www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old August 31st, 2017, 07:56   #1
3baudios

TDI(s): 00 golf GLS
Fuel Economy: 49
Default tdi into 80's toyota van

Has this swap been done? they are RWD so i would assume they share the transmission with a toyota 2wd truck? is there enough room?
3baudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2017, 09:13   #2
Bad_Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3baudios View Post
Has this swap been done? they are RWD so i would assume they share the transmission with a toyota 2wd truck? is there enough room?
The alh TDI is taller then the 22r engine. For my swap I had to do 2" body lift to shut the hood and to clear the vacuum pump against the firewall. Not sure the van would clear but as for the trans it will mate for sure with the adapter plate sold by Acme.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Bad_Vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2017, 10:06   #3
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

I didn't get a chance to work on many of these back in the day, but my memory is that the stock gasser engine is canted at something like 45 degrees from vertical.

My guess is that you would need to do the same, perhaps working to shorten the height of the intake manifold.

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2017, 15:00   #4
1.9ZOOK
Veteran Member

TDI(s): ALH Samurai
Fuel Economy: pending

Raise the dog house!
1.9ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2017, 18:58   #5
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

The Toyota TownAce sold in North America as the Van used the 4Y pushrod engine and it's sitting vertically. I don't know for sure but I suspect that engine is even shorter than a 20R/22R. The obviously OHC engine in the photo is probably a 2C non-turbo diesel. I'd say there's a fighting chance that the VW engine block and head would fit in the van but the accessories around it are anyone's guess; it's a pretty tight engine compartment. I can tell by the photo that the intake manifold on the VW engine is on the "wrong" side compared to the original Toyota diesel engine. The later Previa is the one with the engine canted over at a steep angle.

It's been a long time since I've seen one of the TownAce-style Vans on the road. Around here, they all rusted out a long time ago, and weren't considered to be worth saving. I drove one of these once when shopping for a vehicle back in the day. Slow, and yet scary at the same time. Best way to describe ride and handling is that there wasn't any.
GoFaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 02:12   #6
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

i have a 2ct lite ace and the engine is nowhere near 45 degrees, maybe you're thinking of the previa that had a nearly horizontal four config ? i think an ALH could be made to fit as it's not really much taller than a 2c and i have to disagree on it being taller than a 22r (which was never offered in a NA toy van) 22r is a very tall four banger with it's massive VC housing an oversized rocker rail ... ALH is a relatively compact power dense unit
Old September 1st, 2017, 02:17   #7
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

the van trans, if manual, is a modified version of the w series truck box, so theoretically you could use a 22r bell and a craptastic a**e adapter ... or you just buy this entire lite ace 2ct 4wd i have rotting away and swap the entire driveline
Old September 1st, 2017, 03:28   #8
3baudios

The van sold very quickly. I'm trying to find something that will seat the whole family and I can put my ALH into
Old September 1st, 2017, 03:35   #9
Windex
Veteran Member

Mazda 5

Old September 1st, 2017, 04:20   #10
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Lots of Vanagon VAG inline engine swaps running around. Someone here even has one with an ALH in it.
Old September 1st, 2017, 05:27   #11
vtpsd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45mpg avg

Quote:
The van sold very quickly. I'm trying to find something that will seat the whole family and I can put my ALH into
ALH jetta wagon? already comes with factory TDI conversion.
Old September 1st, 2017, 05:59   #12
3baudios

I've had a vanagon, they rust out quickly and are now becoming very very expensive. Looking for something that seats six or seven and was built before 1995 . Don't want to have to plug it in for state inspection
Old September 1st, 2017, 06:27   #13
Windex
Veteran Member

Quote:
I've had a vanagon, they rust out quickly and are now becoming very very expensive. Looking for something that seats six or seven and was built before 1995 . Don't want to have to plug it in for state inspection
FWD, seats 6 - 1966 Olds toronado:

Perfect car to convert

Old September 1st, 2017, 08:37   #14
3baudios

Awesome!!!
Old September 1st, 2017, 08:43   #15
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
I've had a vanagon, they rust out quickly
And the Toyotas didn't????

In your area especially, ANYTHING from 1995 and older is likely to be riddled with rust issues, and anything that you'd buy from that era that has not been subjected to the salt will soon be.

I am not sure what exactly you are after here, nor do I know how large your family is (or will be). However I do think that any older vehicle, especially something as fiddly and hands on as something that has an engine swapped into it that was not there before, is going to fall far more into the hobby car category than a reliable family vehicle.

And I am also not sure that going for something that old strictly to avoid an annual inspection is necessarily the wisest choice either, given the fact that it will almost certainly be less of a headache to maintain a newer as-built vehicle, inspections and all, to carry your family around. Even if it is gasoline fueled.