www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General VW Discussion

General VW Discussion This is a place for General VW topics (the company, not your vehicle). General topics about a specific vehicle should be posted in the General TDI Dicussion Forum sections for that vehicle platform. A4, A3 & B4, B5, etc.

Old December 18th, 2016, 10:58   #181
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

These can only slide in 1 way from what I've tried,Peter. Good news-I did find some aftermarket blades that are pretty close,but do have a little side to side inside the arm holder,but are locked in place.They are the Rain-X Expert fit ones,Wal Mart has them for $9.94 each. They have a -1 or a -2 after the length,I went with a 21-2 and a 17-2,there was no 18-2,just an 18-1.The only modification I needed was a little pc. of plastic that prevented it from sliding in holder-easily remedied w/ a razor knife... They do clear plenty for my liking,just not happy w/passenger side arm. I'm thinking of doing an experiment w/that one-the wiper is way too high on that arm-if I can remove the blade holder and cut 3" off the arm and re-install the holder,the 19 inch or maybe a little longer would clear more of the bottom part of windshield off.

Last edited by tdidieselbobny; December 18th, 2016 at 11:02.
tdidieselbobny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 16:22   #182
FordGuy100
Veteran Member

We had our first big snow/ice storm, and I got to drive the Jetta through it. The last few days have been solid packed snow/ice on the road (about an inch thick), and its done amazingly well. Traction control really kills the power, but it does help you to accelerate at the maximum possible rate, instead of just a bunch of wheelspin. The stock tires did fine, IMO. Taking off from stop signs did involve a lot of wheelspin, but again TCS helped there. Fuel mileage really took a dump, but I was driving slower than normal, and letting the car heat up to clear the windshield. Car never got squirrely on me, even when driving in some decent sized ruts. I felt much more comfortable driving it then my truck, but we all know trucks suck in the ice with no weight in the bed.

Sitting at 15K
Old December 21st, 2016, 18:18   #183
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Stupid me-the 21" clears plenty along w/ 17"-there only is a couple inch uncleared section on bottom of windshield-if I went back to the 24" it probably would be totally clear.I'll save the 24" blade I bought for summer weather. I'm averaging around 36mpg last few tanks in the cold w/ snow tires.
Old December 24th, 2016, 17:35   #184
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

I've been searching for some 15" alloys to use for summer tires,as I would swap the ones on steel rims over. However,after months of searching,I was about to get some 16" Velox rims (gunmetal color)from PepBoys,as they were on sale buy 3 get 1 free,was still going to be around $400,then I'd have to get new tires at around another $500. Then I had been watching some rims on ebay-I ended up buying. It was a set of 4 VW 15" Lyon rims w/ Bridgestone Ecopias on them(same as mine) that were takeoffs w/ only 200 miles on them-$499 w/ free shipping! Now that aside, last few days when I let off clutch in reverse it's making an odd noise. Not sure how to describe noise-seems to happen more I think when tranny is cold.I'll have to do some backing up in a big empty lot to see if I can see if it'll do noise consistently or not before contacting dealer-you know how Murphy's Law is.......
Old December 30th, 2016, 21:20   #185
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

My tires and rims arrived via Fed Ex Saturday! One rim has some minor scratches,but all they need is a bath and they'll be ready for spring. They even came w/ new centercaps and lug bolts. As far as that noise goes,it really hasn't happened more,but maybe the noise I hear is when I put on the brakes in reverse-probably the rotors.
Old January 14th, 2017, 17:21   #186
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

I went to get my winter tires rotated at dealer today(they have free luncheons on Saturdays). My service advisor came out to lounge to let me know it was done,then told me it was no charge,which surprised me,as I was expecting to pay for the rotation. While I was waiting,walked through showroom-black Alltrack on the floor,but it had sold sign in it. I only saw 1 red TDI out in front today w/not for sale tag hanging in window. I now have over 15k on it now.I'm looking for some leather seats for it,not fond of the cloth.I should've bought the full set I made an offer on last week,if it comes up again I will.My Fuelly avg finally went below 40mpg after last fillup.
Old March 10th, 2017, 17:51   #187
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Going in for the 20k service,and will check to see if body shop can give me an estimate also,thanks to Delta Sonic.I decided to go through the Delta Sonic on Wed.(car wash). Get to end of conveyor and their "automatic" door was stuck 1/2 way up.SUV in front of me drove through,conveyor stopped,attendant told me to wait,then disappeared. I did,until the conveyor started to move again.If I didn't move,car behind me would've hit me if I didn't go.The vinyl door w/ the padded bottom kindly went over my hood,windshield,roof,rear window and trunk. I decided to take a look. Scratches in clearcoat on hood,roof,and trunk lid,and a couple marks on windshield that haven't come off(might be scratched also)-another guy in a dk. brown Cruze had same damage,we both filled out claim forms and I'm still waiting to get a call-manager said 3-5 business days. There were other ones that didn't stop and check their vehicles
Old March 11th, 2017, 13:25   #188
FordGuy100
Veteran Member

Yeah mine suffered a minor ding this winter. Backed over a mound of frozen gravel, hidden under snow thanks to our garbage truck driver. Bent the drivers side rear mudflap enough to break some mounts for the rear bumper.

I think we have 18,500 on it now. I stopped DD it when I got my 04 back on the road, about 5K ago. Average FE over that course for me was 39.9 MPG's. High of 46.4 (all highway cruise at 75 mph full AC), low of 26.9 (ALL city full AC).

My family is getting larger now, so this one is going to be sold off in the next month or so. It was a good car and I would buy another again for a cheap commuter.
Old March 26th, 2017, 18:14   #189
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Well,the "detail job" at Delta Sonic didn't do jack sh*t for the marks and scratches in the hood,windshield,roof,and trunk lid. Estimate from dealer was just over $2k. Now I need to see what the next move is.....
Old March 27th, 2017, 14:37   #190
oEo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid 40's

Oh man how I wish that was true! The 1.4 pulls really nice and would be so nice in a Golf...
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Awesome! While I will certainly miss the "2-point-slow" that the 1.4L replaced due to its ruggedness and simplicity, it could never match the performance and fuel economy of the new 1.4L. I wish they'd offer that engine in a stripper Golf.
Hope to see how it holds up over time, thanks for posting. What kind of RPM does it turn at what speeds on the highway?

2 0 0 4 I n d i g o B l u e G o l f R C 1 T D I C L U B A D D I C T I O N @ 1 4 9 k R u n n i n g W i t h T 6 U O A
oEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 15:14   #191
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oEo View Post
Oh man how I wish that was true! The 1.4 pulls really nice and would be so nice in a Golf...
Agree! I drove the 122 hp version in a Mk VI Golf a fair bit in the UK 5 years ago and it was a blast. The 150 hp version must be even better. The 122 hp had 148 lb-ft of torque whereas the 150 has 185 lb-ft.

I have the 1.8 TSI in my '16 Golf but if the 1.4 had been available with a reasonable level of kit (i.e. the same car as I have now), I would have selected it in a heartbeat. I already get pretty good fuel consumption in my 1.8, the 1.4 is even better. It would have gone farther to mitigate the loss of my TDI.

My Golf is a base model but has just about everything I could possibly want: air, cruise, Apple CarPlay (which is better than the in-dash GPS on my prior Mk VI), back-up camera, and all the usual standard VW bells and whistles.
'16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 18:21   #192
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Hudson Valley VW has 2 manual '16 Jettas left in stock- a cardinal red S for $16,100 after discount or a white SE for $16,500. I called the car wash place today to see if any progress on claim. They told me their 2 preferred shops,or I could have a $1500 gift card from them. If I didn't have a loan on car I'd take the gift card,but I told them I need it fixed properly. Now time to get an estimate from their preferred shop and one near me that has loaner cars when yours gets fixed.....
Old May 2nd, 2017, 15:39   #193
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Dropped the car off Mon. morning for the paint fix(finally). I got a call this morning saying it was done.They weren't able to remove the small scratch from windshield,so they let Delta Sonic know the windshield needs to be replaced. I'm wondering if I should just leave the windshield as it is and see if they'd give me a gift card instead of replacing windshield. I just hate to replace the windshield then end up w/ more problems down the road due to a bad install that isn't noticeable at first(leaks,rust,etc....).
Old May 15th, 2017, 18:42   #194
ACHTUNG TDI
Veteran Member

Reached 10,000 miles today on the 2016 Jetta 1.8t Sport after 6.5 months of ownership and performed first oil change. I've average 34.6 mpg over that distance. However my best tank mpg hasn't quite equaled my worst tank mpg on my 2001 Jetta TDI. I enjoy driving this car - far more refined and quieter than the '01. So far I replaced the door speakers with Soumatrix Xtase and I swapped the side view mirrors with those from a 2014 Jetta SE. Now I have turn signals in the mirrors. I also added LED interior and trunk lights. Boy are they bright. I'd like to replace the A pillar tweeters and upgrade the rear view mirror to a self dimming one with home link. I'd also like to add a rear fog but that appears expensive. Tuning this car would really bring the engine to life but I don't want the mpg hit or face upgrading the clutch. Overall I'm pleased with this model Jetta.
ACHTUNG TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 19:15   #195
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Well,I traded it in on 5/16/17 toward a "new" 2015 Silk Blue GSW TDI. I was extremely happy with the 1.4, but missed having a TDI. No issues whatsoever on VW's end with car.I still need to plug my last couple tanks into Fuelly to see what my overall mpg was over the 10 months I had it. I put just over 25k on it.