car starts then dies 2 seconds later

plomagli

TDI
2003 Jetta
I have an 03 jetta that was running fine when I parked it. I went to start it and it starts up for 2 seconds then dies. The only thing I did was take my key apart because the case was broken and put the guts in a new case. I dont really thing that would have anything to do with it.

I took the fuel cut of solenoid valve out and removed the plunger and tried it...still nothing.

I also unplugged the MAF and still nothing.

Anti shudder valve is not stuck closed thats the first thing I checked

I cracked all 4 injector lines at the injectors and made sure there was no air in the system.

Any ideas? I do not have Vag Com.

Thanks!

Last edited:

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Is there a symbol that looks like a key inside the outline of a car lit up on your instrument cluster? That indicates the immobilizer has blocked the car from starting.

If memory serves, the immobilizer chip is inside the key case, so when you switched cases you ended up with the correct key and the correct remote but with a immobilizer chip that the car doesn't recognize.
You can have the car learn the new immo chip with a Vag-Com/VCDS or at a dealer.
Someone out there probably knows how to dig the chip out of your old key case and glue it into your new key case.

plomagli

TDI
2003 Jetta
I do not have any lights on on the dash. I guess first thing in the morning I will put the guts back in the old case and try it.

If I just hold the old case up near the dash will the car recognize it or do I actually have to swap guts again?

rackaracka

Veteran Member
Have someone watch the anti shudder valve, its probably closing as soon as the engine generates vacuum. I just fixed this exact problem on my friend 1999.5 Jetta. The solenoid valve actuator failed stuck open and allowed engine vacuum to pull the shudder valve closed snuffing out the engine. No fault codes, no lights.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
It is the immobilizer. The telling clue is the 'runs for 2 seconds' and the confirmation is 'I had my key apart'.

Bill

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
plomagli said:
I do not have any lights on on the dash. I guess first thing in the morning I will put the guts back in the old case and try it.

If I just hold the old case up near the dash will the car recognize it or do I actually have to swap guts again?
Certainly worth a try. The reader for the chip is in the ignition switch, so hold the old case right next to there.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Let us know if that works. If so, you could duct tape the old gey guts under the dash somewhere!

--Nate

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
plomagli said:
Yup it was the immo chip. What a royal pia it was taking the chip out of the old case.

Thanks for the help!!
Did that case was new or used ?If it was new ,so chip is new?
I like to buy that chip(if was new ) if you happened to save it?