www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You




Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 16th, 2015, 06:09   #46
nate0031
Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
 
nate0031's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SE Ohio
TDI(s): 96 B4 Passat
Default

Thank you guys! mtushmoo, I'll pull up my fuel tank pictures and respond in your thread. Sent you a PM Rafedial.
__________________
2005.5 VW Jetta - 1.9 Turbo Diesel - 5 Speed
2000 Audi A6 - CJAA Common Rail TDI - Quattro - 01E
2005 Ford F-350 - 6.0L Turbo Diesel - Auto - 4x4
nate0031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 18:01   #47
vw_nut
Veteran Member
Default

Your build gave me the inspiration to think about a common rail swap in the mk2, I've enjoyed your build nice work
__________________
My 1Z Rabbit Truck Conversion http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=281944(2013 Tdi Fest Radical Class Winner)
bv43a, pd150 intake, r520's, 11mm pump, BHW pistons, integrated rods, stg 5 Malone tune, port n polish head (whitebread), stg 2 cam, SB stg 2 clutch,
vw_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 08:15   #48
nate0031
Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
 
nate0031's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SE Ohio
TDI(s): 96 B4 Passat
Default

Been a busy few weeks, haven't had time to post much. Apparently there were two different accumulator styles for that car, and I got the wrong one. Just received the correct one, so we'll see if AC works this weekend.

I have just under 800 miles on it now and I have run it to about a half tank twice then filled. I was way to curious about mileage to let a full tank go through, lol. The first time, with my erratic test driving and about 70/30 highway/city, fetched 38 MPG. The second time with easier driving, no full throttle testing but on the same 70/30 commute to work, got 40.3. I'm pretty happy, and that's on snow tires too. The highway is cruising at (about, no cruise yet) 65 MPH at ~2500 RPM. I'm really hoping to get even more into the low 40's when I get new tires next month, something more touring oriented with a harder compound and 10mm narrower. We'll see though. Between that and a swap to a euro trans, I think it'll do pretty well for itself.
__________________
2005.5 VW Jetta - 1.9 Turbo Diesel - 5 Speed
2000 Audi A6 - CJAA Common Rail TDI - Quattro - 01E
2005 Ford F-350 - 6.0L Turbo Diesel - Auto - 4x4
nate0031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 13:17   #49
nate0031
Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
 
nate0031's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SE Ohio
TDI(s): 96 B4 Passat
Default

Nice weather last weekend, so we took the car for a nice drive. Snapped a couple pictures:



__________________
2005.5 VW Jetta - 1.9 Turbo Diesel - 5 Speed
2000 Audi A6 - CJAA Common Rail TDI - Quattro - 01E
2005 Ford F-350 - 6.0L Turbo Diesel - Auto - 4x4
nate0031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 07:30   #50
nate0031
Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
 
nate0031's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SE Ohio
TDI(s): 96 B4 Passat
Default

Got the AC working. Looked at the AC controller and the compressor shutdown code indicated that the ECU was not giving it permission to engage, likely because of the smorgasbord of errors.

There are three wires going from the ECU to the AC control head. The schematics aren't in front of me, so double check these. One, located on T10p if memory serves, is the tach signal. The other two, T17k/2 and T17k/3, are for the control head asking permission from the ECU to engage the compressor. It wouldn't do it without a tach signal, but with the tach, when the AC was commanded on by the controls in the cab, the control head would send 12 volts to the ECU on the black/yellow wire (T17k/2). Meanwhile, the black/gray wire (T17k/3) would stay at 0. I had a hunch that wire was supposed to go high (to ~12 volts) to let the control head know it was allowed to engage the compressor. I connected those wires directly to each other and sure enough, the compressor shutdown code changed and the compressor kicked on. So I disconnected them from the ECU and soldered them directly to each other. Now when the control head sends 12 volts to request to engage the compressor, it sees it's own signal and thinks the ECU is giving it the go ahead.

I charged it like normal and now it's nice and cold. Now to fix the cruise.
__________________
2005.5 VW Jetta - 1.9 Turbo Diesel - 5 Speed
2000 Audi A6 - CJAA Common Rail TDI - Quattro - 01E
2005 Ford F-350 - 6.0L Turbo Diesel - Auto - 4x4
nate0031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 09:49   #51
TDIsyncro
Veteran Member
 
TDIsyncro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Saskatoon, SK
TDI(s): Audi/TDI x 2
Fuel Economy: 50-60mpg HWY, depending on speed and wind
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate0031 View Post
Got the AC working. Looked at the AC controller and the compressor shutdown code indicated that the ECU was not giving it permission to engage, likely because of the smorgasbord of errors.

There are three wires going from the ECU to the AC control head. The schematics aren't in front of me, so double check these. One, located on T10p if memory serves, is the tach signal. The other two, T17k/2 and T17k/3, are for the control head asking permission from the ECU to engage the compressor. It wouldn't do it without a tach signal, but with the tach, when the AC was commanded on by the controls in the cab, the control head would send 12 volts to the ECU on the black/yellow wire (T17k/2). Meanwhile, the black/gray wire (T17k/3) would stay at 0. I had a hunch that wire was supposed to go high (to ~12 volts) to let the control head know it was allowed to engage the compressor. I connected those wires directly to each other and sure enough, the compressor shutdown code changed and the compressor kicked on. So I disconnected them from the ECU and soldered them directly to each other. Now when the control head sends 12 volts to request to engage the compressor, it sees it's own signal and thinks the ECU is giving it the go ahead.

I charged it like normal and now it's nice and cold. Now to fix the cruise.
nice diagnostics going on there. Its great to find simple solutions like that. The euro TDI 01E will make a very nice upgrade and go along way to your mpg goals.
__________________
2001 Audi A4 - New Project - 2.0TDI CR 450HP All Turbo
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=270527
2007 Canyon w/2011 TDI CJAA CR
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=415533

Last edited by TDIsyncro; June 8th, 2015 at 09:52.
TDIsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 09:59   #52
nate0031
Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
 
nate0031's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SE Ohio
TDI(s): 96 B4 Passat
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIsyncro View Post
nice diagnostics going on there. Its great to find simple solutions like that. The euro TDI 01E will make a very nice upgrade and go along way to your mpg goals.
Thanks! Yea, I can't wait to do the tranny swap. This one isn't bad, but I know it'll be way better with proper ratios.
__________________
2005.5 VW Jetta - 1.9 Turbo Diesel - 5 Speed
2000 Audi A6 - CJAA Common Rail TDI - Quattro - 01E
2005 Ford F-350 - 6.0L Turbo Diesel - Auto - 4x4
nate0031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2015, 11:24   #53
iwannajettatdi
Veteran Member
 
iwannajettatdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Holland, MA
Fuel Economy: 43/49/46
Default

Nate,

I have a few questions for you. PM'd you. Sweet swap! How are things rolling along now? Any more long term MPG reports?
__________________
2002 Eurovan TDI BHW 02d syncro project - The Adventure Bus
2011 MK6 Golf, 120k miles - Soon to be sold
Gone-2006 V10 Touareg TDI
DEAD-99.5 A4 Jetta, 349,919 miles RIPieces
iwannajettatdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2015, 14:43   #54
mr_y82
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Western NC
Default

One does not...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate0031 View Post
simply make a controller to intercept the TPS signal from the accelerator pedal, and use a PID controller to modify it for the cruise control.
...You guys never cease to amaze me, lol

Great swap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate0031 View Post
I got a pair of crimpers from Lowe's for $10, chopped the tip/wire cutter section off, then used the crimping section to bead the tube. One crimp at a time. All the way around. My hands are sore, lol.
I bet...
__________________
Malone Stage 2 Econo-Tune!;BuzzKen downpipe w/ cat!
2MicronTech Contain Flow and Pure flow Adapter FROSTHEATER
Appalachian Diesel Works, NC!(TRUSTED TDI MECHANICS)

Pre-tune: ~10k-70k mi = 40.5 mpgs; mpgs since tune_f_u_e_l_l_y_ ^
mr_y82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2015, 12:02   #55
nate0031
Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
 
nate0031's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SE Ohio
TDI(s): 96 B4 Passat
Default

Responded to your PM. Thanks everyone. Been great so far. Right now I'm getting 37-38 when mostly city/short trips. 41 on the highway going 70-75. Got 17 towing the 26ft camper at 60 weighing 4200lbs, 28 when towing the 17ft flat utility trailer, ~1500 lbs. And 32 pulling the jet ski, ~600 lbs.

I've put just over 10k on her so far. No issues yet. Looking to upgrade the clutch soon and hopefully get a euro TDI box in there.
__________________
2005.5 VW Jetta - 1.9 Turbo Diesel - 5 Speed
2000 Audi A6 - CJAA Common Rail TDI - Quattro - 01E
2005 Ford F-350 - 6.0L Turbo Diesel - Auto - 4x4
nate0031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 06:19   #56
mcneil
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pasadena, CA
Default

Great swap!
Did you ever get cruise working with the VSS over CAN? If so, what's the CAN ID for speed and how is it formatted?
__________________
2000 Jeep TJ TDI with a 4L65e Automatic
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=349116
slowly coming together
mcneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 06:46   #57
TDIsyncro
Veteran Member
 
TDIsyncro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Saskatoon, SK
TDI(s): Audi/TDI x 2
Fuel Economy: 50-60mpg HWY, depending on speed and wind
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate0031 View Post
Responded to your PM. Thanks everyone. Been great so far. Right now I'm getting 37-38 when mostly city/short trips. 41 on the highway going 70-75. Got 17 towing the 26ft camper at 60 weighing 4200lbs, 28 when towing the 17ft flat utility trailer, ~1500 lbs. And 32 pulling the jet ski, ~600 lbs.

I've put just over 10k on her so far. No issues yet. Looking to upgrade the clutch soon and hopefully get a euro TDI box in there.
Glad it is running great for you. The fuel mileage sure dips down when pulling. I was surprised to see it go down that much for flat trailer, but I guess a 17ft is pretty big. Nice job pulling the 26ft camper behind A6 TDI!
__________________
2001 Audi A4 - New Project - 2.0TDI CR 450HP All Turbo
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=270527
2007 Canyon w/2011 TDI CJAA CR
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=415533
TDIsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 06:47   #58
TDIsyncro
Veteran Member
 
TDIsyncro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Saskatoon, SK
TDI(s): Audi/TDI x 2
Fuel Economy: 50-60mpg HWY, depending on speed and wind
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcneil View Post
Great swap!
Did you ever get cruise working with the VSS over CAN? If so, what's the CAN ID for speed and how is it formatted?
What he says.

I was looking around for more CANBUS ID's. Only have a couple right now.
__________________
2001 Audi A4 - New Project - 2.0TDI CR 450HP All Turbo
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=270527
2007 Canyon w/2011 TDI CJAA CR
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=415533
TDIsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 06:52   #59
nate0031
Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
 
nate0031's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SE Ohio
TDI(s): 96 B4 Passat
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcneil View Post
Great swap!
Did you ever get cruise working with the VSS over CAN? If so, what's the CAN ID for speed and how is it formatted?
I haven't yet. Just got my replacement Raspberry Pi to keep working on it. I am rigging up a simple Arduino solution at the moment that'll use a PID controller to alter the accelerator signals to the ECU. That'll get me cruise in the meantime, I'm really missing it, lol. When I get a chance I'm going to log the CAN traffic on a friend's 2010 TDI and figure out the needed ID's and format. I'll need to figure out the ID's from the steering wheel module as well, as the cruise commands from the stalk are sent to the ECU via CAN.
__________________
2005.5 VW Jetta - 1.9 Turbo Diesel - 5 Speed
2000 Audi A6 - CJAA Common Rail TDI - Quattro - 01E
2005 Ford F-350 - 6.0L Turbo Diesel - Auto - 4x4
nate0031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 07:03   #60
nate0031
Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
 
nate0031's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SE Ohio
TDI(s): 96 B4 Passat
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIsyncro View Post
Glad it is running great for you. The fuel mileage sure dips down when pulling. I was surprised to see it go down that much for flat trailer, but I guess a 17ft is pretty big. Nice job pulling the 26ft camper behind A6 TDI!
Yea, it sure dips down with the camper, lol. Still about 65% better than with the excursion and 7.3. I feel like the Excursion should be getting better than it is (about 11), but even going slow didn't seem to have a significant impact. Might just be how it is with the heavy aerodynamic load that comes with the camper.

I was expecting a few better with the utility trailer too, wondering if the aero load from the taller furniture or the extra axle is what pulled it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIsyncro View Post
What he says.
I was looking around for more CANBUS ID's. Only have a couple right now.
I'll be sure to post them up when I get them. Which ones do you have so far?
__________________
2005.5 VW Jetta - 1.9 Turbo Diesel - 5 Speed
2000 Audi A6 - CJAA Common Rail TDI - Quattro - 01E
2005 Ford F-350 - 6.0L Turbo Diesel - Auto - 4x4
nate0031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Audi A6 Diesel, A6 and A8 Hybrids Models to Get Delayed U.S. Launch TDIMeister Other VW Group TD(I)s 7 December 10th, 2011 22:18
2.0 Common rail a6 Injector coding c_higgins OBD Scanners 3 November 29th, 2010 17:58
Audi Cross Coupe Quattro Concept: 2.0 Common Rail TDI Is Here (204hp/295 lb-ft) chewy TDI News/Tech 35 April 29th, 2007 21:56
common rail 03GOLFTDI19 VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) 8 September 19th, 2003 21:33
Audi A8 3.0 TDI 24valve common rail 2fastdre TDI News/Tech 13 September 8th, 2003 09:53


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.17264 seconds with 11 queries
[Output: 140.28 Kb. compressed to 117.98 Kb. by saving 22.31 Kb. (15.90%)]