saving lightbulbs?

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Anthracite Golf IV, 13 miles and counting ;)
Any way I can minimise my lights going on and off each time i start/shut down the car and turn headlights on and off?

Lightbulbs get worn out(if thats the correct term) as you are switching them on and off. I noticed each time I start or shut down the car, the lights seem to turn on momentarily for no apparant reason. Not to mention the constant use as daytime running lights....

I believe it would be beneficial to find a more efficient start up/shut down procedure that will minimise the lights turning on and off needlessly. All you really need is to turn them on once, and turn them off. Seems there are lots of relays involved each time I turn the key in the ignition.
Any ideas?

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
The lights on the instrument panel come on when you start to let you know they are still good and not burned out. The energy used and the wear on the lamps is very close to zero.

DRL's are a safety issue. I am sure they save more in damage to cars to more than pay for their cost, and that is without adding in any personal injury cost.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
When you start your car, make sure the E-brake is on, so that the DRLs are not on when the key is turned to the "on" position prior to hitting the starter, or disable the DRLs

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
just bend over the trl behind the switch then be done with the drl's :) haven't had mine on for years

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I wonder how the law would look on the situation where someone had disabled their DRL's and had an head on accident on a two lane road during the day?

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None

this has been beat to death and the people who have disabled them will not change and the people who believe they need them will not change​

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Joe_Meehan said:
I wonder how the law would look on the situation where someone had disabled their DRL's and had an head on accident on a two lane road during the day?
the law would not care because DRLs are not a US DOT requirement.

If it happened in Canada, things would be different

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Anthracite Golf IV, 13 miles and counting ;)
i'm not talking about DRLs, the main point is that light bulbs burn out when the voltage changed when it is being turned on.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Joe_Meehan said:
Since DRLs aren't mandatory equipment, I'd say that Johnny Law wouldn't care.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
SoaceMunky said:
i'm not talking about DRLs, the main point is that light bulbs burn out when the voltage changed when it is being turned on.
That is true to some extend. Lights in flashing signs that flash all day and night (maybe 100,000 times a day) exhibit a measurable reduction in life. I am sure there is no way to measure the difference in your automobile lights that may be turned on and off a few times a day.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
SoaceMunky said:

The only way to prevent the bulbs from burning out is by not using them period.

Just using them means the bulbs will wear out. Turning them off & on accelerates wear. Voltage spikes accelerates wear (spiking can occur when turn the car on & off)....

burning out the bulbs is a fact of life.