www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old July 31st, 2003, 10:47   #16
tdipoet
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1 Hojillion MPG
Default You know you\'re obscessed when....

there's another tdi across the street. i've never met him, but every time i hear the engine i stop whatever i'm doing to listen.
tdipoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 11:07   #17
TDI_ESEL
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

...you're so infatuated w/ another guy's TDI that you can't properly spell the word "obsessed."
TDI_ESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 11:10   #18
SpamJ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/45/30

You see another TDI in a store parking lot, you park next to it, even if there is a space closer to the door.

Sam
SpamJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 11:15   #19
philh
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49/44/37

For sure!
philh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 14:20   #20
03GolfTDI
Veteran Member

Some of these were posted already.

1. Your 50 mile roundtrip commute seems too short.

2. You drive 15 miles from home to get the best diesel.

3. You refer to your TDI as "My baby" (I dont have kids).

4. You get seriously concerned when your TDI is at the
mercy of the dealership.

5. You constantly look at the asses of other Volkswagens
to see if they are powered by TDI.

6. You love the looks you get when you pick up the green
hose at the fuel pump.

7. You tell your whole family about how great diesels are.

8. You love to brag about your mileage.

These are my personal TDI obsessions. I love combining #7 and #8 whenever I talk to my parents. They have the whole 'I will only drive a Ford/GM with the biggest engine and worst gas mileage.'
03GolfTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 14:38   #21
eisenkrote
Veteran Member

Quote:
bmike said:
You know you are obscessed with the TDI when...

You spend 2 hours a day every morning on some great TDI website learning every possible detail about your car. Then rechecking the site every hour for new information.....
Yup. That's where my life went...
eisenkrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 16:18   #22
RichTDI

You pull into a parking lot and see a Jetta or Golf accross the lot and you check to see if it is a TDI and then proceed to drive up and down the isles looking for other TDI's.
RichTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 19:06   #23
BeetleGo
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/46, usually 41

Quote:
Spamjohnson said:
You see another TDI in a store parking lot, you park next to it, even if there is a space closer to the door.

Sam
Boy, I've done THIS one before!

...or making sure you have friends in the suburbs who also feel a moral imperative to thoroughly wash and wax the car ever 6 months WITHOUT EXCEPTION!

...or spending 5 fricken hours with Jonathan Bartlett driving 47mph in an endless 30 mile loop in a fuel economy competition with the windows UP and the a/c OFF in the summertime, just to prove that these engines can in fact achieve over 90mpg (on an engine with over a QUARTER OF A MILLION MILES ON IT no less!)

...or getting a buzz out of doing more than 120 miles before the needle moves below full (and you knew you'd been using a ton of A/C and blasting around in city traffic all week)!
BeetleGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 20:18   #24
Jetter_Sprinta
Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor

Fuel Economy: Better than a Prius ;-)

Very funny thread.
We'll add:

.......When you can't get Jacobs Vehicle Systems to return your calls requesting a "baby" JakeBrake!

.......ask the mechanic "Was it a pleasure to work on?"

.......you affectionatley refer to the sound your engine makes as "the pitter patter of little diesels" (also childless, can you tell?)

.......you drive tenderly to save up soot to "smoke" anyone who ticks you off!
Jetter_Sprinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 21:51   #25
MITBeta
Veteran Member

.... you change your timing belt early, just for the fun of it.

.... you look for reasons to work on the car, even though nothing's wrong.

.... your dogs can hear your car coming up the street because of the distinctive diesel clatter.

.... you have a TDI coffee mug.

.... you buy Delvac-1 by the case.

.... you won't settle for red gasoline cans... you've got to have the yellow diesel ones.

.... you comment about stinky gassers every time you follow one up a steep hill, and you catch them with the cruise control on...

.... you're somehow disappointed when your Passat Wagon only gets 1150 miles per tank.
MITBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2003, 11:46   #26
mikeyworks
Veteran Member

your wife buys a TDI, and out of jealousy, you buy a rabbit diesel, 3 extra IDI engines and are still upset when you find a Turbo motor for $200 and it's just not enough so you have $1500 worth of mod's planned for a $50 car!!!
mikeyworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2003, 20:13   #27
Ricdude
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47.2/41.8/44.5

Quote:
mikeyworks said:
your wife buys a TDI, and out of jealousy, you buy a rabbit diesel, 3 extra IDI engines ... so you have $1500 worth of mod's planned for a $50 car!!!
I almost picked up a diesel VW Dasher station wagon for
$100, but alas I was second in line... Can you say SVO conversion? =)

Obsessed with your TDI?

* Even though the only time you've ever changed your own oil by yourself, you damaged the vehicle beyond repair, and it blew up on the highway a month later, you think you'd do just fine with a mityvac, if you just read the step-by-step in the faq one more time.

* You think if you can pull off an oil change, a timing belt change can't be that much harder...

* You start thinking about all the cool mods you could do, and you've never been a "car" guy in your life.

* You turn off the radio for a whole week, because you put biodiesel in the tank, and you can't hear your engine at highway speed anymore.

* You wonder if you can shoehorn the V10 TDI engine from the european Touraregs into your New Beetle. (maybe if I put it in the back seat, and into the trunk...)

* You decide it would be more fun to mount the TDI engine in a classic Beetle instead...
Ricdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2003, 21:37   #28
tditone
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/46/41

Quote:
MITBeta said:
.... you comment about stinky gassers every time you follow one up a steep hill, and you catch them with the cruise control on...
Haha - I do this practically everyday. When starting up a hill, I'll switch the vents to recirc-mode and let out a dramatic huff and a sigh. Passengers then ask "what's wrong?" to which I reply something like "all these stinky gassers need to rev their engines so darn high getting up the hill - I don't want to smell that crap!"

Quote:
MITBeta said:
.... you have a TDI coffee mug.

... ... ... -- such a thing exists!? I must have it!

-Tone (whose "Drivers wanted" mug suddenly seems "soooo last year!")

tditone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2003, 00:43   #29
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD

1 . It's not warmed up until you hit the 100 mile mark .

2 . I can go 1,000 miles without a bathroom stop .

3 . Those gasser smell funny .

4 . I haven't bought gasoline in 15 years .

5 . My credit card company called to say that someone had stollen my credit card & was using it to purchase diesel fuel all around the US & Canada . ????

6 . I sometimes forget to get fuel , every 1,000 miles or so You Have think of it ( Darn it's such a hassel isn't it ?) .

7 . I talk to my diesels & they answers sometimes .

8 . I've turned dieselers into most of my friends , they all drive diesels now .

9 . I drive from Charlotte to Oak Island and drive around for a month without buying fuel .

10. I'll drive an extra 150 miles to find a "Flying J" truck stop to refuel .

11. I look foward to the smell of a cold diesel engine early on a cold morning .

12. I've added a cheapmode switch to blow smoke in peoples faces that I dom't like . Like Gass SUV'ers .

13. I enjoy overboosting my engine & running 100mph for hours at a time and still getting 50+ mpg .

14. I go to another state to get fuel once a month at a Flying J in S.C. or VA. 10 to 20 cents cheaper .

15. I always overfill my fuel cell from my early Dasher to my current TDI's . I have to be careful in my

1991 Jetta diesel ,( 730 miles max @ 15.4 galUS ) the fuel gauge gets to the red area & you are out of fuel ( Empty ) !! I've run the thing out of fuel twice . I usually just watch the trip clock to tell me when I need fuel . Some times in the summer with the AC on & if I have been driving at 80mph , it won't go quite as farr . 37mpg to 38mpg summer ( winter 39mpg to 43mpg highway / 42 mpg to 48 mpg city , in winter @ sea level and driving below 50 mph for the entire tank ( always in 5th gear @ 25mph ) .

1997 Passat TDI ; ( 1,100 miles max on a 19.2 tank )52 top 56.7 city ( mostly 25mph to 45mph , 55mph max @ sea level ) / 48 to 52.4 highway 75mph to 90mph).

1985 Jetta w/1994 Canadian 5spd & Eco-Diesel ; ( 608 miles max @ 15.2 ) , 35 to 40 city (25 to 55mph max , (mostly 40 to 45mph) @ sea level )/ 30 to 33 highway (70 to 90mph) .( All #'s mpgUS )
3.78L = 1 galUS

16. You know that saying "0 to 60 in 15 minutes" it's not just a saying .

17. I'm always in 5th gaer at or below 27mph .25mph in Jetta's .

18. I get better mpg around town than I do on the Highway .
55 city / 49 to 52 hoghway . This common on diesels if you drive easy enough . 1st 0 to 10 , 2nd 6 to 15 , 3rd 10 to 30 , skip 4th , 5th 25 to max . I stay below 1/2 throttle most of the time . Never hit Max throttle , never !! Drive like I have an egg under my foot . Always use the cruise control .

ECT.........

David
rotarykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2003, 07:24   #30
BawlsyTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54.5/49/42

Quote:
03GolfTDI said:
Some of these were posted already.

4. You get seriously concerned when your TDI is at the
mercy of the dealership.

5. You constantly look at the asses of other Volkswagens
to see if they are powered by TDI.

6. You love the looks you get when you pick up the green
hose at the fuel pump.

7. You tell your whole family about how great diesels are.

8. You love to brag about your gas mileage.

These are my personal TDI obsessions. I love combining #7 and #8 whenever I talk to my parents. They have the whole 'I will only drive a Ford/GM with the biggest engine and worst gas mileage.'
4. No effing way A dealership touch my baby (3rd child er car, I mean car....)

5. All the time. Somehow I'm always disappointed when it's a 2.slo or 1.8t.

6. I love it even more when the attendant won't turn on the pump...

7 and 8. My family loves diesels so that's out. Bragging about mileage is what holds the family together

BawlsyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote