www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old August 31st, 2010, 16:02   #31
blackened

Ok. I guess based on previous experience with ram air set up from gm such as the ws6 trans am with a ram air hood feeding into the ram air box. I know that traditional ram air doesn't do anything special until highway speeds, with its benefit directly related to vehicle speed. Seeing as how tdi's are popular with people driving many highway miles it seemed like a reasonable intake solution. Would the intercooler negate the positive affects of a "ram air" style set up?
blackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 16:25   #32
Ben Dur
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackened View Post
Ok. I guess based on previous experience with ram air set up from gm such as the ws6 trans am with a ram air hood feeding into the ram air box. I know that traditional ram air doesn't do anything special until highway speeds, with its benefit directly related to vehicle speed. Seeing as how tdi's are popular with people driving many highway miles it seemed like a reasonable intake solution. Would the intercooler negate the positive affects of a "ram air" style set up?
a turbo negates it almost entirely

that being said, vw's setup is essentially a ram...
not the most efficient one ive seen, but still
Ben Dur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 17:26   #33
ChippedNotBroken
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50,45

Took a while but I found the post that I referenced earlier ...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...73&postcount=9
Quote:
Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it. TJ
ChippedNotBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 06:17   #34
T_D_I_POWER
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dur
today the skis cleared up just enough for me to pull my little green TDI up to the garage to swap my crap cone filter with my stock air box......

finally i installed the stock air box

By leaving big opening as shown, the engine will breathe warm-hot air generated from the surrounding engine compartment.

The solutions are:
-Close the opening
-Close off the surrounding AFB area to block warm-hot air
-Route a round duct which directs cold air to the opening

1st TO USE Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...56&postcount=9
1st TO PREFILL OFH/OFI INSTL W/ OIL IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...02&postcount=5
1st TO PREFIL FF W/ DIESEL FUEL IN THE CLUB http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=14

Last edited by T_D_I_POWER; September 11th, 2010 at 06:39.
T_D_I_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 14:54   #35
Jtroy

TDI(s): 1998 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivbiwire View Post

That's the dirt let thru after just 501 miles of driving on a NEW FACTORY OILED K&N
For a more fair and complete comparison from "Bob Is the Oil Guy" site see the following link:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm.

Why not let the members read Bob's actual report and make their own decisions? Though Bob's tests show that filters can differ in their ability to stop particles, it's not as extreme as comparing a completely clean after-filter patch to an unused filter patch.

I've been researching to determine if I should purchase a K&N filter (for my gas-drinker, not my TDI) and, after reading Bob's original article and looking at his photos, I found this particular photo to be misleading.

Last edited by Jtroy; September 13th, 2010 at 07:41.
Jtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 15:51   #36
Plus 3 Golfer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtroy View Post
For a more fair and complete comparison from "Bob Is the Oil Guy" site see the following link:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm.

Why not let the members read Bob's actual report and make their own decisions? Though Bob's tests show that filters can differ in their ability to stop particles, it's not as extreme as comparing a completely clean after-filter patch to an unused filter patch.

I've been researching to determine if I should purchase a K&N filter and, after reading Bob's original article and looking at his photos, I found this particular photo to be misleading.
Actually, why not read this report which does a little more than capture dirt on some gauze.
Plus 3 Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 19:15   #37
ChippedNotBroken
Veteran Member

For those interested:

http://www.finditparts.com/products/donaldson-d080020

Like OCtdi, putting the battery (Optima yellowtop D31a) in the trunk to make room
Quote:
Old September 14th, 2010, 21:48   #38
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

Fuel Economy: Who cares, it's a diesel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChippedNotBroken View Post
For those interested:

http://www.finditparts.com/products/donaldson-d080020

Like OCtdi, putting the battery (Optima yellowtop D31a) in the trunk to make room
Look at the specs, the TDI filter has lower restriction at 300 CFM than the Donaldson at 176 cfm....Not sure if thats an upgrade.
Drivbiwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 18:11   #39
ChippedNotBroken
Veteran Member

Quote:
Look at the specs, the TDI filter has lower restriction at 300 CFM than the Donaldson at 176 cfm....Not sure if thats an upgrade.
My understanding is that the filter is designed for moderate dusty driving and that removing the dust collector (a major restriction at the entrance to the filter) you will no longer be at 176 cfm. If you look at the consctruction of the filter it can absorb a lot of junk before you see any restriction from a dirty filter.
Quote:
Old October 3rd, 2010, 07:24   #40
Gil
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38 and 38 :o(

Too bad this thread doesn't deal with the PDs system which is quite different.

The air box has 2 chambers.
The bypass valve is located on the engine side of the air box drawing hot clean air into the air cleaners smaller chamber.
The PD has no snow screen (a few may have one).
The filter element has the now popular winter filter acting as a snow screen.

The main difference in the systems is the bypass valve. The PDs main chamber may plug up and then air is sucked into the smaller chamber. This is a better design than earlier TDIs IMHO.
Old November 21st, 2010, 06:25   #41
Gil
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38 and 38 :o(

The only problem that I have with the newer design is that the engine will only draw air through one side of the air filter element.
Now IF the main side of the filter gets restricted, that means that the bypass valve may open and let hot air into the system defeating the cold air intake from the front of the car.

I have modified my 04s airbox by punching a few large holes in the divider making full use of the element ( did this a number of years ago ). Then a few weeks ago I got the idea to plug that bypass valve to make sure that no hot air will ever find its way into the engine. Now the system is about the same as my 02 TDI.

After this new change the car seems to be quicker and run better under all driving conditions.
Old November 21st, 2010, 06:37   #42
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

Fuel Economy: Who cares, it's a diesel!

I have been installing CAT restriction meters on all my customers cars, the new generation air box with dual chambers pulls about 7" WC at full power, the limit is 25"WC at full power. I am sure that you can still get 80,000 miles or four years from the new style elements and boxes from the accrual of restriction I have seen.

Last edited by Drivbiwire; November 21st, 2010 at 06:39.
Drivbiwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 07:39   #43
ChippedNotBroken
Veteran Member

Quote:
While pulling about 40# of boost at 5000 RPM the vacuum gauge on my air filter did not budge. I took a video while it was on the rollers, I will try to figure out how to post it when I have time after my dad goes back to florida.
Quote:
Old December 24th, 2010, 15:31   #44
emantman

Fuel Economy: ~43 hwy ~38 cty
Default 2009 TDI Sedan at Altitude

I was posting on another thread, but this seems like a more appropriate place.

I have a 2009 Jetta TDI Sedan in Colorado. I live at ~6000ft altitude. I have been told (and I absolutely believe) that engines (diesel, gas,etc..) lose ~10% power for every 4000ft of altitude. This is because the air is much less dense, and there's much less oxygen. That means I'm running at ~86% actual power than the engine should actually be producing.

I drove my TDI to La Bufadora, near Ensenada in Baja Mexico for the whole week of labor day 2009, and I know my TDI had WAY more power at sea level. I come back to Colorado and it's just not as powerful.

I want to install the new AFE power air intake system (one of the first aftermarket products for the 2009 TDI) to increase the air flow (which supposedly increases horsepower, etc...), but another post (by a veteran tdiclub member) recommended that:

"Don't do it. The factory intake already draws cold air, flows more than adequately, and will actually do more harm than good in the long run."

So I want to know how it would hurt my car if I increase the air flow (and hence oxygen) when I'm always at a high altitude (99.9% of the time)?

Please any suggestions, comments, thoughts, etc... would be much appreciated! I love my TDI!
emantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 17:21   #45
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

The aftermarket air intake system will make 0 difference to your car. Zip, zero, zilch.

The stock air intake is already a low-restriction cold-air intake. Open the hood ... see that little grid of openings in the plastic next to the latch? That's the engine air intake. It leads to a large-diameter duct into the air filter housing, and that leads to a generously-sized duct to the turbo inlet which is about as straight as they can make it. You can't eliminate restriction that is not there to begin with. You can't lower the temperature below the temperature of the air coming in the front of the car. The engine doesn't care whether the intake ducts are the original parts, or have a fancy brand name on them. A lot of those aftermarket air intakes use aftermarket-style air filters, which in many cases don't filter as well as stock-style air filters. All of this, and considerable other supporting information, has already been posted or linked to in this thread.

Leave well enough alone.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote