www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old May 10th, 2014, 14:16   #1
patrickmorris

Question Battery flat/Doors locked

Hey so my 01 Jetta has been parked up for two weeks at a friends house but the car had died due to the engine airlocking (air getting into my lines somehow) so i left it closeby at a friends. left it sitting for a while because ive been busy with exams and work been to the car a few nights to try fix it then decided today to get a truck to bring it to a garage car doors wouldnt open.

I can hear the mechanisms working in the door but its as if its stuck :/

My two barrels in the doors are seized (should probably of got that fixed) and ive to open it from the boot..but thats now not working.

The cars alarm is still flashing red so its not completely dead but is there anyway i can try to get in without it being too costly. If i can bend back the door will it open or is it deadlocked :/

Thanks for reading!
patrickmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 15:37   #2
TDI in MT
Veteran Member

The battery doesn't have enough power to pull all locking solenoids in at the same time.

Call a local locksmith. They have amazing tools to let them in to a locked car, and won't harm the car in the process.
TDI in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 09:14   #3
Black_Smoke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~4.9 l/100km. Could be better if I drove slower.

Alternately, you might be able to charge up the battery from underneath the car. Attach the positive lead of a charger to the big wire which is connected to the starter and attach the negative lead to some other bare metal engine part.

I can't remember for sure, but I'm pretty sure the starter solenoid is on the starter. If not, this idea won't work.

It's more pissing around, but cheaper than a locksmith (I've been a student).
Old May 11th, 2014, 09:37   #4
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

A locksmith will have an airbag they can insert into the car door near the top and create enough of a gap to get a flat tool in there and snag the handle, which will allow opening the door.

This can be done without damage.

The other alternative is to try to get a charger on the battery from the bottom (e.g. via the starter PRIMARY cable and ground) but that requires removing the belly pan AND if you short it out you're going to be EXTREMELY unhappy with what happens; that's a VERY high-current connection!

I would call the locksmith and I'm usually one to find my own answer to problems like this.
Genesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 09:46   #5
Black_Smoke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~4.9 l/100km. Could be better if I drove slower.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
The other alternative is to try to get a charger on the battery from the bottom (e.g. via the starter PRIMARY cable and ground) but that requires removing the belly pan AND if you short it out you're going to be EXTREMELY unhappy with what happens; that's a VERY high-current connection!
I like your idea.
Old May 11th, 2014, 18:56   #6
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Use the key in the lock.

Quote:
My two barrels in the doors are seized
Oh,
Use the key in the TRUNK lock.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote