www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

Old May 22nd, 2014, 16:14   #1
sapgar
Veteran Member

Default 2014 Jetta TDI or 1.8 TSI?

Hi All,

I've test driven both the TDI and TSI. I wonder if anyone else has weighed the pros and cons of each and which would be better to go with. Is the price premium for the TDI still worth it?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
sapgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 16:58   #2
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-48 mpg ave. Warm weather 38-42 cold weather. 35-38 extreme cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapgar View Post
Hi All,

I've test driven both the TDI and TSI. I wonder if anyone else has weighed the pros and cons of each and which would be better to go with. Is the price premium for the TDI still worth it to you?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Well according to your sig you already have a 2014 TDI. Are you considering buying another car? What is worth it?
If your only looking at fuel cost savings probably not. Drive-ability is a whole different story.

Last edited by MichaelB; May 22nd, 2014 at 17:08.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 17:01   #3
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Check the fuel mileage reports on Fuelly to compare the two engines.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 17:07   #4
fowvey
Veteran Member

I looked at this two ways, driving advantages and financial advantages.

First, driving:

I drive approximately 250 miles a week with a total of around 1200 a month with it being averaged out. In AZ and the SW in general, diesel is typically 30-50 cents higher than RUG. So, judging strictly by the EPA numbers, a TDI with combined of 34 MPG would yield me 35.29 gallons, at about 3.70 per gallon for $130.5 a month. The TSI would be 29 MPG, at about 3.45 per gallon, for $142 a month. This is about $12 a month saving, which is no match for the price justification difference. Now, on a TDI, you can drive further, which for me, was a very big plus. Most of my driving is on a highway (I did combined MPG for anyone else on here) so it made sense to me. A real world example would be a drive from Phoenix to Forest Lakes, AZ, ~220 miles round trip, and from 1200 feet to 7200 feet elevation. I achieved 39.8 mpg even during a snowstorm in which the car idled for a good 10 minutes for passengers' heat.

Financial advantages:

The resale value of TDIs has been known to be higher than the equivalent gas car, be it Jetta or Golf or anything else. Using KBB, a 2013 2.5L SE with equivalent options to a TDI base model, not Value Edition, is valued at $15,037 at 20k miles in very good condition. (the 2014 1.8T and TDI were not listed, nor were any other model, only the JSW was). The TDI with equivalent setup is $19,547. A 2014 SE w/Connectivity is $20,715 and the TDI base, non Value Edition, is $23,625, each according to vw.com at MSRP of course . So while the 2.5L is not the TSI, it is obvious that is judging the 2.5L to be approximately priced the same, you would have a roughly $5000 depreciation with the TSI versus the $4000 with the TDI. I paid cash for mine, but looking at it like that was another convincing argument for me.

For you, I would analyze your driving habit, mostly stop n' go or mix? Mostly highway? The TSI is one heck of an engine and is very competent of getting higher MPGs than the EPA posted, much like the TDI.

If I was doing this all over again, the TDI would still win it for me. It seems to be the better choice for my driving. For my Audi, their petrol engines required premium, which is the same or higher as diesel, so the difference there was even more convincing, plus the 700 mile range.

Current:
A6 TDI~30mpg city-36 highway A/C 100%
fowvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 17:43   #5
sapgar
Veteran Member

Yes, I have the TDI, but I think it's good but doesn't knock my socks off. I get good mpg... probably around 41 to 42 mixed overall since getting it. I test drove the TSI and was impressed but couldn't find it decently equipped with a stick. I'm thinking of driving the TDI over the next year or two, but with the new Golf Wagon coming out in TSI and TDI, I may cut that short and opt for the gas engine. TBD
sapgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 17:46   #6
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-48 mpg ave. Warm weather 38-42 cold weather. 35-38 extreme cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapgar View Post
Yes, I have the TDI, but I think it's good but doesn't knock my socks off. I get good mpg... probably around 41 to 42 mixed overall since getting it. I test drove the TSI and was impressed but couldn't find it decently equipped with a stick. I'm thinking of driving the TDI over the next year or two, but with the new Golf Wagon coming out in TSI and TDI, I may cut that short and opt for the gas engine. TBD
Sounds like you already have your mind made up. Fowvay spelled it all out for you. What would you like the rest of us to help you with?

Last edited by MichaelB; May 22nd, 2014 at 23:27.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 18:19   #7
Jetta SS
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '98 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 48

I test drove them both back to back also. TDI definitely took the win there. Funny thing is I stalled the TDI twice taking off in first. The 1.8 gave me no problem. Don't think I've ever stalled taking off in 1st in my old beast...... never!
Jetta SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 06:05   #8
Aztraveler
Veteran Member

TDI'S have a fuel cut off if the rpm's drop below a number. This makes them easy to stall until you get used to it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Aztraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 06:21   #9
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Did you look at the Jetta Hybrid??? I get better mileage than I got with my Sportwagen and it has good power!! Love the 7 speed DSG
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2001 Jeep Cherokee silver
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:02   #10
crewcabrob
Veteran Member

I bought the 1.8TSI. The numbers don't work favorable for the TDI in my area since there is a 30-50 cent premium for diesel in my area. And even after adding 50% to my normal yearly milage numbers for driving, I couldn't make the differnece back on financing, additional fuel cost and the intial cost of the car.

The 1.8TSI has been performing well for me, but I drive pretty conservative so my mileage numbers are good. Someone that drives more spirited may want to look at the TDI. It seems they are more forgiving if you drive it like you stole it and still want good numbers in return.

Rob

18x8 Voxx wheels et40mm, 235/40-18 Conti DWS tires, Crystal Vision Hi/Low/fogs, LED DRL, Stainless Tips
crewcabrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:15   #11
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Jetta 1.8T SE is some $7K less expensive than the SE Hybrid. Hard to justify that price difference for maybe 10 MPG.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:15   #12
crewcabrob
Veteran Member

It also kind of depends on how much you drive. I normally drive about 8000 miles a year, but now it looks like I might be driving three times that. For me, the numbers were still in favor of the 1.8TSI. The TDI cost more, the dealer was less interested on dealing on it, the financing option at time of purchase was 0% for 72 months on the TSI vs .9% for 60 months on the TDI and with the higher cost of fuel at every fill up, the TSI won my vote.

I am getting a lot better numbers with my TSI than reported by the EPA, but I suspect I would get higher numbers than EPA with teh TDI too. So I consider that a wash.

Rob

18x8 Voxx wheels et40mm, 235/40-18 Conti DWS tires, Crystal Vision Hi/Low/fogs, LED DRL, Stainless Tips
Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:54   #13
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

You can analyze this and make a choice, only to have the savings eliminated by changes in fuel prices, an unexpected repair, or a fall in trade-in value. Honestly the difference is small enough that fuel cost probably shouldn't be a decision-making factor.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:41   #14
crewcabrob
Veteran Member

Yep, I would agree it shouldn't just come down to numbers either, but that is the most compelling argument.

I also considered the intangibles. I can get RUG at any station, I can't find diesel neraly as easy. Sure, I would learn the stations that offer it quickly, but when I travel outside the area then its a crap shoot. Also, every diesel pump I have seen/used has been black and gooey. Likewise, the ground near the pump is always an oil slick. A huge consideration is the fact I might give this car to my daughter in a few years, and I don't want to worry about her dealing with the diesel issue. I know, its not that big of a deal, but why run the risk.

Rob

Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:59   #15
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Sorry, but you're way over playing the fueling issue. I've been hearing people talk about this since the late 70s when I got my first diesel. I can recall having trouble finding diesel twice: once in San Francisco on a Sunday morning in 1978, and once two years ago on a Sunday Morning in Buffalo NY. I got off the highway to buy diesel because I didn't want to pay the price at the service areas on the Thruway, but it was there if I wanted. All service centers on interstates have to have diesel by law. Most have separate pumps for cars, which are clean. And I've never had trouble finding diesel when I travel. Sorry, but not a good reason by itself.

BUT, I will say that when I helped my own daughter buy a car last year, she said, "PLEASE, no diesel." So I guess I have to bow to your choice on that front.