www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old September 2nd, 2017, 09:38   #46
TDI-T

TDI(s): 97 AHU

Well, I'm finally about to tear into this. The engine is on a stand and ready to be disassembled. One sort of major question:

I can lock my injection pump and cam, but what is the best way to ensure my crankshaft goes in at exactly the right location for the new sprocket I purchased? Just make sure the flat spot of the crank is in the same location? That seems less than precise, but maybe that is the only way?
TDI-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2017, 09:50   #47
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

A simple way would be to fab a pointer for the flywheel mark before disassembly.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 10:05   #48
TDI-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee View Post
A simple way would be to fab a pointer for the flywheel mark before disassembly.
Any ideas if I don't have a flex plate or flywheel? I've got my harmonic balancer marked with the plastic front cover, but on this conversion you remove the VW flywheel - hence why I marked the balancer.

Seems that balancer is pretty picky about the way it goes on. If I bolt up the new sprocket and use the balancer mark I made will that still be correct?

Trying to double check things before I pull it apart and get lost.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 11:54   #49
jmodge
Veteran Member

I believe if you find TDC of #1 piston that is where you want your crank timed. Dial indicator if the head is off, or a stop located in the injector bore or threaded in to the glow plug hole. You could then rotate the engine forward, mark the pully at contact, then backward, mark the pulley at contact, and TDC would be between the 2 points.
Is that help you? Wait awhile, If I am off base or there is a better way, someone will chime in, but I seem to remember someone on the blog mentioning this as working for them.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 15:18   #50
TDI-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmodge View Post
I believe if you find TDC of #1 piston that is where you want your crank timed. Dial indicator if the head is off, or a stop located in the injector bore or threaded in to the glow plug hole. You could then rotate the engine forward, mark the pully at contact, then backward, mark the pulley at contact, and TDC would be between the 2 points.
Is that help you? Wait awhile, If I am off base or there is a better way, someone will chime in, but I seem to remember someone on the blog mentioning this as working for them.
Well, I've currently got it at TDC. I'm wondering how easily I can just drop in the crank, connect the rods and still be close? Once I get the sprocket back on and the harmonic balancer I wonder if that will help me fine tune it?

Can I just move the adjuster pulley to remove the timing belt and then do the reverse to put it back on? I will mark the direction of the belt.
Old September 6th, 2017, 15:57   #51
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-T View Post
Well, I've currently got it at TDC. I'm wondering how easily I can just drop in the crank, connect the rods and still be close? Once I get the sprocket back on and the harmonic balancer I wonder if that will help me fine tune it?
Can I just move the adjuster pulley to remove the timing belt and then do the reverse to put it back on? I will mark the direction of the belt.
You can use the gp or injector hole and use a dial indicator to find the TDC.
2003 JSW 1.8T future TDI, silver. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 14:37   #52
TDI-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovan+tdi View Post
You can use the gp or injector hole and use a dial indicator to find the TDC.
Cool. Good to know if I need to. Mains and rods are in, just need to torque down now. Just double checking things first as my bolts are new and I don't want to re-torque them.
Old September 7th, 2017, 15:56   #53
TDI-T

Is there an order as to which main bearing cap to torque first, second and so on? I don't see one in my FSM? Lots of oil on my new bolts. I hope that is okay? I'm seeing lots of different info during searches regarding oiling the main bolts on an AHU.

Last edited by TDI-T; September 7th, 2017 at 16:56.
Old September 8th, 2017, 13:00   #54
smelly621
Veteran Member

I could have sworn my manual had an order specified, but in absence of one you could probably use the same rationale as the cam cap tightening order.

I would be wary of significant amounts of oil on the main bolts - don't want to have so much that you end up compressing it at the bottom of the bolt hole and cracking the block.

I don't think I oiled my main bolts on the ALH. Specified torque + the final 90 degrees seemed quite snug to me.
smelly621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 13:58   #55
TDI-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelly621 View Post
I could have sworn my manual had an order specified, but in absence of one you could probably use the same rationale as the cam cap tightening order..
Thanks for the response! I'm thinking of going 3,2,4,1,5. I wonder if the ALH has an order?

I put a small amount of oil on the threads, but pretty light overall I think.
Old September 16th, 2017, 18:56   #56
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Doesn't matter, the crank is loose, it isn't being flattened down by numerous bolts. Start in the middle, end etc.
2003 JSW 1.8T future TDI, silver. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote