www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old August 9th, 2017, 12:07   #16
respond2us
Veteran Member

I respectfully disagree. I see it as taking care of customers, or saying you'll pass.
To pass is short-sighted...here's why. As my signature states, I currently own 2 JSW's and I've had TDI's since '04. Aren't I exactly the customer a tuning company would want? I might have the other JSW tuned after this one if I like it. Since Kerma jumped in and said they'd take care of me, I also ordered a six sigma shifter from them this morning. And my buddy has a '12 JSW that he's going to tune once he sees how I like mine. Basically has his wallet out, waiting on my impression.
Not only that, but Kerma going out of their way and taking a chance could potentially cement me as a die-hard Kerma fan. So, when I meet someone else with a TDI, guess who I'm going to refer?

But yeah...there's only a 50% chance of making a sale. (Where's that eye roll emoji when I need it?) I'm no mathematician, but what's Malone's chance of making a sale now?

But I guess I need to realize it's a business.
Old August 9th, 2017, 12:31   #17
Owain@malonetuning

Kerma is cheaper and you've already ordered through them so that pretty well cements it. I offered, and would be more keen if you had VCDS and a dyno handy, but it sounds like you've already made your decision.

A personal preference opinion of the two files could go either way, and results in an opinion based forum thread that isn't backed with data. That's not really useful for consumers and there's plenty of word of mouth for both companies as it is. I agree it's a potential sale, but I'm not going to fight for it or make a stink on the forums. We've dealt with a lot of negativity from Kerma and I don't really want to feed into it. You're more than welcome to send me a pm or email if you're interested in software.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2017, 12:43   #18
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I'll say that I'm very well pleased with my 200 hp stage 3.5 Malone tune, and will be a return customer when I toss on a gtb2056 or 2260.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2017, 12:45   #19
Owain@malonetuning

Closer to 200 wheel on that setup, and we'll have something bigger for it soon enough

Old August 9th, 2017, 12:49   #20
respond2us
Veteran Member

Awesome...sounds like a monster.
Old August 14th, 2017, 18:07   #21
jerrymander
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 286 lbft

Quote:
Originally Posted by respond2us View Post
Aren't I exactly the customer a tuning company would want?
No, because you want to argue with the cashier about the product when there's people standing in line behind you, money in fist.

Additionally, you are not going to notice a difference between a Kerma and Malone tune, so the first reply in this thread was sufficient.
jerrymander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2017, 18:35   #22
respond2us
Veteran Member

You know, this conversation ended pretty amicably until you chimed in.
Did I argue with someone? Did I keep other customers "with money in fist" from purchasing? Good lord.
Old August 16th, 2017, 12:47   #23
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

There is also Mike at TDTuning.com and he doesn't get a lot of press these days. He did my first tune 8 years ago, and did my current upgraded tune as well.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, 35/15% Tint, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, Stage 4 TDTuning, PP764's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 13:01   #24
respond2us
Veteran Member

I checked out his site, but I don't see any info on there.
Old August 16th, 2017, 21:11   #25
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Send Mike an email to sales@tdtuning.com; he had been spending a lot of time in Europe, but his shop in Las Vegas, Nevada, is easy to reach.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, 35/15% Tint, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, Stage 4 TDTuning, PP764's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2017, 15:33   #26
Yourbuddysatin

I'm building an alh 2.0 engine with a gtb2260 turbo set up. Aiming for 300hp. I'd like to know what tuners have the ability to make a tune or tunes for that set up?
Yourbuddysatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2017, 17:37   #27
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Here's a video of my '11 golf w Malone tune on a mustang dyno at Diesel Fuel Systems in Bangor, ME:

http://goo.gl/photos/E7d2vnv1v9JffG4T7

Last edited by turbobrick240; August 22nd, 2017 at 17:58.
Old August 22nd, 2017, 18:17   #28
Owain@malonetuning

Wow, that was a very long run with a lot of smoke, surprised it didn't hit an EGT limiter. I run these pretty frequently (albeit a 10-12 second run) and see probably a 1/4 of that. Usually have rear fans going though so it's dispersed quickly.

Since you're out in PA I'd get a hold of rocketchip, Jeff is local to you. I'd hope all the major tuners can work with a 2260 ALH, it's a fairly common setup, sure Jeff won't have a problem but know he's super busy.

Last edited by Owain@malonetuning; August 22nd, 2017 at 18:21.
Old August 22nd, 2017, 18:25   #29
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Yeah, I was surprised by the amount of smoke as well. My egt sensors are swapped, so that's probably why it wasn't bouncing off the limiter. The golf was idling with the a.c. on for about an hour before the pull, so I'm thinking the intercooler may have been heat soaked. They have quite the heartbreaker mustang up there. Good for a baseline anyhow. Need to do some data logging and maybe a few quarter mile passes to see what's up.
Old August 22nd, 2017, 18:33   #30
Owain@malonetuning

Idling for awhile will definitely result in some nasty clouds. Can kind of build it up over the course of a tank too driving easy, have noticed headlights behind me getting a little dim on stock pre dpf cars before. Was running a kill-mode tune on the 335D the other night and after letting it idle for ~20 it violently shot about triple that amount 20ft, thought something was wrong with it at first. Made over 200lb-ft over stock with an exhaust and tune on the first run so can't complain