www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old September 8th, 2017, 11:17   #1
bustNfuel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39-42
Thumbs down Why I do MY OWN service..unless Federally mandated

I had my Passat at Leith VW in Raleigh NC for the emissions software and snow flap recall back in July.

Today I went to check my oil and found the airbox screws were ALL loose and the top of the airbox lid was just up there flopping around, allowing unfiltered air to enter my engine for the past 1,800 miles. Nice, Mr. VW Service Tech!

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=124558&title=all-of-the-airbox-screws-were-loose-and-lid-was-unsecured&cat=6853

On my previous VW Jetta, a service tech forgot to reinstall the brake fluid cap on the reservoir after doing the 'brake fluid flush'. Fortunately I found that fubar right after I got home.

Lesson learned? Always ALWAYS do a pre-check of their work!!! It should not be necessary though, but I cannot trust ANYONE to work on my stuff as these are just two examples of oversights that I've had to deal with when someone else works on my vehicles over the past 40 years.

I'm in the airline industry and oversights can KILL and typically result in NTSB and FAA intervention. I ___CANNOT___ accept oversights in my PROFESSIONAL life, and I do not accept them in my PERSONAL life!!!!

So far, trying to contact the Service Manager and General Managers have resulted in, 'he's not in today, let me transfer you to his voicemail'. UGH.

Last edited by bustNfuel; September 8th, 2017 at 16:43. Reason: Link to image
bustNfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 11:23   #2
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustNfuel View Post
I had my Passat at Leith VW in Raleigh NC for the emissions software and snow flap recall back in July.

Today I went to check my oil and found the airbox screws were ALL loose and the top of the airbox lid was just up there flopping around, allowing unfiltered air to enter my engine for the past 1,800 miles. Nice, Mr. VW Service Tech!

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.ph...airbox&cat=500

On my previous VW Jetta, a service tech forgot to reinstall the brake fluid cap on the reservoir after doing the 'brake fluid flush'. Fortunately I found that fubar right after I got home.

Lesson learned? Always ALWAYS do a pre-check of their work!!! It should not be necessary though, but I cannot trust ANYONE to work on my stuff as these are just two examples of oversights that I've had to deal with when someone else works on my vehicles over the past 40 years.

I'm in the airline industry and oversights can KILL and typically result in NTSB and FAA intervention. I ___CANNOT___ accept oversights in my PROFESSIONAL life, and I do not accept them in my PERSONAL life!!!!

So far, trying to contact the Service Manager and General Managers have resulted in, 'he's not in today, let me transfer you to his voicemail'. UGH.
Write the General Manager a letter and send it certified return receipt.
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 12:34   #3
3fordasho

Yep, pretty much the level of service I received from a Ford dealer on recall work, one car had to go back 2 or 3 times to get if right and the original recall work was pretty simple to begin with. As far as I know the worst my local VW dealer has done is to leave off some of the engine bottom cover fasteners.

On some of these higher volume recalls they hire additional help so it's not even their standard techs working on recalls. The quality of this additional help is usually pretty sub-par.

I typically fell better about the car after the free maintenance and even warranty is up so I am the only one touching it.

Quote:

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showgallery.php?cat=6853

3fordasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 16:50   #4
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Quote:

Let me get this straight. you do your own maintenance and haven't even opened the hood to check anything in almost 2000 miles?

When we preflight an airplane there are many things that we check every time every time every time no exceptions. We may never find a problem and really, a preflight is more about validated the aircrafts airworthiness..............
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 19:14   #5
bustNfuel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39-42

This is my daily driver and I do check under the hood often. I was surprised that I've already put 1,700 miles on it since the emissions reflash.
And really upset that I hadn't seen those airbox cover screws not fastened down until today. I only check the air filter when I change the oil. I just happened to glance over the airbox and noticed the screws as I was reaching for the hood to close it. Those black screws blend in with the black housing.

That still doesn't excuse any Certified Service Tech to forget to reinstall my brake reservoir cover (previous Jetta) and now these airbox screws.

Last edited by bustNfuel; September 8th, 2017 at 19:48.
bustNfuel is offline   Reply With Quote