www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old June 23rd, 2016, 07:00   #1
Ed ke6bnl
Veteran Member

Default My car locked the doors on its own.

we are use to leaving the keys in the car. we live away from other homes and put the keys in the arm rest. One morning my wife found the car locked and had to get AAA to open the car. the unlock button did not work for him and he had to pull the door handle from the inside. The door locked up again while my wife was getting ready to insert the key to start the engine. We now bring the key into the house. still do not lock the doors. Any Ideas. I will be getting a duplicate key with remote and mobilizer. thanks ED
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,2002 Vw Jetta
Ed ke6bnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2016, 07:16   #2
UhOh
Veteran Member

Search for "door lock control module" (how to repair or replace- your choice0
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2016, 07:18   #3
JETaah

Fuel Economy: 53 max, 42 min, average 46

It is caused by a faulty driver's door switch and the re-lock sequence that VW most brilliantly designed.

In a fully functioning system, if the car is locked, and you unlock it but do not open the door, the car thinks that you changed your mind and will re-lock the car after 30 seconds. It will use the door switch to determine that. And, since the door switch is broken, the car does not realize that the door was opened.

A good way to test this is to see if the overhead dome light turns on when you open the door....providing that the dome light switch is in the position to do that.

A way to cancel the re-lock sequence is to:
-- unlock the door, open it
-- put the key in the ignition and flip it to the ON position for a second.
That confirms that someone actually entered the car when it does not recognize that the door was opened. It will keep the car from re-locking until the car is locked from the outside again.

Last edited by JETaah; June 23rd, 2016 at 07:23.
JETaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2016, 07:27   #4
Ed ke6bnl
Veteran Member

The door switch may defective since when we get out of the car the dome light does not come on with the drivers door like it does with the passenger door. I will look at this today. thanks for all the advice.

after writing this I discovered that I would be spending days just reading what is a common problem and literally hundreds of pages on the subject. at this point I may look at it and check for wires at hinge and maybe contact cleaner and maybe see about a part from a parted out Jetta or the Radio Shack fix. will see the route I will go.

Last edited by Ed ke6bnl; June 23rd, 2016 at 08:07.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 07:33   #5
steve6
Veteran Member

search for 'stupid $3 door switch fix' thread.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2016, 07:59   #6
sisyphus
Veteran Member

Our wagon did this once while my wife and kids were at the lake swimming and the key was INSIDE the car. Fortunately she was able to send the older kid into the car through the open sunroof.
sisyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2016, 09:10   #7
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve6 View Post
search for 'stupid $3 door switch fix' thread.
2X... that one thread is the fastest way to get the info you need and figure out your options.

All three of my Jettas have malfunctioning driver door sensors, and the autolock snagged my keys once before I figured out what was happening. This past weekend I spent an afternoon tearing apart one of the doors and retrofitting the replacement Burgess switch as discussed in the thread. Got to have a Dremel with a very fine bit and some 2-56 hardware.

Now something that most other car owners take for granted...dome lights when you open the door...happens for me too. Luxury!!!

Note: The above is to the best of my knowledge- but at the end of the day simply interweb opinion, worth EXACTLY what you paid for it, and if used done so at your own risk.

Last edited by Vince Waldon; June 23rd, 2016 at 09:15.
Vince Waldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2016, 09:21   #8
dweisel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 09 MB R320 Bluetec and too many ALH Beetles!

Try removing the battery from the FOB. You'll have to manually lock and unlock any doors,but this may help with the doors locking themselves.

dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
dweisel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2016, 14:11   #9
hillelectric

Same thing happened to me twice, both times with a toddler in the car. First time took a lock smith, second time I had a valet key zip tied up underneath car. I did the "stupid $3 door switch fix" on drivers door and then later on passenger doors as they failed. Worked good and fixed problem but rather time consuming and takes some fine detail work on small parts. My drivers door has failed again after two years. Thinking of rigging a spring loaded push button switch on the drivers door and wiring into circuit so I don't have to deal with it anymore.
hillelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2016, 14:53   #10
BobnOH
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Yes, these guys are all over it.
In the meantime, always click unlock twice before locking and to leave it unlocked, open one of the doors that does work. What happens is, the door doesn't know it's been opened (or closed) and responds accordingly.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 06:31   #11
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

It is probably broken solder joints on the circuit board where the pins from the plug attach. If you decide to replace the latch assembly, please let me know (just PM me). I'll buy your old one.

Cheers,

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 14:01   #12
Ed ke6bnl
Veteran Member

I assume the left and rt. door lock assembly are different BUT can the switch from the rt. side be used on the left, I have access to a rt side door. and the other 2 rear doors. thanks
Old June 24th, 2016, 14:15   #13
BobnOH
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Maybe you can tell, don't know which piece is the actual sensor

Front Door Lock Module Driver Side (A4)(B5.5)

Front Door Lock Module Passenger Side (A4)(B5.5)
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 16:54   #14
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Although I've not pulled a passenger module apart it's definitively possible that the microswitch is NOT transferable... it's not a symmetrical part top to bottom or side to side IIRC.

The same replacement Burgess switch will fit either side, because it doesn't have the plastic rivets built into the case (hence the need to modify the existing holes somewhat) and so can be flipped over.

The other thing I'd say is that unless you have access to a brand new module for parts there's a good chance the switch in a used module is already well worn towards broken... if not already broken. I have never seen defective solder joints unfortunately.. always wear on the switch's plastic nub.

Note: The above is to the best of my knowledge- but at the end of the day simply interweb opinion, worth EXACTLY what you paid for it, and if used done so at your own risk.
Vince Waldon is offline   Reply With Quote