www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:20   #61
jcilforever
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudspl View Post
I think Injen's testing would have been better suited on TDIs with significant mods.

Like Charlie said, there is potentially more to be gained on a highly modded setup vs. something that is close to OEM output..

As far as the hydrolock potential goes, there are several manufacturers that make a water resistant/breathable "sock" to go over the cone...although that might reduce max CFM who knows..
This was fitted with hydrolock sock but can not guarantee water enterance. First the product should be able to show benefit on a stock model as is all of their products. Showing it on modded car would not help as mods vary dramatically.
jcilforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:22   #62
jcilforever
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Fout View Post
JCL,

Peak HP went down, but was the powerband wider? [more HP earlier and/or later]
No power band was not made larger to make a difference and sometimes was less than OEM.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 21:14   #63
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcilforever View Post
No power band was not made larger to make a difference and sometimes was less than OEM.
This is interesting! Can you post your recent dyno plots?
Old September 3rd, 2013, 21:40   #64
jcilforever
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Fout View Post
This is interesting! Can you post your recent dyno plots?
on back burner trying to deal with shock problem
Old September 16th, 2013, 21:16   #65
Jethro Bodine

Fuel Economy: 47-51 - Jetta

I know they weren't TDI's but I put 200K on a 360 with a K&N and it looked great when I took it down at 158K to put in a stroker crank. I've got 47K on my ZRX1100 and it's been running a K&N and jetkit since I got it. Not saying they can't cause problems since apparently they did with these cars, but there's nothing wrong with a stock replacement K&N in most cars and yes they can help with power. I've seen it at the dragstrip and with the butt dyno to know.
Jethro Bodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 21:43   #66
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

K&N is not always bad. Some of what they sell is actually pretty good. The biggest problem with TDIs (and their MAF sensors) is oiled filters and over oiled filters. It is the oil that is the worst part.

The other issue (with all brands of "high flow" filters) is in how they achieve that "high flow". In many cases, they flow more air because they filter it less. There is no "magic" in filter design, it is relatively simple physics. There are really only 2 ways to increase flow rate.
1) more filter surface area
2) bigger "holes" in the filter medium (IOW: less filtration)

It would be difficult to find a filter with more surface area than the stock one. Therefore #2 is the most common solution. Our turbo chargers are more than capable of providing all the air our engines need, unless you have done some very serious modifications (like bigger turbo, etc.).

Have Fun!

Don
Dieselgeek Shortshifter & Panzer Plate (my favorite & my smartest mods)
2MicronTech Pure Flow and Contain Flow CR fuel system modifications
JSWTDI09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 12:57   #67
bassman5066
Veteran Member

Not sure if this has been covered, but what are everyone's thoughts on the foam filter elements rather than paper or other synthetics?

These filters are "dry" (I.E no oil) and are claimed to flow just as well as any other aftermarket filter, but with much better filtration qualities. And they're washable with soap and water.

I know there's no tangible benefit to installing one of these filters, but I am simply asking for a comparison of one aftermarket type to another, because as far as I've heard, these are the best things in the aftermarket world as far as filters go.

This is one brand. There's a few others out there as well.
bassman5066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 20:06   #68
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

I'd say "show me the data" that it filters better and offers less pressure drop for the same flow rate as the paper one. Until then, it's just marketing BS in my opinion...
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 20:25   #69
A5INKY

Fuel Economy: pretty good

Foam air filters have their place. In a very dusty, dirty application such as the dirt bikes I spent years racing they were the only way to go - oiled multidensity layered foam. No thin pleated filter of any kind could even come close to the volume of dirt foam could hold while still allowing the engine to breathe. Without the oil I have a hard time seeing how they could filter as well as the synthetic media pleated filters. No only would need to see flow data but also filtration efficiency. Dry foam surely would flow quite well. Can't imagine filtration being on par w/o the oil or a layer of similar media to the pleated type. If that was the strategy it would clog fast without the surface area pleated designs have.

In other words, foam sounds good for true off road, but how many TDIs are used in that environment?

A5INKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2013, 23:20   #70
Lensdude_com
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 mpg average (Imperial)

I had searched and read opinions on the AEM dryflow panel filter and decided it was worth the $40 and installed it yesterday in my '05 Jetta BEW so I'll check it in 6 months and report back
Lensdude_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2013, 11:29   #71
jcilforever
Veteran Member

Default Not a CAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensdude_com View Post
I had searched and read opinions on the AEM dryflow panel filter and decided it was worth the $40 and installed it yesterday in my '05 Jetta BEW so I'll check it in 6 months and report back
All it is as I own 2 of them and clean them every 30K with soap and water over night and do not have to shell out $24+ for paper filters each time the filter needs changing. Same with the CAT 2micron fuel filter I know I paid up front but I get an extra 20K out of each filter plus they are $17 a piece.
Old October 20th, 2013, 15:37   #72
Lensdude_com
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 mpg average (Imperial)

There's an environmental aspect to re-usable parts that shouldn't be overlooked. One less tree cut to make a paper filter and one less paper filter in the landfill.
Lensdude_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2013, 16:48   #73
Jayg
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman5066 View Post
Not sure if this has been covered, but what are everyone's thoughts on the foam filter elements rather than paper or other synthetics?

These filters are "dry" (I.E no oil) and are claimed to flow just as well as any other aftermarket filter, but with much better filtration qualities. And they're washable with soap and water.

I know there's no tangible benefit to installing one of these filters, but I am simply asking for a comparison of one aftermarket type to another, because as far as I've heard, these are the best things in the aftermarket world as far as filters go.

This is one brand. There's a few others out there as well.
My experience with the foam filters is HKS was fine but Greddy one started to crumble and almost dry rot after a year or so. Bits and pieces of the filter element would come off and on the twin turbo RX7 it was on, i didn't take any chances. I replaced it when a PFS intake that used oil filters (fine on a 13b).
Jayg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 08:55   #74
jcilforever
Veteran Member

the 2 I have are from AFE

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...9L&&brandID=59

http://afepower.com/technology_detail.php?tech_id=8
Old October 21st, 2013, 14:00   #75
brew1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: TDI 38-42 mpg, drive it like you stole it.
Thumbs up AFE Pro Dry

AFE Pro Dry, last air filter you will ever need to purchase Use them in my VW 1.9 TDI, Jeep GC 3.0 CRD and Audi 3.0.
16 Audi A3 S-Line Quattro
brew1 is offline   Reply With Quote