www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old July 31st, 2003, 02:15   #1
itsmejerry
Veteran Member
Default You know you\'re obsessed when....

Post away...
You know you are obsessed with the TDI when...
<Edited to correctly spell obsessed>
My contribution:
--1. When you meet a stranger in a TDI you start excitedly talking about mufflerectomies, ventectomies, and tire pressure and they look at you blankly, gather their kids and leave.
2. When you have your friends in your car and you make them look at the trip odometer when it shows 600 miles on the tank. (And you get a little mad when they just don't really seem to care...)

3. You pretend to do the math on your tank when you're filling up. As soon as you finish filling up, you excitedly proclaim.. "15.1 gallons.. 755 miles.. that's 50 mpg!" just loud enough for everyone within 30 feet to hear.

4.You've ever gone to 5 places for motor oil and shake your head in disgust because the people there have never heard of the VW 505.00 specification, and then feel pretty good because you know what the 505 spec is-- sort of...

5. You freak when someone tries to sound out TDI trying to figure out what it means.. "Turbo um... Diesel.. um.. something.." ( NNNnnnnnooooooooooooo you idiot!!!-- It's Turbo Direct Injection) Even though you don't know if there is a Turbo Indirect Injection or Turbo direct non-injection or whatever...) but you're pretty sure there might be.

6. You find that for fun you drive aimlessly around for hours at a time.

7. Your 1 year old car has 37,000 miles on it--- and that fact doesnt bother you.

8. When the light turns green you stomp the go pedal and leave everyone in your dust.. And when you get stopped at the next light and they all finally catch up, you rationalize it by thinking "Even though I did that... I STILL got better mileage than they did"

9. You've considered taking off necessary and legally required parts of your car just to get an 2 extra miles per gallon "hmm... Those mirrors... I don't REALLY need them do I??? OR I wonder if the windshield comes out.."

10. You pull up behind another VW thinking at a distance that it's a TDI and feel a bit sorry for the other driver when you don't see TDI on the trunk. (sigh, maybe I can help them.. )
11. You've ever called your Vw dealer and asked when the Convertable Beetle TDI or Cabrio TDI is coming out.

12. You quickly follow up with "but it's all about torque" after you tell someone that your car has 90 Hp. Even though you don't know exactly what torque does.

13. You're on a job interview and think it's perfectly OK to work into the conversation that your car is a TDI, even though it has no relevence for the job.

14.. Cleaning your snow screen in the summer somehow makes perfect sense to you.

15. On long trips you actually get angry at yourself because YOU have to stop to go to the bathroom, 3 times before your car needs fuel.

16. You know when refueling that when the fuel pump shuts off, (the first time) that's the signal that you should open all your doors and clean out your car. You understand the importance of Diesel Fuel Foam and know that it's kind of like the sand in an hourglass. After 2 minutes it is once again time to resume pumping the last 2 gallons of diesel fuel into your tank.

17. You know Venting and Air Conditioning are two totally unrelated things.

18. You roll down your windows when you drive next to a wall, solid fence, or building just so you can hear the turbo whine.

19. You sometimes sing the theme song to "Convoy" just because you now stop at Truck stops for fuel. "Dark of the moon, on the 5th of June and a Kenworth pullin' log, Cab-over Pete with a Reefer on and a Jimmy haulin' hogs.." And scoff at people who aren't "man enough" to use the high volume hose... (until you spill a half gallon of fuel on your shoes..)

20... The reason you know you're obscessed with TDI's is when you pull into a gas station, you know 15 different ways to tell the attendant " Yes.. I know it's a Diesel pump" when they refuse to turn it on for you.
itsmejerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 02:27   #2
PlatinumGLS
Veteran Member

Default You know you\'re obscessed when....

That is great...and it is all true
PlatinumGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 03:15   #3
mikey_sa
Veteran Member

Luuuuuvly !!!

I think we are one and the same person

-Michael
mikey_sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 05:23   #4
jasonlava
Veteran Member

You're right. Last night was my first night with my TDI and I had the sunroof and window down on a bridge so I could hear the turbo and when I got to the redlight, turn off the radio to hear the diesel idle.
jasonlava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 05:41   #5
cage
Veteran Member

Yup. I'm leaving for Chicago in one hour for a fun weekend but I am more excited about driving my TDI for 51/2 hours than actually going to Chicago.
cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 05:47   #6
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Quote:
cage said:
... but I am more excited about driving my TDI for 5 1/2 hours than actually going to Chicago.

During our 2000 mile spring roadtrip, my wife generously offered to take some of the driving duty. I respectfully declined.

Last edited by dieseldorf; February 16th, 2009 at 15:33.
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 05:56   #7
aggiegrad
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 60/45/38

...when you shelled out the extra $400 for the Monsoon system, but you'd rather leave it turned off so you can hear the turbo.

aggiegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 06:04   #8
bmike
Thread Killer

You know you are obscessed with the TDI when...

You spend 2 hours a day every morning on some great TDI website learning every possible detail about your car. Then rechecking the site every hour for new information.....
bmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 06:23   #9
NovaTDI

Quote:
itsmejerry said:

18. You roll down your windows when you drive next to a wall, solid fence, or building just so you can hear the turbo whine...

...AND the engine clatter!
NovaTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 06:45   #10
Fast_SilverTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.6/100

Quote:
18. You roll down your windows when you drive next to a wall, solid fence, or building just so you can hear the turbo whine.

I do this all the time. My girlfriend always says.."What are you doing" I'm like can't you hear the turbo and she looks away in disgust. Love the sound. I was dissappointed when I had it replaced because it's not as loud as it used to be. I miss it!!

You also know you're obcessed when you risk getting in do-do at work reading this stuff!!

I love my car and wouldn't trade if for the world!!!
Fast_SilverTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 07:09   #11
iwannajettatdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/49/46

you know you are obscessed when...

you dont even have a tdi yet, and its all you can bear to think about.

you feel incomplete without checking tdiclub.com every so often to see what new stuff has been posted.

you could pull in to the driveway at night, feel good, and simply take the car out for a drive... of 100 miles.

you drive around sometimes just to run some fuel out so you can go to the truck stops and let everyone see you filling up, and tell them "yes, its a diesel. and yes, i get over 50 mpg." and watch them recoil in shock.
iwannajettatdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 08:07   #12
Tango_Kilo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49.3/44.0/36.2

Quote:
iwannajettatdi said:
you know you are obscessed when...

you dont even have a tdi yet, and its all you can bear to think about.

you feel incomplete without checking tdiclub.com every so often to see what new stuff has been posted.

you could pull in to the driveway at night, feel good, and simply take the car out for a drive... of 100 miles.

you drive around sometimes just to run some fuel out so you can go to the truck stops and let everyone see you filling up, and tell them "yes, its a diesel. and yes, i get over 50 mpg." and watch them recoil in shock.
Yes, I agree completely. Waiting for the '04s...
Tango_Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 08:36   #13
SwimmerDave
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 JSW 6MT
Fuel Economy: 45

Quote:

15. On long trips you actually get angry at yourself because YOU have to stop to go to the bathroom, 3 times before your car needs fuel.

Oh, quite true, quite true People were amazed that I drove from Chicago to Atlanta without every needing fuel.
SwimmerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 08:41   #14
NussWag
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 60/45/39

...you make a special trip across town for fuel because a) you know its the best around, b) you want to drive your car and c) you rationalize that it only cost you an extra 10-15 cents.

...no matter what the social setting is, you manage to get into a discussion of TDI's, fuel economy, and the merits of the diesel engine.

...you are dissapointed when you pass another TDI on the road and they don't wave back.

...starting your car just makes you smile.

...you wish for a longer commute so you can spend more time with your car.
NussWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2003, 11:39   #15
cattlerepairman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 8.4 l/100 km at 60/40 hwy/city

Yup...
Sounds like my husband!!!
Although you did forget to add: Can hear a TDI a quarter mile away ( of course we open the window to listen more intently too) and just HAS to tell everyone in the car that fact!
Anyways...whatever
MRS cattlerepairman
cattlerepairman is offline   Reply With Quote