!

COWS turn into HAMBURGER.. also yum!

I do feel sad for the vehicles that turn Deer and Cows into meat products. I hope I never do that with my car.

Eco-Wagens

TDI
ALL MAKES & MODELS
Hopefully so much delayed that this has been logically answered, but here’s my $0.02

In Europe it is very common (almost standard) to have height adjustable headlights. Biggest difference comes from the regulations US DOT AND euro spec are very different. Europeans have had height adjustable projector headlights far longer than here in the US. Part of the US DOT regulations is about minimizing glass in the front crash section of the car, etc etc. It’s usefull on dark country roads where you may want your beam further down the road. Versus a wet foggy city street where you’d want the beam pattern much lower and closer down to the road surface.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.