www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Classifieds/For Sale/Wanted > Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale

Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale VW TDI/Diesel related items for sale by vendors and Groupbuys. The only commercial posts to these forums are that of Vendors with TDI related equipment. To start a post, you must be a Registered Vendor. You may periodically post a note about products you may have for sale/services so long you indicate clearly you are from the company selling these products/services. The right to discontinue this practice & remove excessive posts remains with the operators of TDIClub. Please note there is also a webpage of TDI Vendors" Group-buys are permited if sponsored by a registered vendor.

Old January 10th, 2014, 12:24   #31
mamock116
Veteran Member

If I buy one of these do you think I will gain any power? I have a CR with a stage1 tune.
mamock116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 13:00   #32
INA

TDI(s): 2.5 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamock116 View Post
If I buy one of these do you think I will gain any power? I have a CR with a stage1 tune.
We don't promote Fluidampr's as a power adder so if you make any power over OEM then consider that a bonus.
INA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 22:12   #33
Lofty86
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52MPG

Mamock, although as stated they are not sold for power, I can tell you know that a crank with less vibrations going through it got me more power on my A-Series engines (4 of them).

I'm not saying you 100% will, but I did.

I think when I have some penny's I will be getting one. Mainly to quiet the engine down and less wear on parts. Power will be good if it cones though.

D
Old January 10th, 2014, 22:13   #34
Lofty86
Veteran Member

...comes
Old January 10th, 2014, 23:55   #35
madcowintucson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): golf

I can say my engine is loud but idles very smooth with bfi yellow mounts a smf and the damper. Seat of pants vibes is at least stock, not to mention, if its actually working its the last one I will have to buy and I have peace of mind. I mean lets face it, factory rubber was tuned to a particular combination of parts, change almost anything and it is out of tune. Sure it will still work some, but I do not believe it is working in its frequency range at all. I have over 100,000 miles on the fluidamper and I have no belt wear, no leaking seal or anything bad. So if one is skeptical about frequency and harmonics, well if it was destructing I think I would know by now and my engine is far from stock. Also, my first SPEC smf clutch was super loud and chattered all the time at idle bad, I switch over to a luk clutch from pep boys (lifetime warranty) and put my damper on when engine was down and it make no noise or chatter at all.
madcowintucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 06:22   #36
A5INKY

Fuel Economy: pretty good

I think I am sold. This will be my next car part purchase. I will download one of those iPhone apps that analyze vibration and take some before and after data when I do it to see if the difference can be measured. My car vibes are so significant it should be a good test case.

A5INKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 09:16   #37
Nash_TDI
Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: 63.25mpg max

Quote:
Originally Posted by A5INKY View Post
I think I am sold. This will be my next car part purchase. I will download one of those iPhone apps that analyze vibration and take some before and after data when I do it to see if the difference can be measured. My car vibes are so significant it should be a good test case.
If you decide to order one I may get one too.
PD Cam tools, BSM tool, VE & PD TB tool rental available.
Nash_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 11:45   #38
Lofty86
Veteran Member

App that meaures vibes?? Whats it called please A5INKY

I think Ill try one when the funds allow.
Old January 11th, 2014, 17:10   #39
madcowintucson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): golf

Anyone want any pictures of mine installed and comparison shots just let me know, you can see how it looks and stuff
madcowintucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 17:24   #40
A5INKY

Fuel Economy: pretty good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofty86 View Post
App that meaures vibes?? Whats it called please A5INKY

I think Ill try one when the funds allow.
I'm thinking something like this:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/vibration/id301097580?mt=8

A5INKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 13:33   #41
robnitro
Veteran Member

What's also interesting about fluid dampers is that they can be used to balance tires.

I remember reading a while back that truck tires could be balance using a fluid, but they were using small beads that fit into the valve stem. Then you pressurize the tire and the balls (which act like a fluid) dynamically counter imbalance.
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php

It's nothing magical, just a good way to balance things dynamically... The rubber one sort of does the same thing but has less "range" of movement, so it doesn't get all of the vibrations out.

INA, you said that the underdrive pulley cost $35 to make, and sold for 100 or more.

That said, I don't see why a damper machined, welded together, and filled with fluid should cost around $400!
robnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 15:39   #42
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

In terms of materials, yeah, it's expensive. R&D costs have to be factored in, which I given that the part has to endure temperature extremes would make a difference. Due to the fact that a fluid can have drastically different fluid dynamic properties near freezing than it would 60 F hotter than that, I kind of get it. The rest though is marketing and maintained profit margins, to a degree.
Old January 12th, 2014, 20:06   #43
INA

TDI(s): 2.5 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
That said, I don't see why a damper machined, welded together, and filled with fluid should cost around $400!
There really is no Research & Development in taking an OEM pulley , giving it to a machinist who has 6 months training in lathe work and having him turn a chunk of aluminium into a pulley.

At Fluidampr , there is a design process which takes countless hours in CAD. It is not as simple as filling a open void with fluid as there are design constraints. Once that is done the part is 3D printed and tested for any fitment issues. If fitment issues arise it is back to square one. If no fitment issues arise then a prototype is made. Once that prototype is made , it is then tested for results and then goes into a production cycle of 50 units.

Assume that every new application Fluidampr gets involved in takes them the entire production run of 50 to "break even". I can't speak for cost of materials but I do know OEM viscous dampners (TTRS) are 5 times more than the cheaper Rubber dampner found in a similar application (Rabbit). That being said , If we could all make viscous dampners in house then there would not be a need for companies like ATI & Fluidampr.
INA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 17:56   #44
G60ING
Veteran Member

Default Fluiddampr

I was ready to buy the 1.8t one before but then I thought somebody said it was designed for the 1.8t harmonics but now there is this conversation. I'll put it on my wish list for the future for when my oem dampener bites the dust. Thanks for the knowledge update. If you hear this part might be discontinued please update this thanks!
G60ING is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 23:14   #45
robnitro
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G60ING View Post
I was ready to buy the 1.8t one before but then I thought somebody said it was designed for the 1.8t harmonics but now there is this conversation. I'll put it on my wish list for the future for when my oem dampener bites the dust. Thanks for the knowledge update. If you hear this part might be discontinued please update this thanks!
It's not tuned to any specific frequency, its dynamic. Which is kind of killing the argument of R+D driving up the price. Most of the R+D is to get something that fits the engine and can fit the fluid. No magic squirrels inside balancing your engine. Some mention needing spacers to get the 1.8T one to line up with the TDI serp belt. So, it's sort of a hack, but I'm sure it works fine... to repeat my point, it doesn't require tuning of frequency like a rubber based mount/damper needs. That's the "magic" that kills their argument of R+D for every car

I'm all for this idea, like in tires. It would even be great to do it in a "dual mass" flywheel- if there were a fluid that could handle that heat.

But $400 is too steep for me and others. But if it works well for you guys to sell it for $400, that's good for you.
robnitro is offline   Reply With Quote