www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old November 2nd, 2016, 18:06   #61
dogdots

TDI(s): 04 B5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Brian, what all do you have? The more I think about this, the more I think the manual conversion route is the way to go. I wanted to keep it an automatic because I wanted to keep the cost down and work with what I have, and since the current slushbox is in perfect working order and has been well maintained, I thought it best to just stay the course with it.
But if it is just going to be too much of a headache to make the gas trans work with the diesel.... and I am certainly not about to try and source a Euro diesel auto trans I may as well just go manual.
Tall gearing is not a priority, as this vehicle is not likely to be going on many long distance Interstate trips anyways.
Funny you responded today about those parts since I am in Maryland Heights right now

I have the trans, rear diff with suspension, axles, and drive shaft. I don't have the shifter or pedals or fuel tank. I was thinking you could drop in this trans and rear diff with your current axles and drive shaft, but you would still need the 3rd pedal, master and slave, and clutch. Looking at previous posts perhaps it wouldn't work in your wagon.

If you want to try it, come pick the parts up any time from Richard's shop. I have a great spare geared BHW I haven't decided what to do with, been looking for a 4mo wagon myself to drop it in but I have too many cars at present

I pulled the parts from Mike's A4 (kctdi) last year, paid him a few hundred bux. If you want the manual A4 parts just come grab them, I owe you at least that for your kindness over the years
04 Passat BHW BSM delete 5 speed manual - Non VW: 2011 BMW 335D and 2011 BMW X5 35D, both white, 1999 Superduty 7.3 ZF 6 speed, 2007 BMW 328xi, 2003 Mini Cooper, 1977 MB 280SL, 1977 Chevy C10 454 bought new by wife's grandfather.
www.kansascitytdi.com
dogdots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2016, 04:29   #62
KCTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel tank is still here for that Audi if either of ya'll want it.
2003 CTD 6spd Q/C
Proud to be called Grandpa x 7
KCTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 03:51   #63
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Well I admit I have had so much going lately I have not devoted much more time into researching my transmission solution for this project, but this morning the car seemed to make the decision to pursue a manual conversion much more agreeable:

Argh...

I have been driving this car a lot lately since my Golf is getting some much needed TLC and I sold my gasser Beetle and my other gasser Passat. Hopefully it will hold out a little longer (intermittent problem now) until I can get this injection pump back on the Golf. Just arrived yesterday from DFIS.
Old September 8th, 2017, 06:05   #64
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I am entertaining parting ways with this project, as I am just to far extended with so many other projects, and the 1.8t has decided to ask for more attention. It is a poop or get off the pot moment, and I am pretty constipated.

I would sell the car as is, with all the BHW related bits (I actually still have the whole wrecked car) for $2000. Car runs and drives, it has newer Bilstein HDs all around on rough road package springs, a brand new set of Michelin Premier tires. The engine that is in it runs, but has an oil and coolant leak, an exhaust leak (flex section of down pipe), some intake/breather/vacuum leak (have not bothered to look into this). Runs good and strong down the road. Has an ABS DTC for the LR speed sensor, but it is not the sensor. I suspect the ABS module has a bad spot in it. Battery not that old, brakes, steering, etc. all fine.

It really needs a manual trans/rear end conversion along with the BHW, and it would be a pretty neat car.