Front End Vibration

NurseGuy1987

TDI
2003 Beetle TDI
My 2003 Beetle has a slight front end vibration when at highway speeds (approx 67-80). It doesn't vibrate on acceleration but you can feel the rotors pulsing when you go to stop. Could this be the cause of the vibration or would it more likely be an out of round tire or one in need of balancing? This does not feel or sound like a "death wobble" and I can barely even feel it in the steering wheel. More or less through my feet on the floor. Car has new tires, new struts, and pads. I have not checked the rotors but honestly, don't think I would know what to look for if I tried. Speeds below 65 are smooth as silk.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
You’ve already checked the rotors. When you push on the brakes and you feel it pulse in the brake pedal your rotors are in need of replacement.

If the tires are new have them rebalanced. Also check the front control arm bushings and sway bar bushings. If your wobble started after new tires it’s most likely a tire.

NurseGuy1987

TDI
2003 Beetle TDI
Tires were installed by previous owner, and upon visual inspection, appear to be fine. I am taking it today for an inspection and hopefully a simple balance will solve this issue. Aside from this, and the radio not working, this is one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. It may be "ugly" to some, but I could care less.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Aside from this, and the radio not working, this is one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. It may be "ugly" to some, but I could care less.
Not to side track this but did you get maintenance records with the car?
You didn't post the cars mileage.
If you don't know when the timing belt was replaced last it's important that it be changed before it breaks. :eek:
If it does break at a minimum you will have bent valves, possibly bent rods, or worse.

BTW, what's with the radio?

NurseGuy1987

TDI
2003 Beetle TDI
@ wonneber

The car is an '03 and just rolled 97,000 miles. Prior to purchase, and as per repair paperwork, the following work was done at around 95,000 miles. The radio is now working fine, the harness was loose, and I simply reconnected it firmly.

- New tires (4)
- new alternator (assuming due to mileage, not functionality, as per seller)
- new rotors (yet I still feel them grabbing when I go to stop)
- new pads
- new struts
- oil changed
- ac was checked and resulted as functional and without issue
- codes pulled (zero codes resulted)
- nothing mentioned about timing belt
- all regular maintenance performed at Savannah Volkswagen with records.
- no accidents, no flood damage from the recent hurricanes, clear title

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I can't believe the timing belt is the original after 15 years.
It should be changed at 100K miles or 5 years (iIrc)
Can you call Savannah Volkswagen to see if they can check if it was ever changed?
This is something very important.