www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Classifieds/For Sale/Wanted > Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale

Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale VW TDI/Diesel related items for sale by vendors and Groupbuys. The only commercial posts to these forums are that of Vendors with TDI related equipment. To start a post, you must be a Registered Vendor. You may periodically post a note about products you may have for sale/services so long you indicate clearly you are from the company selling these products/services. The right to discontinue this practice & remove excessive posts remains with the operators of TDIClub. Please note there is also a webpage of TDI Vendors" Group-buys are permited if sponsored by a registered vendor.

Old July 1st, 2013, 03:56   #31
burpod
teh stallionz!!1

waiting for my set of golf HIDs jeff also hooked me up with some nice mini HID bi-xenons that i'll be doing a custom install on in my mk1 rabbit bumper as auxillary driving/fog lights can't wait! i've been wanting to put in some small round HIDs in that forever!
88 scirocco
AHU 2056vl build... delayed...05 jetta tdi & 06 golf tdi
burpod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 14:25   #32
freakwithracket

TDI(s): 2003
Fuel Economy: 50.57mpg

Alright guys, I have finally posted photos of the Golf headlights. I will have photos of the GLI style up on Monday when I make my first set of those. We have upgraded our projectors to include a different angel eye, one that looks really good. The projectors are exactly the same otherwise, so light output has not changed. Both the golf and jetta versions use the same projectors, so if you are interested in a set of Golf lights, the output is as posted above. Sorry I don't have any photos of the Golf lights on a car..I don't own a Golf...

One last note about the Golf: you have the option of using the Bi-Xenon projector for the high beams, using the stock reflector for the highs, or both..your call. Whichever you decide is how I will wire it up.
HID Headlights
www.midwestlight.biz
freakwithracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 14:42   #33
Scorny
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2 ALH TDi's

Will there be an option to disable the angel lights ?
Can wait to see pics of the GLI version.
Thanks.
Scorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 14:57   #34
freakwithracket

Yeah, the Angel Eyes are off by default. I have to wire them up to work. Totally optional.
HID Headlights
www.midwestlight.biz
Old July 5th, 2013, 15:26   #35
Thermo1223
Veteran Member

Eagerly awaiting...GLI!

'04 Jetta Wagon TDI - She's dead
'09 Forester XT /4A
Thermo1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 19:38   #36
jayb79
Veteran Member

Very nice work. Can you post some pics of the back of the Golf lights? Do they project out the back further than the stock lights? It is very tight on the battery side. What do the ballast look like? Thanks for offering these up.
Old July 5th, 2013, 20:04   #37
FlyTDI Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.5/44/41

Did you see post #6 above? For minimal space requirements, the mini-ballasts offer the most flexibility on placement.

'01 Jetta GLS, 5 sp, Black on Black, Leather, Sun Roof, MFSW, Monsoon, Cold Weather Pkg., Full LED interior, always a work in progress
FlyTDI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 21:19   #38
freakwithracket

The actual housing is no longer than stock. Here is a photo of wires coming out the back. Like I said, I don't have a golf, so I don't know the space there. If someone can give me an idea of exactly how much space there is that would be awesome. Really, you just need enough to let some wires hang there. Those wires also all have a bunch of slack inside the housings, and can be pulled out about 6-8 more inches. Now, if worse comes to worse and the Golf does not have enough room, I can always just put those wires through the side of the housing by where the stock headlight connector is. Plenty of room over there.

The ballasts are slim ballasts. They don't get any smaller. If you just google "slim ballast' that will show you what I mean.

HID Headlights
www.midwestlight.biz

Last edited by freakwithracket; July 5th, 2013 at 21:44.
Old July 5th, 2013, 21:56   #39
FlyTDI Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.5/44/41

Yeah, I termed it wrong. I really meant slim ballasts not 'mini-ballast'. Following this thread w/interest. Good you are still with the OEM back covers. Some of the other variants require deeper, non-stock covers that don't seal well and create interference issues.

If you don't mind me asking, which bulb do these take and which projectors are you using. What is the lens diameter? I take it the halo's surround the projector nose only as shown above? Do the blinkers use a single element holder and could you (meaning the buyer) change to a dual element and use them as 'running' or 'city' lights? Thanks for your efforts and hope you sell many. Looking forwards to the GLI version as well.

'01 Jetta GLS, 5 sp, Black on Black, Leather, Sun Roof, MFSW, Monsoon, Cold Weather Pkg., Full LED interior, always a work in progress
FlyTDI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 16:17   #40
BlankThis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: suck, squeeze, bang, smoke

What's the pricing looking like for the Golf lights? Also will there be blacked lights (ala GLI) offered for Golf?
BlankThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 20:23   #41
jayb79
Veteran Member

from the first post
"The price for these is $250 which includes shipping. If you would also like to have a pair of ballasts as well, I can include a pair of 35 or 55W ballasts as well for an additional $40. Glass lenses are also available upon request. Here are the complete setup options:

Plastic lenses and W/O ballasts: $250
Plastic Lenses and with ballasts $290
Glass Lenses and W/O ballasts: $315
Glass Lenses and with ballasts: $350"
Old July 6th, 2013, 20:32   #42
BlankThis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: suck, squeeze, bang, smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb79 View Post
from the first post
"The price for these is $250 which includes shipping. If you would also like to have a pair of ballasts as well, I can include a pair of 35 or 55W ballasts as well for an additional $40. Glass lenses are also available upon request. Here are the complete setup options:

Plastic lenses and W/O ballasts: $250
Plastic Lenses and with ballasts $290
Glass Lenses and W/O ballasts: $315
Glass Lenses and with ballasts: $350"
Jeff said that the Golf packages would be a bit more expensive.
BlankThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 21:10   #43
freakwithracket

I'll try to answer some questions, hope I get them all.

The projectors are a variant of the G8 projector. They have a different shroud but the internals are the same. The bulbs can be purchased by searching for "G8 HID bulb" or something similar. Keep in mind, that on the 35W ballasts these bulbs are rated for 3200 hours, and on the 55W ballasts ~1900 hours. If you drive two hours a day, you are looking at 4+ years on a single bulb. You can also extend the life of them by disabling your DRL. Of course, anyone who needs extra bulbs at some point and is having trouble can contact me and I can either supply them or point them towards various websites to get them. The reality of any aftermarket HID setup is that you will have to order bulbs online. AutoZone just does not carry anything of the like.

The pricing on the Golf will be +$20 over the jetta. The Golf headlight assemblies just cost more from the manufacturer.

The "GLI" style golf headlights are significantly more from the manufacturer. In the range of $30 more over the chrome. It is dumb, but it is what it is. For that reason I would generally stay away from those. At some point it started to get away from the affordable concept. I think part of the problem is that the black lip golf headlights are so called "20th Anniversary" lights, so for some reason that puts a premium on the look. I think that is nonsense, but I don't produce the lights so I can't change that. That being said, if a customer really wants them we can make it happen. I can either just order the black ones at whatever the additional cost is, or I can paint that lens lip myself. I would charge maybe $5 extra for the cost of paint but that is it. I would not like to get in the habit of doing paint jobs to these, so I won't offer them as a normal thing, but if someone is that set of them I'll do it.

Almost forgot, The lens diameter is 2.5".

If you guys have more questions let me know!

Jeff
HID Headlights
www.midwestlight.biz

Last edited by freakwithracket; July 6th, 2013 at 21:17.
Old July 6th, 2013, 21:23   #44
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Nice work, Jeff.

While I have a set of aftermarket HID's in my 2005.5 (MKV) Jetta, I wish they were better quality and have a better light pattern. Do you have any forward thinking plans to make a drop in for a MKV?

Tony
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 21:37   #45
freakwithracket

I have considered it, and I am sure that I will at some point. At some point the market for Jetta IV lights will fade and the natural thing to do is to phase in newer models. The newer the car is though, the more expensive those parts (headlight assemblies) become. So I don't think I could offer them right now at the rates I can for the IV. That being said, if anyone has a set of V headlights they would like retrofitted, they are welcome to send them to me and I can do the work to their existing assemblies. Like I said, I will one day transition to the new models, but I'm trying to take things one step at a time.

Where did you get your V aftermarket headlights?
HID Headlights
www.midwestlight.biz