www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Classifieds/For Sale/Wanted > Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale

Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale VW TDI/Diesel related items for sale by vendors and Groupbuys. The only commercial posts to these forums are that of Vendors with TDI related equipment. To start a post, you must be a Registered Vendor. You may periodically post a note about products you may have for sale/services so long you indicate clearly you are from the company selling these products/services. The right to discontinue this practice & remove excessive posts remains with the operators of TDIClub. Please note there is also a webpage of TDI Vendors" Group-buys are permited if sponsored by a registered vendor.

Old August 25th, 2011, 20:30   #1
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI
Thumbs up Progress Reports - CONSOLIDATE IN ONE THREAD! Please bump your master pages :)

Do it.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 12:51   #2
BKmetz
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG

New rule: (cue Bill Maher) Vendors cannot post anything for sale in the 'Private TDI Items for sale/Wanted' forum regardless if the item is from personal use and not part of the business. No exceptions.

We have better things to do than spend time searching for vendors posts in that forum and deciding if the posts should be there or not.

If ANYONE receives a PM/email from a TDIClub member shilling anything and they are NOT a registered vendor, please forward the PM/emails to me. To report spam, trolling, or any problem post, click the report post icon. (The icon in the actual problem post, not the one in my sig. The idiots know who they are... )

Last edited by BKmetz; October 7th, 2011 at 16:02. Reason: grammar & spelling
BKmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2012, 16:03   #3
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: No data yet.

There are a few vendors massively spamming and abusing this board. This is unfair to the other vendors who play by the rules.

{edit} OLD rule + NEW enforcement: a vendor may have only ONE thread in the top page (with default forum settings) at any time. Any extras WILL BE DELETED or mass-consolidated (messy), and you will get a short term time-out. Serial abusers will get exponentially escalating ban times.

Implementation date: I will start enforcing the rule on 1 Jan, 2013. You are expected to have complied fully by then, or you'll get the ban. Sorry for the draconian rules, but it seems a few bad apples is all it takes to spoil the bunch.

Last edited by nicklockard; January 28th, 2013 at 13:40. Reason: Clarified meaning of 'top page' as (with default forum settings). Added clarity on deletions--may also mass consolidate.
nicklockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 15:35   #4
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

I had a bit of time today, and got started on the thread-consolidation project, and I know that someone else was working on it, too. If any vendors want to change the name of their master thread, or suggest which threads to consolidate and which ones to just lock or delete, let us know by private message.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 18:10   #5
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Update: I'm already seeing a positive change as more vendors are consolidating threads: MORE VARIETY of good deals for customers! That's good instead of just seeing the same half-dozen vendors.

GOOD WORK CLUB VENDORS.

A few of you have reached out to me and other moderators with questions/concerns and the communication has been very appreciated. I am here to help you curate your threads. Just let me know what post numbers to pare away. To avoid cluttering, you can allow members to post their questions in your threads, then after you've either responded to their inquiries by PM's or by clarifying something in your FS posting, you can request thread cleanups. Also, we can change the title for you to reflect whatever specials or deals you're currently running.

I'm thinking weekly paring or maybe more. It' doesn't take me that long to edit threads.

You can post updates, post photo content, and bump your own threads to your heart's content--but only one thread in the top default page. You can maintain several other threads for informational purposes, but to prevent those threads from getting you into trouble with the 'one thread on the default top page' rule, we can lock it for you (with periodic openings at your request to edit it). You can then point members to those posts (send them the link) and not get into any trouble since the thread can't be bumped.

So don't be shy to reach out to me for technical help and assistance. We want the most variety of vendors to get top page time as possible because that serves the user base the best.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:53   #6
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Update: seeing some mixed results. Some vendors who are in touch with me are working on thread cleanups. Some others are brazenly flaunting the rule, even after I PM'd them. Ban time-out!

Some thread cleanup protips:

1. K.I.S.S. Verbosity is your enemy. Your customer inquiries might get you "free bumps" but they also totally clutter your threads. Moderators can strip out all that clutter if you just send us a list of post numbers to remove.
2. Shrink pics down unless they HAVE to be huge to convey detail. Visual overkill/verbosity is your enemy.
3. You can copy image URL tags by right-clicking on them, even for locked threads.
4. It's often helpful to use Word to craft your thread in case your internet connection is spotty, so you don't lose work.

Work Flow Tips for new threads:

1. Create a new master thread with a nice title (we can edit at any time later, so don't worry about being locked into one phrase).
2. Reserve 6-12 sequential posts or however many you wish.
3. Craft your thread using Word, and periodically paste it into the post window to see how it's shaping up.
4. Use right-sized images, lists, and hyperlinks with appropriate white-space.
5. Consider encouraging potential customers to PM you with inquiries. Bumping your own threads is NOT seen as desperate in this Vendor's section. It's your job! It shows you curate and manage your 'store front' well.
6. So, you're too big to fit in one thread--So is everyone else. Deal with it: post huge images, detailed descriptions, and other stuff in external threads, which you will point members to with a thumbnail and clickable link. We will lock those external threads so you don't get in trouble.
7. Clear out the old clutter: Search for all your vendor threads--at the bottom of the screen, you select 'search by thread starter', then let us know which ones to be locked/deleted/etcetera...

Anyway, this enforcement of an old rule (look at the OP date) is yielding good changes. As a potential customer/shopper, I find the front page much better and easier to spot good deals, with more variety.

Last edited by nicklockard; January 3rd, 2013 at 13:13. Reason: modified 'images' to 'huge images'. Edited to add white space. Highlight to see it. Other readability/blocking formatting.
Old January 5th, 2013, 17:55   #7
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

(Saturday) Progress report:

Today through tomorrow evening some vendors are being allowed to have more than one thread in the top page STRICTLY FOR house-keeping (thread cleanup/consolidate, etcetera).

Once your informational (detailed, in depth sales material) threads are up to snuff, they'll normally be locked.

Sorry if it's messy right now.

A note: some of you are having a heck of a time getting this organized: this is because you have way too much advice/chatter posts mixed in with transactional/sales/promotional content. The transactional/sales/promotional posts and content can ONLY exist here in the vendor's section, and your threads will be much easier to consolidate/cleanup if you strip out the chatter and inquiries.

ProTips:

1. Read what your customers have been asking, including technical and pricing enqueries.
2. Incorporate that information into your sales/promo posts, so that their questions will already be answered.
3. Request deletion of chatter posts. (Or start a fresh thread).

If you want help from us moderators,

We will need your EXACT, SPELLED OUT preferences for thread cleanup assistance, in engineering terms like:

1. "please delete posts 4,6,7,8,9, 13, and 15 from thread "X(link)" and change it's title to "blahblah".
2. "please open thread "Z(link)" so that I may edit it. Please retitle it "wowow"; I will be done at time "T".

If you want to communicate with me, a text message to fiv2zer0_31two*76_Oh.1 will be fastest, I can't check emails as often.

Last edited by nicklockard; December 30th, 2014 at 13:12. Reason: Edited text #.
Old January 6th, 2013, 21:45   #8
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Sunday Progress Report:

I am giving a time extension for house-keeping duties to a few vendors until Monday 9:00 PM, my time because I had family stuff going on this weekend and could not assist them.

Seeing good progress as threads are getting organized. As a potential customer, your pages look a TON better as they are easier on the eyes and to navigate.

I am continuing to crack down on stealth vendors (vendors who sell junk-yard parts or parts off of 'back counter' through the personal items FS threads. I do NOT think you guys should have to compete against that.

I'm screening the personal items FS threads frequently 'by thread starter' in the prior (running) week. Report stealth vendors if you find them. No reason for them to not play by the rules.
Old January 7th, 2013, 09:06   #9
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Monday Morning Progress Report:

The vendors with the extension have completed all housekeeping ahead of schedule. Good work!

Last edited by nicklockard; January 7th, 2013 at 09:40. Reason: Deleted sentence fragment.
Old January 7th, 2013, 13:34   #10
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Monday noon report:

I've done my best to bump locked and deleted threads from the front page. So, basically we are viewing a totally fresh front page now.

If you've been waiting for the hubub to die down to consolidate and clean up your threads, now is a great time! This is how it's going to be.

For those who've worked with us, we'll reach out to you by PM's and grant you housekeeping time if we see more than one thread of yours reach the top page. Same for any of you who want to start now--start by reaching out to us. Make sure to CC me if you're working with Brian, so I know what's going on.
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:58   #11
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Tuesday report:

Looking good. Thank you for your quick attention with these thread cleanups. That's how it's done!
Old January 12th, 2013, 16:17   #12
Judson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

I hate to complain, this is a net negative for me, the consumer.

Separate threads from vendors are easy to search on for particular items. Multiple pages in a long thread means that for a particular item search returns just one thread, and one then has to click through each page to find the thing.

In addition, some vendors list so many things in one thread it gets really confusing. For example, for clarity's sake, when I send an email, it's one email for one subject. This is why it's best to one have thread for one category of product. For those vendors selling multiple different categories (turbos, or maps sensors, or intakes, or transmissions, and etc.) it doesn't make sense to have them all in one thread because again, the subject can't possibly be descriptive of the contents of the thread.

I realize this forum is a lot of work to manage, and a lot of thought has been put into this effort so far, but in my view, it would be much much better to allow vendors to have multiple threads.

IMHO, .02, and thanks again.

Jud
2001 Jetta TDI. Converted to manual, converted to black leather interior with red stiching, PP520s, rc3, franko6 cam, 11mm pump, VNT 17, PD150 intake, EGR/cooler delete, 2.5" Buzzken exhaust, G60/VR6 clutch, Eurojet intercooler, 3bar MAP, FIS Sport cluster, Seat Leon Cupra poly bushings, Koni Reds + stock springs, Kenwood head unit w/bluetooth, Longbeach wheels, Euro wooden three-spoke steering wheel.
Judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 17:00   #13
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Well that's good input. I will continue to work to find the right balance. What we had before was chaos that worked for the loudest and most obnoxious and no one else. So I think we should schedule a time to chat between vendors and moderators to see what we can come up with. I'm in a phone now...maybe by next Friday?
Old January 13th, 2013, 05:50   #14
Judson
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

First, thank you very much again for the hard work, and second, for being open to feedback.

My idea of allowing by-category threads unfortunately means that categories must be defined. This could get out of hand in a hurry if not careful. As you said, balance is key and as well, moderator's time is to be respected as it is given freely.

I would certainly be up for a concall.

Jud
2001 Jetta TDI. Converted to manual, converted to black leather interior with red stiching, PP520s, rc3, franko6 cam, 11mm pump, VNT 17, PD150 intake, EGR/cooler delete, 2.5" Buzzken exhaust, G60/VR6 clutch, Eurojet intercooler, 3bar MAP, FIS Sport cluster, Seat Leon Cupra poly bushings, Koni Reds + stock springs, Kenwood head unit w/bluetooth, Longbeach wheels, Euro wooden three-spoke steering wheel.
Judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 18:21   #15
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson View Post
First, thank you very much again for the hard work, and second, for being open to feedback.

My idea of allowing by-category threads unfortunately means that categories must be defined. This could get out of hand in a hurry if not careful. As you said, balance is key and as well, moderator's time is to be respected as it is given freely.

I would certainly be up for a concall.

Jud

After consulting with admin staff, we've decided to push this conference call or group chat to next week. I will update when I can propose specific time options.