www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 21:35   #31
tothemax
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanp View Post

We are not naming and shaming the garage as we are giving them the opportunity to put things right (even though they stripped the box down and gave up half way through)..

Ry
Hey Ryan,

Can you tell us if the garage is state side or UK?
tothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 00:34   #32
ryanp

Edited as the shop has started to make payments to put this right.

02M 6 Speed Conversions + Euro Parts - 6 Speed Setups for A4 + A5 platform,PD150 Intakes, TIP kits, Turbo's, Injectors as well as anything else!! PM Me! - Click HERE

Last edited by ryanp; May 19th, 2011 at 00:52.
ryanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 04:54   #33
Scott_DeWitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitbread View Post
At bare minimum it needs all new bearings and syncros. Hopefully a brass brush will clean all the crap off the gears and they'll be ok. Whether that's cost effective or not, now that's a different story.
Looking at the gear teeth you will have to replace some gears, or they will be very loud.

I could use the cases, but that gearbox is toast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler View Post
so, that trans is garbage then? or can it be rebuilt?
It can be rebuilt however it's likely not cost effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDJetta View Post
I always thought transaxles (and engines) void of lubricant should have a BIG dayglow tag afixed to them stating "This Unit Has No Oil and Must Be Filled With Proper Lubricant Before Use" (or similar wording). It should be common sense to check, but NEVER underestimate the power of human stupidity. You are better protected if you put such a tag on the unit, because if it comes back to you, you warned them and it is their fault.

I bought a used transaxle once and it had such a tag, but it was still full of lube! (I guess they forgot to drain it).

--Nate
I ship a dozen gearboxes a month and all have a bright pink tag in big letter stating the trans is shipped dry. I even go as far as keeping the drain plug loose, and there are still 3-4 people a year that run my gearboxes with too little or no fluid. If you make something idiot proof there is always a better idiot that comes along.

Last edited by Scott_DeWitt; December 3rd, 2010 at 05:02.
Scott_DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 17:09   #34
DSLFAN
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 01 Beetle

Wow! Must've had a tweeker put that trans in! All used components we get are ALWAYS empty! Shipping companies won't even take stuff that has fluid in it, even local UPS.
DSLFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 18:23   #35
UFO
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Beetle
Fuel Economy: 50mpg on B100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
I would name the shop. It's asinine to assume that a shipped transmission has fluid in it.

The pics, let alone the odour, confirm that the transmission was run without oil.

The tech messes up and needs to man up for their mistake.
No two ways about it.

UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 18:41   #36
Mach1

Fuel Economy: 49.3, 48, 21.2,19.99

Anbody/anyshop, that installs/replaces a transmission...Absolutely knows to check the level..

Even if no fluid is spilled, disturbed, or changed...check the level.

Heck I check the transmission just for courteous jesture when their car is on the lift..

2006.5 DE DSG, RC2, Sunroof, Rear airbags, 73K miles, 61MPG best.
2005.5 Jetta-5 SP, LSD, Spec S2, 110K, 48 mpg every tank. Best-49.3 mpg-LOCAL. ELF 506 0-30W/15K OCI/37PPM FE, Best=740 MPT, RSB Diesel custom 2.5DP/3" SS exhaust, Synthetic fuel, Koni lowering springs. One of the first Mark V Jettas to hit the street. Pkg 1, MFD, Autowipe, Auto-headlights, Auto-dim mirror, auto-climate. 248C=150HP RC2
2004 6L 89000 19MPG
2000 7.3 388 HP-818 FT lbs Propane
Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 19:32   #37
Reddok
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jetta: 40.8 avg, 47.1 best. Jeep: 30 avg.

I wonder how often stuff like this happens. Thats how I got my project Jeep for such a good price. The previous owner had assumed the transmission was shot because the Jeep wouldn't move. I pulled the trans and transfer case and found the transfer case (with wrecker pen markings on it) was completely dry. Should have taken some pictures. The planetary gearset looked much the same as the picture above. I'm sure it smelled the same too...
2002 Jeep Liberty TDI Project: 2002 ALH, 1749VA, NSG-370 6-spd, PP764's on T4's, 11mm pump, PD150 intake, custom tune, Cummins lift pump, 2.8 CRD intercooler, 2.5" DP/exhaust with Magnaflow cat and Walker Quietflow muffler.
Reddok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 21:52   #38
Whitbread

TDI(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
Anbody/anyshop, that installs/replaces a transmission...Absolutely knows to check the level..

Even if no fluid is spilled, disturbed, or changed...check the level.

Heck I check the transmission just for courteous jesture when their car is on the lift..
You would think so. I was told this shop is even on the "trusted tdi shops" list.

I don't know the name of it though so I can't comment there, I'm curious myself.
Whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 05:47   #39
ChippedNotBroken
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50,45

I'm sure we've all made boneheaded mistakes.

I've found that it's not the mistake, but the response to the mistake that's important.

Of course that presupposes a level of competence that would suggest a lapse like this is just that, and not another in a long line of incompetent acts.
Quote:
Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it. TJ
ChippedNotBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 08:17   #40
ryanp

Post #7

Edited as the shop has started to make payments to put this right.

02M 6 Speed Conversions + Euro Parts - 6 Speed Setups for A4 + A5 platform,PD150 Intakes, TIP kits, Turbo's, Injectors as well as anything else!! PM Me! - Click HERE

Last edited by ryanp; May 19th, 2011 at 00:52.
ryanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 12:35   #41
Whitbread

TDI(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChippedNotBroken View Post

I've found that it's not the mistake, but the response to the mistake that's important.
Very true. We've all left a bolt or two loose before (I'm guilty) when in a hurry, interrupted, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanp View Post
It could have been one of those things. The apprentice forgetting or if they got interrupted half way through, who knows.

Nobody needs to know which shop this is as long as they make all this right (which we are getting somewhere).

Ry
Even when they make it right, its still sad to see a rare trans destroyed .
Whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 16:11   #42
DSLFAN
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 01 Beetle

So true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChippedNotBroken View Post

Of course that presupposes a level of competence that would suggest a lapse like this is just that, and not another in a long line of incompetent acts.
DSLFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 00:58   #43
Mach1

Fuel Economy: 49.3, 48, 21.2,19.99

Hey its easy to get side tracked, I just try to make sure that

1) I check the level
2) I dont stop in the middle of checking it, either I start it/perform it/finish it, or I take the plug stick it in my pocket, that way the car is not getting off the lift without being done.
3) I check visual for 3 times to ensure parts got put back on..

Check, recheck, triple check..

Still some get through, but it does limit how many fall through the crack..

2006.5 DE DSG, RC2, Sunroof, Rear airbags, 73K miles, 61MPG best.
2005.5 Jetta-5 SP, LSD, Spec S2, 110K, 48 mpg every tank. Best-49.3 mpg-LOCAL. ELF 506 0-30W/15K OCI/37PPM FE, Best=740 MPT, RSB Diesel custom 2.5DP/3" SS exhaust, Synthetic fuel, Koni lowering springs. One of the first Mark V Jettas to hit the street. Pkg 1, MFD, Autowipe, Auto-headlights, Auto-dim mirror, auto-climate. 248C=150HP RC2
2004 6L 89000 19MPG
2000 7.3 388 HP-818 FT lbs Propane
Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 03:37   #44
ChippedNotBroken
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50,45

Back in the 80's I was going to go on a ski trip and figured it would be a good time to change my oil the night before.

I always used to rub some motor oil on the gasket for a better seal before re-installing the gasket and putting it on the car (filter was under the car).

The next morning we hopped in the car (5AM) and headed on our way. Couldn't have been 2 minutes down the road and the oil light came on. Two hours, 5 quarts and another oil filter later we were on our way. Can't say how it happened, but I put the filter on without the gasket. My daughter calls them brainfarts.
Quote:
Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it. TJ
ChippedNotBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 06:38   #45
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: low 38, high 61, avg 48

Yeah I think we all do it from time to time.. I've gotten sidetracked doing oil changes in the past and noticed the lack of a rain plug while filling the oil. "Why the F is it all on the floor? Oh... Probably because the drain plug is over there..." Things like that usually only happen once, like the extra oil filter gasket that stayed up there when you pulled off the old filter.. That doesn't last long at all..

The worst thing on my part is forgetting to put engine covers back on.. I do it at least once a week.. Most of my customers don't have them on anyway, so I forget and a day or 2 later I see an engine cover laying in the shop and wonder who's it is.. Usually that coincides with a phone call inquiring about a missing engine cover..