www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old March 10th, 2011, 16:31   #61
larsbar
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf

Wow. So the shop screwed up, refuses to own their mistake, promises you a refund, doesn't give it, and threatens to withhold it if you tell anyone else about their mistake?
Even if they own up and pay for it now I would not trust someone like that.
larsbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 14:37   #62
ryanp

Post #11

Edited as the shop has started to make payments to put this right.

02M 6 Speed Conversions + Euro Parts - 6 Speed Setups for A4 + A5 platform,PD150 Intakes, TIP kits, Turbo's, Injectors as well as anything else!! PM Me! - Click HERE

Last edited by ryanp; May 19th, 2011 at 01:55.
ryanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 15:07   #63
NoJoke
Veteran Member

If I were to mediate this; I would put the offending shop on a monthly payment plan. If they reject or default, the customer needs to take them to small claims court for the provided parts and labor paid.

06 E320 CDI - RC
NoJoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2011, 15:08   #64
ryanp

Post #12

Edited as the shop has started to make payments to put this right.

02M 6 Speed Conversions + Euro Parts - 6 Speed Setups for A4 + A5 platform,PD150 Intakes, TIP kits, Turbo's, Injectors as well as anything else!! PM Me! - Click HERE

Last edited by ryanp; May 19th, 2011 at 01:55.
ryanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2011, 15:38   #65
foxracer1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Low34/Avg40/best54

Well done!
Vag-Com owner
foxracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2011, 15:41   #66
Milage King
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40 / 46

This is really a mis fortunate situation, but I think the rest of the community will thank you for knowing who did the butcher work and hopefully save some headaches for other fellow club members. Sorrry Ryan.
Old April 16th, 2011, 16:56   #67
AARodriguez Corp.
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
w/Business number

I would love to see this club put together a fund to pursue bad shops, and engine killers like Prothe, I would donate to that fund in a minute
Old April 16th, 2011, 17:06   #68
BleachedBora

Likewise, I get calls all the time from people that have thrown on Prothe/Rothenbacher engineering parts only to have them x-plode.

Good luck Ryan, sorry to hear that the troubles are ongoing.

-BB
BleachedBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2011, 17:12   #69
DSLFAN
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 01 Beetle

Too bad we can't do like in the 'ole days and have ourselves a little blanket party down in AZ - 8)
DSLFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2011, 17:19   #70
AARodriguez Corp.
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
w/Business number

edit, for now...

Last edited by AARodriguez Corp.; April 16th, 2011 at 18:47.
AARodriguez Corp. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2011, 18:29   #71
Derek@Exklusiv

Here's my side of the story - We installed 2 of these swaps on 2 of the same customers cars. The first one went fine with exception to a shift cable that arrived bent - likely due to the careless handling at customs. The parts were no longer palletized when arrived. The second one (one in question) was completed late in the evening on a Friday and I came in the following day to find the car on our lot and it seemed to be stuck in gear. Not uncommon for 02M's with broken shift fork. After much deliberation the customer and I decided to take the tranny to my tranny guy who split the case and just said this tranny is wrecked. I wasnt there, I didnt see it with my own eyes but he never mentioned it was dry which I would think he would just looking at these pictures. Ryan P just stepped up and sent out a replacement which we installed. It seems to me about 3 or 4 weeks later the customer stops in and shows me this thread of a tranny that is burned up and I'm led to beleive that it's the tranny that was sent back. I basically agree to pay for it to prevent some bullsh*t witch hunt thread like this. However the timing was bad as I had just been scammed for nearly $3000 dollars from a customer where I spent nearly 2 days installing an insane mount of OEM Euro parts on his Audi and paid for it with a stolen credit card. I spoke with Ryan last week and told him I was hoping to sell my personal car to cover the costs which hasnt happened. Since the original install I've sluffed off all the helpers I had and I'm back to a one man show doing some of the best work in Phoenix for TDI customers. I reluctantly take responsibility for this rare (1 and only) mistake and am willing to pay for it but you can't get blood from a rock. Most independent shops are running pretty lean these days and threads like this don't help.

If you want an accurate depiction of my shop, the work we do, and satisfaction of my customers all you have to do is search "Exklusiv" on this very website tdiclub.com

Last edited by Derek@Exklusiv; April 16th, 2011 at 18:38.
Derek@Exklusiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2011, 18:34   #72
Derek@Exklusiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
Hey its easy to get side tracked, I just try to make sure that

1) I check the level
2) I dont stop in the middle of checking it, either I start it/perform it/finish it, or I take the plug stick it in my pocket, that way the car is not getting off the lift without being done.
3) I check visual for 3 times to ensure parts got put back on..

Check, recheck, triple check..

Still some get through, but it does limit how many fall through the crack..
That's brilliant
Derek@Exklusiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2011, 18:37   #73
K5ING
Mega-Miler

Fuel Economy: 46 mixed/51 highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDJetta View Post
I always thought transaxles (and engines) void of lubricant should have a BIG dayglow tag afixed to them stating "This Unit Has No Oil and Must Be Filled With Proper Lubricant Before Use" (or similar wording). It should be common sense to check, but NEVER underestimate the power of human stupidity. You are better protected if you put such a tag on the unit, because if it comes back to you, you warned them and it is their fault.

I bought a used transaxle once and it had such a tag, but it was still full of lube! (I guess they forgot to drain it).

--Nate
Stupidity carelessness is everywhere, and I agree with having a warning label.

A number of years ago, when I busted my oil pan (no damage, it was shut down within 20 seconds) and had the car towed to the dealer, I made sure I taped a big piece of paper to the steering wheel that said "WARNING! NO OIL IN ENGINE! DO NOT START!!!!" on the assumption that they would just tell their lot boy to "bring that silver Golf into the garage", and he would try to just drive it in.

Props to Derek for admitting the mistake too. In this day and age, it's refreshing. However, you really need some insurance to pay for stuff like this when it happens.

Silver 2001 2 dr. Golf GL TDI 5-speed (original owner)
445,000+ miles and climbing!
SOLD 10/2017 to member alphaseinor. It's in good hands.
DFW TDI List

Last edited by K5ING; April 16th, 2011 at 18:46.
K5ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2011, 19:30   #74
AARodriguez Corp.
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek@Exklusiv View Post
I reluctantly take responsibility for this rare (1 and only) mistake and am willing to pay for it but you can't get blood from a rock. Most independent shops are running pretty lean these days and threads like this don't help.
If you want an accurate depiction of my shop, the work we do, and satisfaction of my customers all you have to do is search "Exklusiv" on this very website tdiclub.com

Quote:
but you can't get blood from a rock.
-Have you made any payments towards that $3k, even $100?
-What date this fiasco start?
-What date did you, Dereck, acknowledge responsibility?
-If you haven't been given a reasonable amount time make a payment, tell us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5ING View Post
Stupidity carelessness is everywhere, and I agree with having a warning label.
Yeah its a great idea a warning label, just like our coffee at McDonalds, we need a label telling us that our drink is hot, and could burn us. We are that dumb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5ING View Post
Props to Derek for admitting the mistake too. In this day and age, it's refreshing. However, you really need some insurance to pay for stuff like this when it happens.
I can find plenty of people willing to admit they made a mistake, finding the ones that are going to correct it is the hard part. I don't know a whole lot about liability insurance, but I'd be willing to take a guess that the deductable for a mechanic shop could be over $2500.

Last edited by AARodriguez Corp.; April 19th, 2011 at 19:33.
AARodriguez Corp. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2011, 19:38   #75
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: low 38, high 61, avg 48

Bottom line, you don't install a transmission of ANY kind without checking the fluid.. EVER.. You don't need a big yellow tag to tell you to check the fluid..