www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old February 27th, 2017, 16:53   #16
iwannajettatdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/49/46

Oh, I also mocked up some motor mounts with fancy CAD (cardboard aided design) and dropped them off with a local fab shop, hopefully should have them soon. I'm going to attempt to drop the tank and figure out what to do with the old gas/swap the diesel lift pump in today/tomorrow. Is there anything else in the gas system that will need to be swapped over? There's a gas fuel filter in line underneath the driver's seat and in front of the tank, should that stay or can I get rid of it since the TDIs have the fuel filter right on the block? It's probably half the distance from the Eurovan tank to the engine compared to the Passat wagon, will I need any sort of inline fuel pump for the pressure?
DEAD-99.5 A4 Jetta, 349,919 miles RIPieces
iwannajettatdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 10:03   #17
Josh_WA
Veteran Member

I haven't needed a lift pump to get the diesel to the engine from the tank with my AHU conversion. I'm even using the full length of fuel line from the jetta donor. I removed the gas fuel filter, and using a the diesel fuel filter near the injection pump.

You'll need to remove 3 pieces of metal bracket fused to the bottom of the tank after you pull out the gas pump, or it will keep the diesel fuel sender from resting on the bottom. I forget which way, but you rotate the gas pump off the brackets to remove it. I pried out those brackets, then used a dremel to cut the remaining interfering plastic away. You can also enlarge the fuel tank inlet to allow for the larger diesel pump nozzle while the tank is out. You won't want to realize at the pump that it hadn't been enlarged yet.

Last edited by Josh_WA; February 28th, 2017 at 10:06.
Josh_WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 08:05   #18
archemitis
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

LOL, I really like the CAD!
I too was wondering if a lift pump would help. The fuel tank on my 1974 transporter is near the front of the vehicle with the engine in the back, and it never seemed to want a lift pump. I run an inline filter near the fuel tank to catch large items before they get to the real fuel filter.
That shiney port might just be the stock EGR favoring one cylinder more than the others?
Thanks for the pictures! Looking good!
archemitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 13:55   #19
iwannajettatdi
Veteran Member

I've got the motor in/hanging on its own motor mounts now, and I just finished taking apart the Passat BHW wiring harness. I've got some inner T5 CV joints coming from Poland, supposedly :, and I'm hoping that they will be able to get me started on the axles. I'm still mired deep in the wiring nonsense right now, but I think I'll be able to swap the Passat's ABS pump/computer in place of the EV one so the ECU accepts it. And I'll have to pare down a bunch of the wires since the EV ESP controller/ABS computer is 88 pins vs the 42ish for the Passat. Yay for wiring diagrams.

One thing I didn't count on is the shift box I got from the Audi TT has the same left/right cable movement, but the fore/aft movement is reversed on the T5 box. I can't decide if I want to make a small level system at the gearbox end to reverse the current fore/aft throw, or if I want to get a shifter from a T5 and try to retrofit it in. The T5 shifters are mounted on the dash though, and I'm not so keen on the idea of having to make a new console for it to fit.

I was able to also swap over the in tank lift pump from the Passat after dropping/draining the EV tank. I'll be interested to see how it fits/works, the EV pump is a slightly different design that the Passat's is, and the float arm is on a different side. I think I've been able to rotate it around and adjust it appropriately, but I won't know until I'm able to run a few tanks of diesel through and calculate mileages. I decided to cut a small access hatch in the carpet though so it will be fairly easy to access the lift pump in the future. I plan on getting some rubber mat to cover the carpet up front anyways, so I'm not worried about the two cuts in the carpet.

Dang, so much still left to do, but I feel like I've made a ton of progress this past week with just the tank and wiring. I'm hoping that once the wiring gets sorted, the rest will just start falling into place.

Some messy pictures from my 1.5 car garage, pardon the disaster esque look of the place. :-X

Firewall clearance. I'm going to have to reposition the turbo vacuum acuator slightly to clear the fire wall. I didn't want to use the BFH too much, but I bet I could have made it fit.

Swapped the BHW exhaust manifold for one from a B4 passat. Lost the EGT port on the BHW manifold, but I think I've got it figured out how to get it back inline. I had to make an adapter plate to spin the turbo about 30* too since it was at a different angle in the Passat. Here is the Passat exhaust manifold, you can see how the turbo is angled back to fit the starter and AC compressor on that side of the engine in the longitudinal configuration.

Here are the two fuel pumps side by side, the Passat pump doesn't have the floating top section and doesn't need the locking ring on the bottom of the tank either. But since the EV tank is slightly angled under the lift pump hole I couldn't get the Passat's pump to spin all the way around to where I wanted it for the fuel level float. We'll see how off it actually is.

Next time I don't even think I'll need to take the E-brake cover off.

And the beginning of the mess...

Just to try and clean up the floor a little all the wiring for the engine plugs is laying up here now. I think I'll have connections from the EV and can get rid of the Passat side for a lot of these guys. Plus I can get rid of all the VR6 side of the wiring once I figure out what is needed and what isn't. I'm going to try and use the EV fuse block, I haven't quite figured out where I am going to put all the relays for the TDI yet. But I just went through and disconnected everything that was hooked up in the engine compartment and went through the firewall. It makes it kind of a mess for now, but once I'm able to weed through/out the things like the lights and wipers, HVAC and double connections I should be good to go. I have the entire CANBUS wiring for the Passat as well, but the EV has a much neater/nicer system with the block that all the CANBUS cables connect into on the right side of the fuse block. They're all just factory soldered/sealed in the Passat. Bush league, ha.

So anyways, onward and upward. I think once I'm able to get power back to the ECU and can start pruning pieces out of the EV wiring harness that aren't needed I'll feel better about all of this.

Last edited by iwannajettatdi; April 3rd, 2017 at 14:30.
Old July 28th, 2017, 20:22   #20
iwannajettatdi
Veteran Member

Hmm, it appears photobucket has decided to charge a ransom to post my pictures online... I'll have to swap them around.

Not much has happened since the last post. More wiring nonsense. I wasn't happy with the location of everything with the first set of mounts, I've decided to rework things. The biggest issue is getting the transfer case output past the steering rack. The rack needs to move up or down about 2"/5cm. I don't really want to do this for fear of bump steer, I may just get things in with a slight angle and worry about it later when I'm getting back to making the 4motion work and bolting the rear diff in.

Does anyone know which direction a T3/vanagon steering rack goes with clockwise/anticlockwise rotation when viewed from the front? If it works the correct way I may be able to use it instead as it's the same width, just lower profile.

Still waiting on the machine shop to have my new hubs ready. I wish I had the lathe and welder big enough to do it myself, but alas, I don't. Hoping to have this rolling by the fall, especially by the winter. Too much work, travel and work around the house the past few months to do too much else on the van.
Old July 29th, 2017, 11:47   #21
Zeitgeist

Wow, it's a real bummer about those pics. I'm seriously contemplating a Syncro/TDI swap for my EV.
'01 Eurovan Weekender AXK --> (ALH Syncro?)
Past: '96 Passat 1Z
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2017, 13:42   #22
iwannajettatdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
Wow, it's a real bummer about those pics. I'm seriously contemplating a Syncro/TDI swap for my EV.
If I didn't care as much about the gear ratios, I could have been done by now. The T4 syncro gearboxes (02d and 02g(VR6)) bolt right in and things just work. One of the parts guys in Europe is working on an adapter to put a TDI to a VR6 02g transmission, haven't heard anything else about it yet. Since I knew I wanted a higher horsepower TDI and I wanted better/different gear ratios I'm being ridiculous and fitting a T5 4motion gearbox with the plan of fitting the T5 rear/4motion/Haldex controller with a standalone controller. Should be fun when it's ready, getting it there though... A process. I still have the pics, anything in particular you're interested in?
Old July 29th, 2017, 14:52   #23
Zeitgeist

Yeah, your project is a bit more ambitious than mine, but you're working with essentially the same van as me and I haven't seen too many late model EV Syncro swaps before. I'm primarily interested in seeing where all the peripherals sit in relation to the other engine compartment pieces. I'm under the impression that the AC compressor sits really low when raked forward 15 degrees. Additionally, I would like to see how you mounted the passenger side engine mount to the late model block
'01 Eurovan Weekender AXK --> (ALH Syncro?)
Past: '96 Passat 1Z
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 07:57   #24

TDI(s): None. 01 EV

I've been watching this for a while. I find it interesting that you've gone this route. We've put in a fresh-ish AXK motor in our EV last year, so was hoping to keep that but hopefully use a transmission setup similar to yours.

Out of curiosity, why use the Passat ESP module instead of the Bosch 5.3 original or an MK60 standalone?

Last edited by 450; August 4th, 2017 at 08:01. Reason: oops.
450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2017, 23:27   #25
iwannajettatdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannajettatdi View Post
If I didn't care as much about the gear ratios, I could have been done by now. The T4 syncro gearboxes (02d and 02g(VR6)) bolt right in and things just work. One of the parts guys in Europe is working on an adapter to put a TDI to a VR6 02g transmission, haven't heard anything else about it yet. Since I knew I wanted a higher horsepower TDI and I wanted better/different gear ratios I'm being ridiculous and fitting a T5 4motion gearbox with the plan of fitting the T5 rear/4motion/Haldex controller with a standalone controller. Should be fun when it's ready, getting it there though... A process. I still have the pics, anything in particular you're interested in?
STill haven't heard much from Frans from Dutch Auto parts about the 02g conversion adapter plate, I'm sure they're quite busy during the summer. I decided to change the angle of the transfer case and raise the axle outputs which put the transfer case over the steering rack instead of under. Ideally I would need to move the steering rack as the output needs to go straight through it to sit right. I looked at most of the VW racks online and can't find a suitable replacement for a flatter/lower profile rack. Then I got to thinking about the steering geometry and realizing that I probably don't want to start messing around with that if we're wanting to drive this thing on the road at high speeds (65-70mph at least...).

Then I sat. And stared at the motor and the gearbox. I clearanced the side of the transfer case just a little so it sits better next to the steering box, it's still super tight though. So I sat and stared and kicked the tires some more.

That's basically what I've done over the past 2-3 months. It was OK, but I wasn't happy with the positioning. Then there is the fact that the only local machine shop that would work with me to make the gearbox hub adapters has been busy and dragging their feet and still hasn't made the hub adapters after almost three months after I was told two weeks. Sigh. Enter lots of frustration and not wanting to work on the van.

I was mildly frustrated one day and cruising eBay and I found something that I had been looking at for a few months. There was a 5 speed T4/Eurovan syncro transmission with diesel gearing just a few miles up the road in Portland. I was able to wiggle a little on the asking price and the seller actually was able to deliver it to the house for me which saved me three hours.

SO now we have a brand new/crate/reman'd 02d with the CRX gear ratios, super low gearing which will be great for around town and on the fire roads, I'm going to swap in a 5th gear around .688 or .652 (Maybe even a .622 as seen here on a 2.5L TDI T4) to drop the highway revs, I think it will still work well in the 4th-5th drop based on the gearing spreadsheet I made up and with the tires I have. There are pluses and minuses to this:
Good - gearbox mount and pendulum mount are stock and bolt up instead of needing fab work. Granted, not extremely difficult, but I don't have all the fab stuff at my disposal and it's a pain in the butt to have to wait on someone else to do it for you.
-speedometer plugs up/works like stock instead of needing to fab a sensor mount and figure out how to get the proper ppm to it.
-axles - probably the best and biggest relief of going to this gearbox. The stock manual axles (108mm vs. the auto's 112mm CV joints) fit. The idea of not having to have custom axles made and rolling around with one off custom stuff that's difficult to replicate is actually quite reassuring and makes me feel much better about travelling, especially down to Mexico. Equal length front CVs also makes keeping a spare around mucho easier.
-shift linkage - I have the full shift linkage, shift box, cables, cable ends, and shifter for the T5 gearbox. It mounts up on the dash in a T5 so I was going to have to either fab something up to fit it there or hack the mechanism up and mount it to the floor. Either way it was a bunch of foot dragging and hesitancy to do either of those which added to the frustration and slowing me down. Being able to use a T4 shift box also means I can get serviceable parts much easier and I found one for $50 on eBay uk that is on its way here supposedly.
-exhaust - again, making a custom downpipe isn't the end of the world, it's just more fabbing and being unable to do that myself I have been dreading this part. I was able to find a downpipe for a 2.5L TDI that likely has a different turbo exhaust flange (I have the correct one for a BHW) but bolts up to the van on the downstream side by the cat. $60 plus shipping which wasn't too much. No even a question. Having a new flange welded on by an exhaust shop is a cake walk instead of needing a flex pipe and whole new tubing bent, custom made. Again, loads of stress off of the design phase.
-the rear end syncro bits will now also bolt up and not need intricate design and work.
-my wife is definitely happier with this plan and just wants to go drive the van already .

Cons - the biggest is the gearing. The T5 diesel gearing would have been like driving an 02m Golf mk4 or one of the newer TDIs.
- torque - the 0a5 gearbox is rated up to 500NM, the 02d I'm using is in the 250NM class. So plans for pumping up the power and a close to 200hp Eurovan TDI are now quite handily placed to the side. Stock power ~250ft-lbs (330NM) so technically over already . But the guys in europe having been pumping up power to the TDs and swapping the ABL TDIs without much ado or exploding gearboxes, so I think I'll be ok. I'm guessing/assuming the VW engineers built at least a little bit of fudge factor into those numbers. We shall see... I know the USRT guys sell a strengthening bracket for the pinion shaft of an 02a/j to help it in higher torque applications and seem to have good results with it, so that may be an option for us too and help me breathe easier. Since the 02b/d is based on the 02a it should fit and will likely help out for possible higher torque times, especially off road.

So more pros as far as bolting up. The gearing swap and pinion shaft brace is something that is easy to do and I think the ease of bolting up and not having to make custom axles is worth it. We shall see.

If anyone wants a 2011 T5 4motion 0a5 gearbox with the correct clutch disc from Darkside Developments and all the shift linkage, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
Yeah, your project is a bit more ambitious than mine, but you're working with essentially the same van as me and I haven't seen too many late model EV Syncro swaps before. I'm primarily interested in seeing where all the peripherals sit in relation to the other engine compartment pieces. I'm under the impression that the AC compressor sits really low when raked forward 15 degrees. Additionally, I would like to see how you mounted the passenger side engine mount to the late model block
The AC won't be bad since it's in the middle, the thing I'm worried about it the power steering pump. The 1.8T swap guys in the UK forums have either cut a hole in the lower engine cover and welded on a hood for the pump wheel, or they've used an electrohydraulic pump from a Toyota MR2 or a Mini Cooper. I think that I'll end up doing it this way to help the clearance. Other options/opinions are welcome .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450 View Post
I've been watching this for a while. I find it interesting that you've gone this route. We've put in a fresh-ish AXK motor in our EV last year, so was hoping to keep that but hopefully use a transmission setup similar to yours.

Out of curiosity, why use the Passat ESP module instead of the Bosch 5.3 original or an MK60 standalone?
Ideally you will want a 5 speed 02g for the vr6 from Europe. You could use an 02m but then run into the shifter and axle issues above and wouldn't be able to use the output from the transfer box to the rear.

The eurovan ABS controller is actually NOT on the pump, it's in the car. Since I'm swapping most of the engine controls and wiring from the Passat, i kept the ABS pump wiring and plug as well. I *think* I'll be able to splice into the vehicle speed sensor wire and can system of the van to be able to let the BHW ECU and the ABS ECU work together like they should. From my research I remember the Passat ABS unit I have also has ASR and EDL, the eurovan one I have didn't. But I could be wrong about that. I was thinking like and like controls would be easier to work vs. swapping ABS units since I know some of them can't be recoded and some ECUs won't accept a swap in vagcom coding.
Old September 1st, 2017, 10:59   #26
vanbcguy
Veteran Member

If the ABS system is like the one on my B3, with the controller external to the system and the hydraulic accumulator "bomb" on the master cylinder then I don't believe it has any connection to the vehicle speed sensor. It already has all the information it needs from the wheel speed sensors. That style of ABS is completely standalone.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Old September 4th, 2017, 14:57   #27
iwannajettatdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbcguy View Post
If the ABS system is like the one on my B3, with the controller external to the system and the hydraulic accumulator "bomb" on the master cylinder then I don't believe it has any connection to the vehicle speed sensor. It already has all the information it needs from the wheel speed sensors. That style of ABS is completely standalone.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Vanbcguy, hmm, the wiring documents I was looking at seemed to show the abs controller inside the van having the VSS signal. Not only that but I'm not sure I can get the different controller to talk to the bhw ECU. From what I've read on mk4 and pump and asr-->esp swap a lot of folks have had issues if they didn't use a certain abs pump/ecu. That was part of the reason of switching to the Passat abs pump and controller, plus that was less pruning of the tdi wiring harness. I'm finishing plumbing the Passat abs pump today so I'll let you know the outcome. I'm waiting on my clutch to get here (hopefully) this week so it can be bolted in and get the engine hung on the motor mounts. Should have the oil pan back this week or early next, which should be the last engine mechanical bits. I still need to figure out the intercooler piping and the coolant line flow, especially with the rear heater in the van. It's getting close though. I'm hoping to have it started/running by the end of the month.
Old September 5th, 2017, 13:35   #28

TDI(s): None. 01 EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannajettatdi View Post
From my research I remember the Passat ABS unit I have also has ASR and EDL, the eurovan one I have didn't. But I could be wrong about that.
IIRC all of the 01-03 non-camper vans came with ESP and stability control by nature includes traction control (ASR). Did your van have an ESP button near the hazard button?

And yeah you're right the 02G would be the most painless option, just kind of a bummer that it would mean the van would stay FWD and I wouldn't be able to get a Syncro or 4Motion setup.
450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 05:54   #29
iwannajettatdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450 View Post
IIRC all of the 01-03 non-camper vans came with ESP and stability control by nature includes traction control (ASR). Did your van have an ESP button near the hazard button?

And yeah you're right the 02G would be the most painless option, just kind of a bummer that it would mean the van would stay FWD and I wouldn't be able to get a Syncro or 4Motion setup.
It has/had ESP and asr by default, but not EDL based on the info I could find. The Passat ABS unit has all three it seems. The biggest thing was getting the Eurovan abs pump to talk to the Passat ecu, no clue if that's possible honestly. From the mk4 abs pump swaps it appears only a small number of pumps can be coded to an ecu, no one really has a list or why it works that way. Just the way they were designed and programmed.

The 02g would be nice, but the 4cylinders won't bolt up to one. So you would need to import a 2.5L tdi. They offered syncro in the 02g though. I just didn't want a motor I couldn't easily get parts or service for. What I'm building is basically a stock van but with the BHW diesel instead of the ABL that was offered. Next gen TDI with otherwise stock van parts.

Some odds and ends parts and the starter delivered today. Exhaust was shipped. I'm hoping most of the big parts are in by next week so I can put them all on. The missus is going to be out of town for a few days which leaves me full reign in the garage. Minus a half a day for some mountain biking. The only things I'll still need to fab up are the oil pan and pickup which is at the welders currently, the passenger side mount, and the transfer case mount to the block on the passenger side. I think the rest is basically bolt/cobble together with parts I have.

Still need a coolant flow diagram of anyone has one for a 2002 EVW westfalia.
Old September 6th, 2017, 05:57   #30
iwannajettatdi
Veteran Member

Oh and I suppose I'll need to get the correct turbo exhaust flange welded into the downpipe when it shows up.