www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old September 5th, 2017, 13:28   #16
740GLE
Veteran Member

Yeah the wife has never used either manual mode or sport mode. I've also been guilty of just mashing the peddle a little more in D just wanting the pull at taller gear rather than dip over to S or down shifting. Something about winding the engine above 3K doesn't seem right to me even thou I know that's where the real power is.

I was expecting the shudder, now I'm weighing the options if its worth going with a DSG tune, a reduced stage 2 tune or leaving as is and just be aware of it.

Again, you can't beat the simplicity of flashing in the garage in 20 minutes, I was able to change the cat litter boxs and bring back the trash cans from the curb all while getting more power.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 14:55   #17
raffshore

are you sure it's dsg shudder? It could be the dual mass having trouble with the torque at low rpm
raffshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 06:20   #18
740GLE
Veteran Member

I guess it's hard to tell the difference, from the butt dyno, is there a log I can take to tell the difference?

I thought it was the DSG and possible clutch slippage which reverberates in the DMF. If it is the DMF I'll probably be looking at a detune as changing the DMF isn't on the table for a daily driver.
Old September 6th, 2017, 19:35   #19
travis45
Veteran Member

My money is on DMF. Just drive around it and don't floor it at 1,000 RPM.
14 Sportwagen TDI CR170 Turbo, Rawtek turbo back exhaust, Malone Stage 3, CP3 Fuel Pump, Malone DSG Tune, Panzer, 19" Konig Oversteer Wheels, Fluidamper Crank Pulley, H&R 22mm rear sway bar. SOLD -96 Passat TDI 16" wheels, Custom grease kit, Evry Mod, Mufflerectomy, Bilstein TC's, TT lower rear control arm bushings.
travis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 05:20   #20
740GLE
Veteran Member

I'm thinking the RMPS were up a bit 1,8-2k and it wasn't floored, def didn't hit the kick down switch, just squeezing more umph out of her.

The wife has been driving this week and haven't noticed anything.
Old September 11th, 2017, 23:18   #21
roadlust
Veteran Member

DMF shudder happens under 22-23k. Put in manual mode floor it above 23k and see if it happens.
Old September 12th, 2017, 05:24   #22
740GLE
Veteran Member

I had some more seat time with the car, it seems to happen right between 1.7-1.8K, I was able to feel it when romping on it from a rolling stop, I think it was in 3rd but the RPMS were moving quickly up to 3k to shift.

The more pronounced feeling is in higher gears in 5th or 6th and pulling, it sits in that RPM band longer, I think enough for the ECU to pull fuel.

Looks like its happening under peak torque, which is what 2.2-2.3K, 1.8K is probably right where the tune has the torque deviating a ton from stock and the DSG can't keep up with stock programing.

The more and more I'm thinking about it, I may go for a stage 1.5 tune to see if we can still keep the low speed pick up and have 75% of the highway pull of the stage 2. If the stock shifting of the DSG was lethargic or bugging me I may look at a DSG tune, but the '15 stock DSG shifts pretty darn fast.

I did do a couple pulls shifting up to 3,500 when the wife wasn't in the car, thing is a "rocket" compared to stock.
Old September 13th, 2017, 05:57   #23
Kevinski4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
I had some more seat time with the car, it seems to happen right between 1.7-1.8K, I was able to feel it when romping on it from a rolling stop, I think it was in 3rd but the RPMS were moving quickly up to 3k to shift.

The more pronounced feeling is in higher gears in 5th or 6th and pulling, it sits in that RPM band longer, I think enough for the ECU to pull fuel.

Looks like its happening under peak torque, which is what 2.2-2.3K, 1.8K is probably right where the tune has the torque deviating a ton from stock and the DSG can't keep up with stock programing.

The more and more I'm thinking about it, I may go for a stage 1.5 tune to see if we can still keep the low speed pick up and have 75% of the highway pull of the stage 2. If the stock shifting of the DSG was lethargic or bugging me I may look at a DSG tune, but the '15 stock DSG shifts pretty darn fast.

I did do a couple pulls shifting up to 3,500 when the wife wasn't in the car, thing is a "rocket" compared to stock.
Peak torque with your tune is right where you are feeling the DMF shuddering, ~1800rpm. It's the flywheel, not the transmission. Have you talked to your Malone dealer yet about trimming torque right in that area? You don't need to go to a 1.5 (one doesn't exist for your car anyway) and the slight drop in peak torque isn't enough to notice by the seat of your pants.

It's an easy and free fix. A few minutes at your Malone dealer and you'll be back on the road, DMF shudder free, with no perceivable loss of power.

I am a Malone Tuning dealer in Eastern WI, including Common Rails and DSG! Visit our website: www.facebook.com/wisconsindiesel
Full Jeep Liberty CRD service!
Forget Clean Air, It's a Power and Money Grab
Kevinski4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 06:27   #24
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinski4 View Post
Peak torque with your tune is right where you are feeling the DMF shuddering, ~1800rpm. It's the flywheel, not the transmission. Have you talked to your Malone dealer yet about trimming torque right in that area? You don't need to go to a 1.5 (one doesn't exist for your car anyway) and the slight drop in peak torque isn't enough to notice by the seat of your pants.
It's an easy and free fix. A few minutes at your Malone dealer and you'll be back on the road, DMF shudder free, with no perceivable loss of power.
Seeing I bought online with flashzilla, it's on the list of things to do, just need to send the email.

BTW on Malones site it appears peak torque its more of ~2.1-2.2K, but it does make sense.
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:51   #25
Kevinski4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Seeing I bought online with flashzilla, it's on the list of things to do, just need to send the email.
BTW on Malones site it appears peak torque its more of ~2.1-2.2K, but it does make sense.

I am a Malone Tuning dealer in Eastern WI, including Common Rails and DSG! Visit our website: www.facebook.com/wisconsindiesel
Full Jeep Liberty CRD service!
Forget Clean Air, It's a Power and Money Grab
Kevinski4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 08:20   #26
raffshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinski4 View Post
I agree
raffshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 13:09   #27
740GLE
Veteran Member

Ahh I was looking at the pretty looking smoothed out graph.
Old September 14th, 2017, 18:27   #28
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving

A fluidampr made DMF shudder disappear in my '15 golf with stage 2 eco tune. It's not cheap, but it does work!
Currently running a SMF, so problem solved permanently
The lower timing belt cover will need some trimming/sanding, or the pulley will rub on it when installed.

Last edited by adjat84th; September 14th, 2017 at 18:30.
adjat84th is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 09:27   #29
740GLE
Veteran Member

Where did you source the fluidampr from?

At this point a "de-tune" is going to be my easiest option.

As for SMF, I'm assuming you have 6MT, not DSG. I'd have to say the DMFs and their inherent shudders may be different due to different parts.
Old September 16th, 2017, 05:23   #30
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving

INA in the vendor section has a thread there. I believe I posted my review in there as well.
Yes, 6MT so likely different DMF but certainly same design. I believe German Diesel Motorwerks has done an SMF upgrade in a DSG. Not sure what the progress on that was though.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

adjat84th is online now   Reply With Quote