www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old September 5th, 2017, 05:06   #1
740GLE
Veteran Member

Default 2015 Passat Malone Stage 2 now with DSG shudder

This is a '15 Passat with phase 1 fix.

Before I bought the tune, I was aware there is a possibility of the DSG shudder under heavy acceleration in higher gears now that I've have it, looking to cure it. So while I've felt it 4 or 5 times since installing, mainly it's been pulling away from toll booths or merging on ramps, while not full throttle, but rpms up around 2-2,5K and defiantly feeding her. After a couple seconds of shudder, you can feel power dial back and everything is back to normal.

While I know this shudder isn't good for the DMF, the DSG is doing what it's supposed to do and dialing back the power, are there any long term side affects if this is once and a while occurrence or is it something to be avoided at all costs.

Today will be the first day the wife drives it, I'll be interested if she notices the shudder, she was in the car this past weekend with the new tune, but never said anything when it shuddered.

We put on 600 miles since the tune mostly highway/country roads and I'll agree with the another members review that it's as if the ECU was given a large coffee or 6 pack of jolt. The car just seems to want to cruise and pull way more willingly. Even with the crazy tall gearing of the '15 DSG at 60mph at 1,6-1,7RPM squeeze the peddle, gives pretty instant pull up to 70-75, where before it just felt lethargic, maybe a down shift. Initial tip in and pull from slow speeds and stops reminds me more of my '10 jetta manual when I stood on it. While I haven't floored it, very happy with the results and hope the wife.

So can you mix and match DSG tunes with stage tunes? While I have close access to a Malone dealer, just curious if you're locked into Malone or if any other DSG tuner will be able to offer something.

So who offers a DSG tune for the '15 Passats?
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 06:39   #2
Kevinski4

The DSG isn't 'dialing back power' you are just passing through peak torque. Have your dealer email Malone and tell him you have some shudder. Malone will pull a little fuel out of the ECU tune in that RPM range and you can motor on without worry.

I am a Malone Tuning dealer in Eastern WI, including Common Rails and DSG! Visit our website: www.facebook.com/wisconsindiesel
Full Jeep Liberty CRD service!
Forget Clean Air, It's a Power and Money Grab
Kevinski4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 07:52   #3
740GLE
Veteran Member

It is dialing back power, it is noticeable reduction in power and shudder goes away with constant peddle position.

I've just noticed it 4-5 times now with 600 miles since flashing. Will the DSG eventually learn what the ECU can put out and preemptive dial back under certain parameters or will the ECU force the DSG to restrict power after it notices a shudder?

I'm all for keeping the power and fixing with a DSG tune depending on availability of solutions.
Old September 5th, 2017, 07:58   #4
jerrymander
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 286 lbft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
It is dialing back power, it is noticeable reduction in power and shudder goes away with constant peddle position.
Which could just mean it passed through a torque peak. We can't know. Contact your tuner. No dunderheads on the forum can even begin to fix this issue.

Didn't Malone have a DSG tune for the Passat? I don't recall.
jerrymander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 08:57   #5
Owain@malonetuning

Alientech still hasn't released software for most 2015+ DSGs. I think unitronic APR and maybe eurodyne are the only ones on the market with DSG tunes right now. You can use whoever you'd like for DSG software but I don't think there's a good solution in NA right now. Regularly getting asked by customers from other tuners, mostly gas, for DSG files. This shudder seems to happen on a small percentage of passats, both auto and manual, and doesn't seem to happen on the golf/jettas. Mark already reduced torque output in the first place a tad to try to keep it from happening.

Please shoot me an email at info@malonetuning.com and we'll resolve this. Should reduce torque by about 10% or flash the dsg. Can also reduce torque by gear if you'd like to dial it in better, but best to be on the safe side.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Last edited by Owain@malonetuning; September 5th, 2017 at 10:40.
Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 09:14   #6
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymander View Post
Which could just mean it passed through a torque peak. We can't know. Contact your tuner. No dunderheads on the forum can even begin to fix this issue.

Didn't Malone have a DSG tune for the Passat? I don't recall.

Agree that without logs I'm just going by butt dyno, it just seemed to be pulling quite strong and once shudder was felt it, was pretty noticeable dial back of "pulling".

I may try a reduced tune that Owain mentioned, I am conversing with him over PM. I'd just hate to lose the feel at the lower speeds, as I'm very happy with how it's woken the car up over stock.

Last edited by 740GLE; September 5th, 2017 at 09:56.
Old September 5th, 2017, 09:28   #7
Enabled
Veteran Member

Too bad no one experimented with flashing the DSG using Euro factory files for the 187hp Passat, or even the biturbo 237hp Passat. Wouldn't have to wait on Alientech to release protocols.
-BMW Z3 M Coupe (1 of 36)
Enabled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 09:41   #8
KERMA

2015 passat is no problem for dsg tune. Been doing them for quite a while. Post fix they adjusted the sport mode shift maps in the DSG to not hang as long in each gear before shifting but otherwise pretty much identical.

You could also ask your tuner to adjust the engine tune to retain the acceleration and lose the shudder. It is generally more of a can-bus calibration issue than anything, which can be adjusted out in the ecu tune.
No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical. - Neils Bohr
KERMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 09:55   #9
Owain@malonetuning

Good to know, have had some success and some failure on 2015 DSGs and alientech has been stalling for months on a software update. Have other tools that'll tune them, but they're mostly for R&D and distributors don't have them. Guess that simplifies things if I can just send him a kess so consider it resolved.

Old September 5th, 2017, 09:58   #10
740GLE
Veteran Member

DSG tunes on the '15 are thru the TCU port correct?
Old September 5th, 2017, 10:00   #11
Owain@malonetuning

Correct, only OBD is the PDs and R32/TT with this tool. Pretty straight forward process, TCM read takes longer than dis&re assembly.

Old September 5th, 2017, 10:07   #12
KERMA

Only problem is the 2015 golfs. There's a lot of them!

Passats, jettas, A3 are good to go.

surprised you didn't know that.
Old September 5th, 2017, 10:18   #13
Owain@malonetuning

Vast majority are golfs and fewer DSGs getting tuned than manuals. I mostly do R&D and we don't flash customer cars in house typically so it's been a few months since I've touched a DSG. At least Mark knows and that's what matters, I don't make the tunes just help with development. Tuesday morning blunder on my part.

Old September 5th, 2017, 10:34   #14
KERMA

its all good, happy to help
Old September 5th, 2017, 10:46   #15
travis45
Veteran Member

Drive in sport mode. It helps by keeping the rpms in a higher range. I also installed a fluid damper crank pulley which helped slightly.
14 Sportwagen TDI CR170 Turbo, Rawtek turbo back exhaust, Malone Stage 3, CP3 Fuel Pump, Malone DSG Tune, Panzer, H&R 22mm rear sway bar. SOLD -96 Passat TDI 16" wheels, Custom grease kit, Evry Mod, Mufflerectomy, Bilstein TC's, TT lower rear control arm bushings.
travis45 is offline   Reply With Quote