www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old November 4th, 2010, 07:46   #1
doktorec
Veteran Member
Default The most powerful 2.5tdi V6

I'm seaching for the most powerful and tuned 2.5 tdi v6 engine.I searched the forum and the most powerful is 266hp 600nm.
doktorec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 08:47   #2
diffas
Veteran Member

There aren't many here
diffas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 10:06   #3
Pieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffas View Post
There aren't many here
Why not??

Last edited by Pieman; November 4th, 2010 at 10:08. Reason: Adding quote
Pieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 13:00   #4
diffas
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieman View Post
Why not??
They are pretty rare compared to the 1.9tdi and therefore not that much knowledge about tuning up. Also 2.5tdis are pretty expensive to to keep and maintance again compared to 1.9tdis. In US those eninges were never available.
Old November 4th, 2010, 14:10   #5
cog
Veteran Member

i think steve (mojogoes) had a 2.5 tdi audi he was never very complimentary about it to say the least. they are very expensive to get good power, id say stick with a tune . if you want more get a 3.0 tdi stock 240hp.
Formerly GT-TDI 110 AHF VNT 17VB[/B],@24psi ,,R520s,ported head,11mm pump,arp,headstuds,eurojet smic,id parts upgraded pipes,SBC[B] stage 3, pd150 manifold, custom silicone t.i.p 2.5"downpipe and cat delete,racepipe,,pd lift pump
cog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 15:34   #6
doktorec
Veteran Member

i have AFB and I am wondering what can I sqeez from it.... i read about 1.9 twin turbo but nothing about 2.5 twin.Why people want to tune the smaller engine.??
doktorec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 15:41   #7
mojogoes
Veteran Member

TDI(s): mk3 tdi golf
Fuel Economy: not much

Yeah just stick to a first stage tune with a reputable company like AMD and others
Hey Cog in the future you could go for the bmw 123d twin turbo 2.0L with 204hp 255hp with a remap

Last edited by mojogoes; November 4th, 2010 at 15:47.
mojogoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 09:49   #8
adamss24
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35-45mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by doktorec View Post
i have AFB and I am wondering what can I sqeez from it.... i read about 1.9 twin turbo but nothing about 2.5 twin.Why people want to tune the smaller engine.??
There was a twin turbo 2.5 tdi in slovakia some time ago- i think it was a profituning creation- with opel turbochargers, about 400 Bhp race tune (300-350Bhp reliable). I had one with a 3L block,psi tuning chip and a hybrid turbo a few years ago- 254bhp (i still have the engine in a FWD a6 saloon allthough detuned: stock 180Bhp turbo and no chip or injectors-still spinns the wheels in 3rd gear !), i am driving now a mildly tuned a4 quattro with a 180Bhp AKE engine,rs4 rear diff,ATE 4 pots brakes/rs4 rear brakes, iveco nozzles and a PSI chip, about 220-240 Bhp. Working to fit a KKK turbo off the 3L tdi engine and looking for Bosio race 683 nozzles as well ! I also have a a6 tdi quattro on wich i have rebuilt the engine twice (first due to worn cams, 2nd time due to cheappo Dayco cambelt snapping and wrecking the engine). Now the AKE is boasting mildly polished Brand New heads, thicker 3 notches head gaskets, Steinbauer P-Box, the injector pump has been rebuilt and i am fitting a GT2559v off a renault 3L dci. This is me tow car and is regularly towing a 3.5 T car trailer. The a4 dances circles round the a6 though as its 200Kg lighter. The thing is the v6 tdi isnt that loved in uk (grease monkeys find it difficult to work on ?!) and there isnt much stuff of the shelf. Most tunners say the injector pump is the limiting factor on the v6- i beg to differ- there are cummins trucks who run modded VP44 pumps wich can supply fuel up to 1000Bhp. Also i know that the same pump has been used on Jcb and MAN trucks (allthough they have a 24v ECU) so these should supply decent fuel to a hungry 6L v6/v8 engine ! The 24v are also rarely failing unlike the 12v Bosch computers ! There are no aftermarket cams for it and the audi heads are overengineered so there isn't much to improve on. The only thing i would upgrade is the inlet manifold but isnt easy to do as the injectors hard lines are running over it. Fit a bigger FMIC and you will be good to go !
adamss24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 10:27   #9
diffas
Veteran Member

Heads are the worst engineering on these engines imho. Intake ports are pretty much just above ****. Too much swirling that stops the airflow into the engine. I'm currently working with the new heads to my AKN...there're some pictures here: http://evvk.1g.fi/kuvat/Diudi/kansiremppa/ With little basic porting those heads will flow even the valves are small size! Stock ones are pretty much maxed out around 280-300hp.

I'm currently having problems to get some power out due missing compression about 8bars. But still it produces atm 165kw/460nm.

current dyno
current run

Last edited by diffas; November 5th, 2010 at 10:32.
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:44   #10
adamss24
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35-45mpg

Heads are overengineered in such a way that there isnt much to improve on, they have been designed for a purpose and for the 200BHP or so they flow pretty well. They could have left much more meat or design the intake a bit larger but- on a turbocharged engine- its easier to turn up the boost. What i have noticed, the AKE runs much hotter than the older AKN/AFB engines and thats detrimental to any performance. Do not forget that the v6 tdi had a high output from a smallish displacement wich kept-up with the oposition (bmw barely mustered 184Bhp out of a 3 L CR and lets not mention the mercedes) pretty well. The same can be said about the pd engine, it kept up long enough with the competition so they were the last to switch to CR... Some said that the 2.5 inline 5 was the best engine VAG came up with and the v6 was developed (to replace the dated AEL engine) as a more compact engine with bags of torque ! They had the 3.3 L tdi CR in the audi a8 since 98 but the market wasnt ready for big economical diesel engines in such up-market models (the 3.3 D was the flagship engine in the all alloy audi a8 limousine )...
adamss24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 12:09   #11
CERBER
Banned

TDI(s): AAZ

there is a engines which is inappropriate for tuning, 2.5 V6 is the best example of it.
CERBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 12:42   #12
im570rm
Veteran Member

i like it...ake with 2260vk and race 683 works really well...don't know how many hp but it's pretty fast way faster then a a4 3.0 tdi not tuned.
Wierd thing is that somebody said to me that race 683 nozzles works only on 150hp injectors...i made them work on ake injectors but the opening pressure was a little high 280 bars.
im570rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 13:03   #13
mk3pd

The 2.5 V6 is a disaster in my opinion
mk3pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 13:44   #14
CERBER
Banned

TDI(s): AAZ

This engine needs a big turbo ........may be Gt2260VK or even more...
CERBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 14:19   #15
diffas
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamss24 View Post
Heads are overengineered in such a way that there isnt much to improve on, ...
That's incorrect. With little time on porting desk and flowdesk we improved about 20% flowing with stock valve lift. And now we have heads that flow 40hp more than the stock ones as measured in naturally aspired.
Now the result is that we can take advance of more boost.