Should I stick with OEM Auto Tranny Fluid?

stancho

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I'm considering changing the fluid in my auto tranny. Worldimpex sells OEM ATF for $14.95/liter and Pentosin ATF for $9/liter. The price difference is substantial and I was wondering if there is a significant difference between the two products. Since Pentosin makes various other fluids for VW, is it possible that the two products are actually the same thing in different bottles? Is there an advantage to using OEM? Your comments are welcome.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I suspect Pentosin makes the VW fluid. VW doesn't mfr coolant, brake fluids, trans fluids, etc. ;)

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
I hear you can use a good synthetic, but you have to get ALL the fluid out of the torque converter and all - doing your average tranny flush does NOT do that.

stancho

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
TDIRyan said:
I hear you can use a good synthetic, but you have to get ALL the fluid out of the torque converter and all - doing your average tranny flush does NOT do that.
I'm not able and do not intend to get all of the fluid out. Therefore, I'd like to use only compatible AT fluid. My question was whether the Pentosin brand is the same as or compatible with OEM.

basskleff

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS
If this helps, I just did mine and drained out all the OEM fluid I could and replaced with Pentosin ATF. Probably there was some original fluid retained.
Mine is running fine. I think Pentosin is fine. Buy 4 liters and you'll use a little over 3 with filter change. Don't worry so much ;)

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Just my two cents, but I would use the OEM fluid unless you can be certain that the pentosin is the same product. Many of these new transmissions are very sensative to the types of fluids you use in them. ATF (like motor oil) is a very detailed science. Even if Pentosin makes the VW fluid, there is no gaurantee that the additive packages are the same. At 4 liters the OEM would cost you an additional $24, and IMHO it is cheap insurance for a very expensive item like the transmission.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
The Pentosin product is labled ATF1 and is identicle to the VW stuff because they make it.

Rexking414

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
Someone told me it's not a good idea to replace the fluid unless your having problems..Whether it's true or not i don't know. But Vw's auto transmissions are soo sensitive the fluid has to be exact. and like they said, it not your typical auto transmission.