www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Classifieds/For Sale/Wanted > Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale

Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale VW TDI/Diesel related items for sale by vendors and Groupbuys. The only commercial posts to these forums are that of Vendors with TDI related equipment. To start a post, you must be a Registered Vendor. You may periodically post a note about products you may have for sale/services so long you indicate clearly you are from the company selling these products/services. The right to discontinue this practice & remove excessive posts remains with the operators of TDIClub. Please note there is also a webpage of TDI Vendors" Group-buys are permited if sponsored by a registered vendor.

Old February 5th, 2013, 04:19   #31
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I'm a bit puzzled about how to comply with Forum rules on Vendor threads. We post one thread a month in conjunction with our newsletter. Last weekend someone bumped a year-old Koni sale thread and Nick pinged Corey (wrong person as it was my thread) to consolidate or delete the second thread on the front page. Maybe I'm missing something but I'm not sure how to do that. Also, we have no control over members bumping old (and long forgotten) threads. I wrote Nick about this yesterday, no reply yet.

Today we're sending our February newsletter. Since we already have two threads on the front page (both obsolete) I don't feel I can post this month's newsletter.

This old not very internet savvy guy needs some direction here.
Old February 5th, 2013, 08:02   #32
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Peter, my understanding is that vendors can only have one active thread. Have you decided which of your threads you want to be "your thread?" Or would you prefer to start a new thread each month and abandon the previous month's thread?

Sorry if I'm speaking out of turn - just trying to help you get some info on this.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 09:20   #33
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

We'd like to post a new thread each month and have any existing thread(s) locked or deleted. We want the title to be specific to that month so we don't want a single ongoing thread. This is important to us for SEO.
Old February 5th, 2013, 10:27   #34
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

No problem to do it that way. Send Nick or myself a PM with precise, engineering-type instructions e.g. "Delete this thread - and here is the link to it" and then start the new thread. Co-ordinate with him about whether he wants you to wait for a confirmation that the old thread has been deleted before starting the new one ... or will tolerate a short period of having both threads open.

If an old thread gets bumped so that you accidentally have two threads open ... we're not THAT rigid. It will quite likely prompt a question over what to do about it, but it's not like we don't understand that these things will happen from time to time.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 10:37   #35
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

One suggestion I have is to lock all old threads that have essentially been abandoned. That will prevent new people from bumping old threads that no longer serve a purpose. Old threads will still be available for research and review.

Old February 5th, 2013, 13:20   #36
cevans
TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI Parts Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
...been deleted before starting the new one ... or will tolerate a short period of having both threads open.

If an old thread gets bumped so that you accidentally have two threads open ... we're not THAT rigid. It will quite likely prompt a question over what to do about it, but it's not like we don't understand that these things will happen from time to time.
I think VeeDub's suggestion is much better for the Vendors and members - locking, rather than deleting the thread. Deleting a thread also means that any reference information that was in the thread is also no longer accessible for people who are searching for information. Vendor threads are not just "FOR SALE" threads, but places where members can ask the specific vendor a question about a product and that answer is shared with the club.

My recommendation is:
Each vendor one new thread every 30 days. Every vendor thread is locked 60 days after its creation, so at any given time a vendor can only have two threads ongoing.

(I at first thought a 30 day expiration period, but having a small overlap period seems more natural. After 60 days most threads are dead anyhow)

The "one thread per vendor" thing really kills the idea of the Vendor section as a forum - it becomes just a directory of vendors rather than a list of topic-specific conversations. As a consumer, I'm not going to react well to a thread that is 6 months old and 20 pages long, especially if I'm on the hunt "shopping around" for the newest stuff.

Last edited by cevans; February 5th, 2013 at 13:24.
cevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 13:50   #37
DPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5- 47 Forester, Citroen 55- 63

Given the opportunity, I'd be looking towards a subforum per vendor, paid if necessary...
DPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 16:06   #38
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Hang in there and keep the suggestions coming. The current rule and enforcement thereof was necessary to stop a situation that was spiraling out of control. It's not the be-all and end-all.

Another forum that I'm a member of, uses a sub-forum per vendor (paid, in that case) and it works pretty well.
Old February 5th, 2013, 16:17   #39
GotEuroCorrado

i dont think we have so many vendors that we need to have subsections. i think is we even break the vendor section into new and used parts it will be a huge help. many people go into the vendor section and cant differentiate new and used parts sellers without clicking each and reading the entire post. this is time consuming and people just stick to the regular classifieds.
smoking deals on TIMING BELT KITS: http://tinyurl.com/ov57jfl
GotEuroCorrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 17:06   #40
79TA7.6
Veteran Member

I am not sure if this is possible or not, but can you give the vendor who originated the thread power to control that thread? This way they could delete their own stuff, add new stuff, and so forth. If this was possible then my suggestion to the vendors is to either lock your threads when you are done with them, maybe leaving the last post as a note to PM for more info, or to keep one long running thread. In the long running thread I would suggest that you insert a post to the top with your new items so they do not get lost in the shuffle and add a post to the bottom indicating that there are new products available.

This is just a thought from a customer's point of view.

2003 Jetta 5 Speed 272K miles. Malone stage 3. Titan 502 big hole injectors. VNT17 turbo. BuzzKen 2.5" down pipe. Ventectomy, EGR and cooler delete, Euro Switch, Home made custom HID.
79TA7.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 17:53   #41
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

There are limitations to what the VBulletin software will allow, which we have to operate within.

The sub-forum per vendor system works OK when you have a comparatively small number of vendors (i.e. only those who pay). TDIclub has literally hundreds of vendors on the approved list - only a fraction of whom are active. Keep in mind that from our point of view, everyone has to be treated the same (and right now, everyone is being treated the same by only allowing one active thread per!!). If we want to go the sub-forum per vendor route, do we want hundreds of new forum sub-sections???

The amount of effort that it takes for moderators (read: unpaid) to manage whatever structure we come up with, is a consideration.
Old February 5th, 2013, 18:35   #42
GotEuroCorrado

PARDON THE LONG REPLY, and any grammar errors

i think you may be onto something. we have a lot of inactive vendors here, and the few mods we have are trying to cater to ALL (active or not) of them. we really should be concentrating on the fraction, as you put it, that are active. looking in the vendor thread now, it really does not seem like that many.

that being said i really would like to bring up my idea about breaking the classifieds into 2 additional sections. FS/WTB cars, FS new parts vendor, FS used parts vendor, FS services vendor, FS/WTB private classifieds.

this would actually decrease the workload on current mods because the vendors would have proper room to work without trying to cram everything into one horrifically long post, or having to bump their thread multiple times a day.

i imagine the following:

vendor: bobs big brakes

new parts vendor section: bobs would advertise (only) new brake kits, and brake parts. oem, aftermarket, etc. as long as kits are NEW.

used parts vendor section: bobs would advertise (only) used brake parts. these could be the good oem brakes removed when upgrading a customer to big brakes. also any other used parts they have.

services vendor section: bobs would advertise (only) services. these could be brake jobs, repairs on brake systems, diagnostic work, or even other repair work not brake related that bobs offers.

bob can link in his signature to all three threads so a customer viewing any post of his will also see he has others. this ways bobs will not be in a race with many other vendors to keep bumping their threads to stay on the first page.

now, look at it from a customers point of view. Currently someone needing brake calipers to do a repair themselves will not necessarily look to bobs thread because bobs looks to be a new parts vendor, or a service vendor. also if the customer does make it to bobs thread, bobs may not want to list EVERYTHING they offer because it would massively clutter one thread. also the casual customer will not look at the new parts vendors for services or used parts. this means no matter how often bobs updates their used parts list there will never be enough eyes on the items catch the customers passing by.

i understand this type of setup will initially take some time and manpower. im willing to give up some of my time by helping as a mod or temp mod to see improvements.
smoking deals on TIMING BELT KITS: http://tinyurl.com/ov57jfl

Last edited by GotEuroCorrado; February 8th, 2013 at 16:11.
GotEuroCorrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2013, 16:03   #43
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: No data yet.

I may be busy these days, but I still check here. Several members with multiple threads cluttering this section again. PM warnings sent 5 minutes ago.

Fix them by Noon 14 Apr PST.
nicklockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2013, 20:11   #44
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Yeah there are a few people who are testing their limits again.

Old April 15th, 2013, 15:39   #45
cevans
TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI Parts Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Can the mods please unlock our not-in-violation thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=381490

This is beyond ridiculous.
cevans is offline   Reply With Quote