Driver's floor constantly wet, can't find any clogged drains

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Driver's carpet is ranges from constantly damped, so just plain soaked.

I have poured several cups of water in my sunroof, and it immediately rushes out of the nipples in door jambs.
I have poured several cups of water on windshield, windshield cowl (on driver's wiper blade), and on the slotted part of the cowl with the hood open.

In all instances, water immediately rushes out from around the front left mudflap area, and cannot find any instance of additional moisture in driver's footwell.

What gives??

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Check the pass-through for the electrical connectors under/near the wiper motor. There is a plastic cover with two speed nuts holding it to the body, and a wire harness with a big grommet going through it.

The cowl drains can get clogged, and cause water to find its way through that pass-through, or the cabin filter frame on the passenger side.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
Check the pass-through for the electrical connectors under/near the wiper motor. There is a plastic cover with two speed nuts holding it to the body, and a wire harness with a big grommet going through it.

The cowl drains can get clogged, and cause water to find its way through that pass-through, or the cabin filter frame on the passenger side.

This is what happened with mine. That plenum area completely clogged with rotting leaves/debris and water was coming in through the cables and down the back of the carpet.

I bought a weatherproof car cover so i don’t have to remove the plenum cover every month. We’ve got loads of trees.

(I think it’s called a plenum btw.. the part that the wiper arms come through.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dtwbrowne

TDI
jetta
There is a box under the rain tray that has connections that run to the fuse box. This box over time has a tendency to leak allow water in on the drivers side. RTV is a quick fix but long term the box needs to be pulled and the sealant needs to be cleaned and reapply. I had the same problem with wet carpet mine was cracked some how, but removed and replaced box and sealant. No more leaks...

Last edited:

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
There is a box under the rain tray that has connections that run to the fuse box. This box over time has a tendency to leak allow water in on the drivers side. RTV is a quick fix but long term the box needs to be pulled and the sealant needs to be cleaned and reapply. I had the same problem with wet carpet mine was cracked some how, but removed and replaced box and sealant. No more leaks...

do you mean this box? I outlined it in red
(the one in the background bolted down and the wires going into it)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Thanks for the help.

Did more digging today. I found that the grommet on my passenger door jamb was clogged. I pulled it off and lots of gunk in there.

Any do I get it back on the hose?
Hose seems too short to extend past the hole opening for me to hold it and insert.

dtwbrowne

TDI
jetta
You may have to disconnect it from the other end. If it’s the sunroof you will need to drop the head liner. Tape string or something to it so you don’t loose it in the rail. Reconnect at the door jam and the other end should be easy. Suggest checking the other side if you have to go through all this for the driver side...[emoji848][emoji848]if the head liner is coming out do them all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
I am not sure if you know but water in the drivers floor is only half the story. VW likes solid rubber carpets and underneath is a jute pad. If there is water on the top part there is a bunch more water underneath. I can't tell you how many times I have pulled up the carpets on some of my cars chasing these leaks and ran fans for days trying to dry them out. I found stuffing old towels under the carpet pulls a lot out in a hurry. One car I got so frustrated I just ripped out the jute backing and would dry it on a rack and then stuff it back in later. If you don't get the water out then mold sets in and you really have a smell and problem to deal with as the spores grow all over inside. The problem I have battled is a slow leak will take a long time to fill up the bottom before I see it on the top of the carpet.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
just because you find one leak, keep checking for others. I have found a gently running garden hose placed at different locations while looking under the dash with a light will reveal most of them. One of my sun roofs would only leak under a down pour and not in a normal rain. The vents were fine. I think the seals just let too much through on the top and it could not handle the volume. Maybe it was out of adjustment or something but a tube of caulk cured it for good - I never used the roof anyway.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Thanks for the help.

Did more digging today. I found that the grommet on my passenger door jamb was clogged. I pulled it off and lots of gunk in there.

Any do I get it back on the hose?
Hose seems too short to extend past the hole opening for me to hold it and insert.

You don’t have to take Headliner down to reattach Sunroof drains just google
How to reattach MK4 Sunroof drains Or
Rain leak fix/sunroof drain VW MK4

Last edited:

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
I am not sure if you know but water in the drivers floor is only half the story. VW likes solid rubber carpets and underneath is a jute pad. If there is water on the top part there is a bunch more water underneath. I can't tell you how many times I have pulled up the carpets on some of my cars chasing these leaks and ran fans for days trying to dry them out. I found stuffing old towels under the carpet pulls a lot out in a hurry. One car I got so frustrated I just ripped out the jute backing and would dry it on a rack and then stuff it back in later. If you don't get the water out then mold sets in and you really have a smell and problem to deal with as the spores grow all over inside. The problem I have battled is a slow leak will take a long time to fill up the bottom before I see it on the top of the carpet.
Ahhh...thanks. I figured as much since it never seems to dry. 3 days in a row, boiling hot summer day, all the windows open...still damp.

a tube of caulk cured it for good - I never used the roof anyway.
:(
You don’t have to take Headliner down to reattach Sunroof drains just google
How to reattach MK4 Sunroof drains Or
Rain leak fix/sunroof drain VW MK4
The rubber nipple in the door jamb was very hard to get back in.
I ended up using "weedwhacker" line and tracing it through. Tied a knot after the rubber nipple, and lined it back up.

sruchris

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Wagon
I ended up using "weedwhacker" line and tracing it through. Tied a knot after the rubber nipple, and lined it back up.
About a year ago, water was soaking my carpets causing my windows to fog. I found that the sunroof drain nipples on both doors were disconnected from the hoses. Using weedwhacker line and tying a knot and pulling was exactly how I reattached them. No problems with them since then.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Ahhh...thanks. I figured as much since it never seems to dry. 3 days in a row, boiling hot summer day, all the windows open...still damp.

:(

Yup that’s it

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
In my car I find water on the black rubber on the bottom of my door jams.
I was told that could be wicking over and getting in through the door panel.
I know my hinges are bad and haven't ordered them yet.