www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old July 14th, 2016, 03:58   #31
Jeta Life
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42 mpg

Some great deals on VWs that's for sure. Nice haggle tactic, either give me a good OTD cash price or I walk out the door.

Well to me the Passat is still a standout in the midsize segment. Although I'll probably accept the buyback it's amazing how attached I've gotten to my TDI, even with all its faults. The Mark 5 and TDI combo give that premium feel.

New TSIs will be tough to pass up if VW dealers will be giving them away. How can anyone turn down a great buyback offer and not swap up to a NEW car for $4-5k. Great thread.

I'm staying tuned to VWs drama, once the buyback takes effect those VW dealers are the last link to Wolfsburg.
Jeta Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 04:55   #32
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Good customer of mine sadly was rear ended hard in his 1/4 million mile 2004 Jetta wagon... he was OK, but the car was unrepairable.

He went to the Volkswagen dealer, intent on buying a new TDI wagon which of course he couldn't. They did not even have any gas wagons there, as those are still good sellers they said. But they did have an unsold 2015 GTI there, and while he did not want the automatic once he drove the car he really liked the whole package enough he went for it... and he got a really good deal he said.

I just serviced the car recently, as its PM reminder came on due to time, not mileage. It had 1200 miles on it.

So yes, I think you can make some good deals on what they have.
Old July 14th, 2016, 05:40   #33
Jeta Life
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42 mpg

My 2001 B5 Passat 1.8T met a similar fate and what I've always liked about VWs is they are sure footed and handle accidents very well, after all they are engineered where there are no speed limits.

Having two small children now aged 10 & 12 I'm actually confident driving my family of 4 in my Jetta. Sure not as smooth as the wife's 2012 S60 2.5 T5 FWD, but her's only gets about 30 mpgs on the highway, stinks in the city.

I looked at SUVs, test drove Camrys, Accords and even scoped out some Optimas, but in the end I'll probably trade up to a Passat coming off a 2 or 3 year lease. Main reason being the buyback.

I like GTI too but being that I occasionally haul leaf bags to my town's dump and have "heavyweight" in laws (and most of my cousins) I know they'll love the roomy backseat of Passat.
Jeta Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 05:53   #34
NoFuiYo

TDI(s): None :'(
Fuel Economy: It was good while it lasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGuy100 View Post
It does have cloth seating. It has all standard options of the S plus backup camera, heated seats, push button start, and 16" Sedona wheels (off the top of my head). NO sunroof, I wont own any sort of car with one. For a cheap commuter it has some nice options, but it certainly isn't high end by any means (I'm not complaining though).
Only picture I have.
Very nice Jetta... nothing on the market comes close to that vehicle at the price you got for

Last edited by NoFuiYo; July 14th, 2016 at 05:55.
NoFuiYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 10:27   #35
FordGuy100
Veteran Member

I wanted a GTI very badly. They even located one spec'ed out how I wanted. I just couldn't justify the extra 5-6k in price at this point. You do get a lot for that money though.
Old July 14th, 2016, 16:15   #36
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

I haven't seen any manuals here w/ heated seats-I did see a Cardinal Red w/ the wheels like you have,they really look sharp w/ the red. I may go visit dealers either tomorrow or Saturday.
Old July 16th, 2016, 15:09   #37
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

The SE's come w/heated seats,but also a push button start.The dealer I visited had a bunch of Silk Blue manuals-a couple SE's,a Technology package one,and a bare bones one.I test drove the SE-the salesman started it up-seemed like starter kept going. I was impressed on how quick it felt. We switched places about 1/2 mile after test drive started. I thought the rear-view camera was neat. 70mph on interstate was reached quickly,and was smooth and solid-didn't even feel that fast. It was about a 5 mile test drive. I'm sold on it-got my info,pulled my credit,valued my trade.He'll call my bank on Mon. morning for exact payoff,then call the lender(VW) about financing. I also opted for an extended warranty(through Allstate) for 5yr/125k miles(drive about 25k/year).I will get word on Monday......I opted for the bare bones MANUAL one.

Last edited by tdidieselbobny; July 16th, 2016 at 16:01.
tdidieselbobny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2016, 15:31   #38
FordGuy100
Veteran Member

Cool deal man! Manual?
Old July 16th, 2016, 15:50   #39
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGuy100 View Post
Cool deal man! Manual?
Of course. I effing hate the Matrix w/ the automatic. Fingers crossed that the bank will play nice w/ interest rates and approval.......I was tempted to test a regular Ford Focus 5 spd,but the colors sucked and were even rarer at dealers than the Jettas. I was tempted though,as my sister has an '09 Focus she bought new and it recently turned over 210k miles and has been dead-nuts reliable. The deal I signed was $1k rebate off the top instead of card,$500 dealer cash and $500 conquest for the Toyota.Trade came in approx $1k below what I owe on it.I can always find alloy wheels on craigslist.....if I do get this car,I can finally purge my garage of all the A3/B4 items I've accumulated over 10 yrs.....
Old July 16th, 2016, 15:58   #40
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

I also noticed while sitting in it,it seemed pretty damn close in size to what my B4 felt like in size. I was searching Vortex for any info on the 1.4,and not many threads(yet). Salesman said 10k oil change intervals,along w/ 5w-40 synthetic oil. Do you know if that's right? The oil cap was only marked "Castrol",I didn't see any grade specs on it. I also noticed a Golf in the showroom,and the automatic tranny was STANDARD in it-uuggggghhhh......
Old July 16th, 2016, 16:13   #41
FordGuy100
Veteran Member

VW recomends a specific type of Castrol oil. Its in the owners manual. I'm not sure the VW oil spec or oil weights. It does feel as spacious as a B4 to me as well, which really shows how big cars have gotten. I would have gotten a Passat if they had a manual, but the Jetta isn't that much smaller. I'm 6'6" and fit in it about as well as I do most cars.
Old July 18th, 2016, 06:35   #42
oilhammer

It requires a 502.00 spec 5w40 oil. Castrol Edge meets that requirement, as do many other oils. Most any oil that meets the 502.00 spec will also meet the 505.00 spec, which is what the pre-PD TDIs use. And most every 505.01 spec 5w40 will also meet the 502.00 spec.

Castrol probably paid for something and that is why they get free advertising. Some other manufacturers do this as well.

I run Castrol in my cars, but you should be able to use any 502.00 5w40 oil you like. Pentosin, Motul, etc.

Keep in mind, this is an assumption on my part, as I have not yet looked under the hood of one of these 1.4L cars or looked in its owner's book. Most all newer VAG products have a sticker under the hood for oil spec, though.
Old July 19th, 2016, 07:58   #43
tango_28
Veteran Member

Thinking about picking one these cars with a 5 speed. The only thing that bothers me about the Tsi engine is there is a lot soot in the tail pipe.
Old July 19th, 2016, 08:17   #44
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango_28 View Post
Thinking about picking one these cars with a 5 speed. The only thing that bothers me about the Tsi engine is there is a lot soot in the tail pipe.

Yep, that is a common thing on all direct injected gas engines. The GM 3.6L V6 CUVs' tailpipes are sootier than my PD TDI.

Don't worry, particle filters are coming for gassers soon enough, and then after that the EPA will have one more way to force everyone into EVs like it or not.
Old July 19th, 2016, 10:00   #45
tango_28
Veteran Member

Our 2014 Ford Flex with 3.5 DI engine does not have soot in the tail pipe and has 28,000 miles on it. My fathe in-law's Audi Q5 has more soot than my 2003 JSW with fat injectors ever did.

Last edited by tango_28; July 19th, 2016 at 10:06. Reason: edit
tango_28 is offline   Reply With Quote