www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old August 8th, 2017, 15:49   #1
respond2us
Veteran Member

Cool Tuning...all these choices!

Ok, I've been looking all over this forum but haven't found much about the differences between Malone Stage 2 and Kerma tunes. Mostly, it's just people saying they like theirs, but no real comparisons.

So, I'm not asking which one is best... that seems to be the debate. I'm just wondering how does a person decide which one to go with? They're roughly the same power, people seem to be happy with both. The only potentially negative thing I read is that Kerma has some sort of shudder in top gear? I don't understand that, maybe I read it wrong.

If I'm not mistaken, the malone has to be shipped off to a shop but the kerma can be downloaded to a q-loader?

Any thoughts? I get my car "fixed" next week (emissions), and I'd like to immediately get a tune after that. I pull a small camper sometimes so the extra power would be appreciated. But also I'd like a little better power when I'm just commuting, and fuel economy increases are also fun.

My car is a 6 speed manual, stock motor otherwise.
Old August 8th, 2017, 16:40   #2
RoseBud68
Veteran Member

Flip a coin.....They are both great.
Old August 8th, 2017, 18:20   #3
PGM jetta
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 05 Jetta BEW

What I did: contacted both and told them what I wanted out of my car and went with the one that was the most helpful and willing, not the salesman

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
PGM jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 19:40   #4
KERMA

I'd be willing to let the OP "try before you buy" to facilitate an informed decision.

Try ours, try theirs, pay for the one you want to keep.
No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical. - Neils Bohr
KERMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 21:59   #5
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Charlie, that is a very stand-up-guy thing to do; what does Owain think about your offer?
Malone uses a Flashzilla IIRC, basically the same procedure for either shops' tune; upload your stock file and email it off and then a modified file will show up and that is the one you install to your ECU.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, 35/15% Tint, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, Stage 4 TDTuning, PP764's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel

Last edited by Nevada_TDI; August 8th, 2017 at 22:02.
Nevada_TDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 22:49   #6
respond2us
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KERMA View Post
I'd be willing to let the OP "try before you buy" to facilitate an informed decision.

Try ours, try theirs, pay for the one you want to keep.
I'm impressed that you'd be willing to let me test it. Let's do it.
Old August 9th, 2017, 11:22   #7
respond2us
Veteran Member

KermaTDI has been awesome to work with so far...they're sending me a tune to test out, but from what I see so far of the guys that work there...stand up group. Very impressed.
Old August 9th, 2017, 12:22   #8
Owain@malonetuning

Kerma uses the same tools as us, so the process is the same. We can email files as well and have more distributors.

I've dyno tested both files, but it'd be unprofessional for me to post that info publicly trying to persuade people to swap or falsely advertise a major difference between the two. Truth is we're both stuck working around EGT limiters and the differences aren't that massive between the files. We run a dynapack, which is what most of the higher end professional tuners use as it's far more accurate for development.

All Mark does is tuning, he doesn't deal directly with customers and we have someone dedicated to dealing with distributors as well. Mark literally does files all day for a variety of platforms. We tune all German diesels, regularly do big turbo files and are very familiar with these ECUs. Competitor has only a couple options.

Doing fine as it is, don't really need to entertain what "feels" better or start forum drama. Those that have been around awhile know the story. If you want to put both files on a dyno or plan on doing a turbo swap, let me know.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Last edited by Owain@malonetuning; August 9th, 2017 at 17:16.
Owain@malonetuning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2017, 12:30   #9
respond2us
Veteran Member

Fair enough, though it would have been cool to test both. Oh, well.
Old August 9th, 2017, 12:32   #10
Owain@malonetuning

You're always welcome to try, have no problem refunding on products if people aren't happy with them. Just not willing to fight over a tune sale, we're doing fine as it is.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Last edited by Owain@malonetuning; August 9th, 2017 at 13:44.
Owain@malonetuning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2017, 12:41   #11
respond2us
Veteran Member

I didn't get the feeling that anyone was fighting over anything, or even making much of an argument about which tune is "better". Sounds like they're both pretty similar tunes. From what I've seen, Malone might be better for someone who is planning to make hardware changes to their car, and Kerma is better for people who want to keep their engine hardware closer to stock. You mentioned this being "a tune sale", but I guess I see it more like taking good care of people, and maybe that would turn into more than just a sale. I was pretty impressed that Kerma would send me one to just test out, and, assuming I love it, I'll probably tell everyone I know that has these cars about it.

Just my 2 cents, but IF I had been in your position (of course I'm not), I might have sent one to test also. I haven't seen any Malone/Kerma comparisons using the same car on this forum (maybe I missed it), but it could have been kind of a fun comparo. You know, apples to apples.

Or not.
Old August 9th, 2017, 12:53   #12
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I doubt Kermas tune is any better for stock cars. And probably not any worse.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2017, 12:55   #13
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Jeff at Rocketchip is another great option.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2017, 12:56   #14
respond2us
Veteran Member

I see your point on that. I phrased it incorrectly. Maybe I should have said Malone if you're planning to modify your hardware, or either of the companies if you're not.
Good catch.
Old August 9th, 2017, 12:58   #15
h4vok
Veteran Member

You have to realize that its a business and if there is only a 50% chance of making a sale while still putting in the same effort that is losing money. Not that money is everything, but Kerma is already taking care of you and he even said the tunes are very similar. For you to just test it he would have to ship a tuner which another customer would not be able to use in the mean time and also pay for shipping on top of making your file. Just does not make a lot of sense for him to do that at this point. If Kerma was not offering a test the story may be different.

h4vok is offline   Reply With Quote