www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old June 11th, 2006, 11:35   #31
BORA130

i have a 130bhp bora tdi. is it possible to upgrade it to 150bhp using the VAG COM
BORA130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 10:53   #32
turkeyssr

Fuel Economy: 44 avg.
Default Why not this?

For a 2003 ALH, why not simply do the EVRY MOD, then mufflerectomy, and then KERMA TDI 520s? It seems this would be the least expensive progressive route to go. What about fuel economy? It seems that no one has mentioned any loss in fuel economy with power mods, but I would think more fuel injected = worse fuel economy.
Old August 15th, 2006, 21:32   #33
Mike_M
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56/47/41

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyssr
For a 2003 ALH, why not simply do the EVRY MOD, then mufflerectomy, and then KERMA TDI 520s? It seems this would be the least expensive progressive route to go.
Doing nozzles, EVRY and a mufflerectomy is certainly one low-budget route, but not by any means necessarily the "best"...that's an individual decision. One could point out that EVRY simply increases fueling, without increasing boost, so nozzles and an EVRY will give you more speed and more smoke, probably negatively affecting fuel economy a bit in the process.
Quote:
What about fuel economy? It seems that no one has mentioned any loss in fuel economy with power mods, but I would think more fuel injected = worse fuel economy.
Common fallacy. The engine will only inject the quantity of fuel that you need to maintain your current requested power...it's not like a gasser where you'll always get (more or less) a 14.7:1 air:fuel ratio, ergo more performance equals less fuel economy. On a TDI (and diesels in general), if you're only using 17hp, you'll only get the fuel to produce 17hp, no matter the nozzle size or ECU programming.

Actually, within certain limits, larger nozzles HELP fuel economy by squirting in the same amount of fuel in a shorter window, thus effectively advancing injection timing and potentially allowing a more complete burn. Of course, if you use the extra power that more fueling capacity makes available, you lose that benefit.
Old October 10th, 2006, 00:59   #34
IBsurfer69
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2004 Jetta

i've had my 2004 jetta for 2 years and havn't thought much about adding performance parts but i've finally decided to look into it. i was already planning on getting DIGI-PD (bew) and i was thinking about possibilities for the exhaust system. i looked into themufflerectomy, but didn't want to go that way. i'm looking for a less restrictive exhaust system than the stock system, hopefully a ready cat-back system that i can order and bolt on. as far as noise, i like the sound from the mufflerectomy, but is there a way to get that sound with a cat-back system?
IBsurfer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 01:02   #35
IBsurfer69
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2004 Jetta

o and before i forget to ask, the stock turbo is a vnt-15 that comes in the '04 jetta?
IBsurfer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 21:34   #36
Onebadho

04 jettas come with a Borgis weimer kkk39 turbo.. or something like that .. I dont recall off the top if my head but i know its not the vnt turbos
Onebadho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 05:52   #37
dolde
Veteran Member

I curious if someone can give me a link to instructions on how reassemble all parts after an EGR delete project. This forum is simply toooo big ..
dolde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 06:56   #38
SeaFred

Default Chipping 2006 Jetta TDI

I've just bought my first diesel - leftover new 2006 Jetta TDI - and love it. This is my first VW in over 40 years and it's great!

I'm concerned with blowing my 7-year warrantee. Wouldn't mind trying a chip (flash) but don't want the dealer to spot it and negate my expensive coverage. Anyone tell me how much danger there is of being "caught" and if the change is worth the price (almost $500 Canadian up here)?

Also, anyone have feedback on oil. Understand VW has its own standard for oil for this beast and I'd like to know if there are any choices. I'm not a fan of Castrol since they were caught marketing Syntax falsly as a synthetic.

Thanks for any advice or feedback.

Fred
SeaFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 11:09   #39
LoveMyVW
Veteran Member

u could try the Diesel Power Module from concept1 www.concept1.ca in calgary ive got this chip in my car its just a simple plug and play setup with a very notice able power increase and for the oil i have switched over to amsoil my self not too sure who else would be making 50501 oil
LoveMyVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 14:58   #40
aggiet4's

Default Bigger turbo please

Hi im new to this site and have been searching it for days trying to discover which bigger turbo i can use,i have a 1998 transporter and i have installed a 1995 golf 1z ahu 90 bhp motor,i have .216 nozzles ready to go in. Im running the original turbo and header from the transporter which is the same turbo model as the golf engine a garrett T15, the only difference in the two turbos is that in the golf it sits beneath the header and in the transporter it sits above the header and the three bolt flange is the opposite way around,currently the engine is standard although i have fitted a front mount intercooler,built a custom 2'1/4 exhaust system and have a k&n panel filter,i have vag-com to adjust the pump once the nozzles have been installed but i want to upgrade the turbo for higher boost and greater flow,can anyone help or suggest where to look to find options or a solution to my problem?
Old October 18th, 2008, 06:10   #41
Steve C

Fuel Economy: ?
Default Scared to buy Reman Turbo

I'm in need of a new turbo .Could someone point me in the right direction, for the purchase of a VNT-17. Is this a bolt on replacement/upgrade?? Need new turbo asap.
Steve C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 16:09   #42
ccvdubs

TDI(s): 03 GOLF GLS
Fuel Economy: 40 to 50

you can buy new, kerma tdi.com
TDI PARTS ,SOUTH BEND, BOSIO
SHINE ,NEUSPEED ,VDO ,BILSTEIN, SNOW PERFORMANCE, AUTOTECH 3 BAR MAP SENSORS AND RED EYE BADGES
ccvdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 08:57   #43
Victor Vazquez

Fuel Economy: Around 39mpg

does anyone know where to get some 184mm injectors for a 90hp 2002 Mk4 tdi. So far the only ones i can fine are at kermatdi. THis is the link for the ones i was looking at:
http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-str...l?sfs=1f830531
Any help would be much appreciated.
Victor Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 13:15   #44
plljas

Question mk4 golf 130 turbo.

Hi guys / gals

I have a GT TDI 130 with a turbo issue , what happens normally is im going about 70 in 6 gear, i put my foot down a bit and the turbo starts but then fails, i need to turn the car off then on again and then its fine it also boots later than it should around 2100 revs i thought it should boot about 1800 , i do about 350 miles a week and it might do it once or twice , is there any one that could shed some light on this for me please? i would be very gratefull, cheers guys .

Last edited by plljas; January 19th, 2009 at 13:22.
plljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:44   #45
hatemi
Veteran Member

You either have overboost or underboost issues. The oberboost is more likely. You either have a bad tune, sticky N75 valve, vacume leak or sticky vanes on your turbo. The vacume leak sounds the most likely cause if you feel its lacking in the bottom end. Check the 3.2mm ID lines from vacume pump to the N75 to the turbo first.