www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Classifieds/For Sale/Wanted > Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale

Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale VW TDI/Diesel related items for sale by vendors and Groupbuys. The only commercial posts to these forums are that of Vendors with TDI related equipment. To start a post, you must be a Registered Vendor. You may periodically post a note about products you may have for sale/services so long you indicate clearly you are from the company selling these products/services. The right to discontinue this practice & remove excessive posts remains with the operators of TDIClub. Please note there is also a webpage of TDI Vendors" Group-buys are permited if sponsored by a registered vendor.

Old February 6th, 2013, 19:52   #16
schultp
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 View Post
This is exactly the reason why I have no intention of removing my return filter. It will stay in my car - at least until 2micron comes up with a better design.

Have Fun!

Don
Mine will stay on my car. I still am using the original bracket. I do wish I got one of the new brackets simply for the elegant look of this solution! But, the original bracket certainly serves my needs.

The problem will continue to be that someone will always point out that whatever we filter out there will still be a chance of a smaller particle getting through and causing damage. Since we cannot do the definitive testing these naysayers will always be able to claim they could be correct. But an important point is that I never considered Andrews products as some sort of guarantee that the HPFP would never fail but that the damage would be limited to only the pump (if using both the Contains Flow and Pure Flow products).

Also, I suppose one proof that sub 5 micron particles are less of a concern to the VW engineers is the fact that the main OEM fuel filter has a micron rating that is above 5 micron from what I recall. Seems like they didn't have worries about the need to filter down to less than 5 microns. I wonder what kind of sub 5 micron particulate crap is in our diesel fuel to begin with?

2010 JSW TDI, 6sp manual
schultp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 09:45   #17
elkriver

It would increase the cost but Nicktane's Uber filter looks about as good as anything available. Don't think it would fit the mount as currently configured. And, it wouldn't do anything to increase the effectiveness of the stock supply filter. If the folks who complained want perfect, it isn't available. People like them would rather live with the status quo. they must be under 60k miles.
elkriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:12   #18
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

I love the drain flow intercooler kit. Nice work. I'll definitely consider one for our car, though the problem is that my wife would never remember to use it.

On the return fuel filter I would be curious what the potential cost savings is for having this device in the event of an HPFP failure. I still don't have a handle on what the 'real' not dealership repair cost is for that failure, but I'd be curious if this would reduce the repair by $500 or several thousand.

EDIT: Sorry to post this in the vendor thread. I just realized that there was a whole other thread for discussion on this part.

Last edited by KITEWAGON; February 8th, 2013 at 14:44.
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 12:37   #19
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITEWAGON View Post
On the return fuel filter I would be curious what the potential cost savings is for having this device in the event of an HPFP failure. I still don't have a handle on what the 'real' not dealership repair cost is for that failure, but I'd be curious if this would reduce the repair by $500 or several thousand.
If the filter works as planned (which is what the current controversy is about) it would drastically reduce the cost. Currently it is in the 7-10 thousand dollar range - replacing the entire fuel system from tank to injectors. With the return filter alone, you would only have to replace the HPFP, fuel rail and injectors. With the filter and 2microns HPFP mod, you would only have to replace the HPFP and one fuel filter (under $1000 in parts). This, of course, assumes that the filter actually catches all of the HPFP debris particles. Since there has not yet been an HPFP failure with these parts installed - this is all conjecture, not fact.

Have Fun!

Don
Old February 8th, 2013, 13:20   #20
LNXGUY
Veteran Member

Isn't 90% of that repair cost in the HPFP and injectors?
Old February 8th, 2013, 14:03   #21
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Parts maybe. Labor is probably half to start with.
Old February 8th, 2013, 21:22   #22
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: low 38, high 61, avg 48

Most of the time is swapping the pump and injectors too.. Cleaning the tank takes a ton more time than replacing it too..
Old February 9th, 2013, 14:49   #23
wanabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultp View Post
Also, I suppose one proof that sub 5 micron particles are less of a concern to the VW engineers is the fact that the main OEM fuel filter has a micron rating that is above 5 micron from what I recall. Seems like they didn't have worries about the need to filter down to less than 5 microns. I wonder what kind of sub 5 micron particulate crap is in our diesel fuel to begin with?
I agree with your logic but it seems that the system needs a better filter than comes standard. I.e., the engineers were wrong. Otherwise we would not need to replace parts upstream from the filter. I have a vague memory from years ago that Bosch specified the filtration needed for the HPFP but I can't find it now. If the filter meets those specs then it is the Bosch engineers that were wrong. Does anyone have those specs?
Old February 10th, 2013, 05:35   #24
ihatespeed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40mpg city 46 avg, 50 hwy 33 trailer

I wouldn't take my contain flow off if you told me it sold crack in the elementary school. Id love to get the pure flow as well.
As far as I'm concerned a 5 micron filter is so much superior than passing pump guts straight back to the clean side of the stock filter where it is free to go unimpeded right back through the fuel rail again, its not even funny.
Old February 10th, 2013, 10:18   #25
joeelmex
Veteran Member

Can we still buy them if we want? I will rather have some protection over no protection. Keep up the great work.
joeelmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 11:23   #26
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeelmex View Post
Can we still buy them if we want? I will rather have some protection over no protection. Keep up the great work.
I do not know if 2micron is closely following these threads. It appears that there are many members here who are aware of the possible limitations of this kit and want it anyway. I would suggest sending PMs to 2micron. I do know that he has about 30 of these kits built, but he has officially suspended sales due to concerns about it's usefulness. If enough people tell him that they are aware of the issues and still want to buy it, he might be willing to sell some more. I cannot speak for him, but it can't hurt to ask.

Have Fun!

Don
Old February 13th, 2013, 20:34   #27
elkriver

I can rig up my own return filter set up but I can't machine my own Pure Flow adapter. Do we know if these will ever be available?
elkriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2013, 20:47   #28
bhutchins
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: best 47

a lude analogy, but a condom is 99%, not 100% but close. not using one is looking for trouble. you want one that's 100%???

5uM filter is not 100%, but 99%, go without and you could be looking for trouble. I know, I've got a tween and a teen. lots of touble, but worth it.
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:00   #29
paramedick
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor

I'm eagerly awaiting the availability of both products
paramedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:02   #30
bobt2382
Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor

Fuel Economy: 46.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedick View Post
I'm eagerly awaiting the availability of both products
I'm eagerly awaiting the availability of the Pure Flow adapter!
2010 4D CWhite Golf TDI, 6 sp manual, Fluidampr, Bixenons, Rear Airbags, RNS-510, Dynaudio, DieselGeek SS & P2015 bracket, Force Fed Eng. Shifter Bushings. XB,UB, & RB UNIbraces; TyrolSport Brake Caliper Bushing, 2Micron Contain/PureFlow kits & timing belt cover, PolarFis MFD module, Euro light switch, R Red LED Tail Lights,Under Seat Drawers, Full color MFD cluster.
bobt2382 is offline   Reply With Quote