www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2009

TDIFest 2009 Discussion about TDIFest 2009 coming to Washington, DC (Dulles)on the Labour Day weekend (September 4-6th, 2009) .

Old September 12th, 2009, 19:11   #31
Torque_Delight
TDIClub Enthusiast
Modded

Fuel Economy: ~5 l/100km

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth TDI
I can't go with "how many numbers are showing" on the odometer. Mine reset to zero at 300,000 miles. I'm >< close to finally getting the "1" in the 10,000 column filled (I have 309,770 miles). But a high mileage contest is cool. I doubt I'd ever win it, though. There are a lot of TDIs driven more than mine!
False... You loose the "Total" when you pass the 299 999 point the first time
Jetta TDI 2001 GL (~650 000 km) : GT-1749VB, EGT/O2/Boost Gauges, Scangauge II, Sachs VR6 Clutch kit, OEM G60 Flywheel, 502 Nozzles, MRTuning, Euroswitch, Hella Micro-DE w/ yellow bulb, Rear fog, Wolfsburg's Heated Seats, Koni STR.T Shocks, H&R OE Sport Springs, TT Control Arm Bushings, 17" Santa Monica (GTI VR6) Wheels, DieselGeek Skid Plate, FX35 HID Projectors Retrofit, GLI Tail Lights, 2004 Trunk lid.
Torque_Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 21:15   #32
vwmikel

I think you guys should try to stick to more central locations. DC isn't exactly convenient for most of us. It might also be nice to have it someplace where there are other things to do which make a long trip more worthwhile.

vwmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 22:11   #33
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0

I've thought about the TDI Fest somewhere in the mid-west or even west coast but I'm not sure it would work out as well. We're missing the concentration of bigger cities like the east coast. I don't think we could get the turnout. I guess we'll just have to live with our annual west coast GTG's.

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.
Farfromovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 22:29   #34
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

And a central location would be what, exactly? Center of the country where its far from the large density of TDIs? Or center of the TDI population where it's far for a few but close to many?

It hops around. The best thing that the west coast can do to get a Fest closer to them is to offer up the time to plan it, and come up with a proposal. I would personally like to see a Colorado Fest at some point in the future. New Orleans or Savannah, Georgia would be neat, too... just to have an excuse to see more areas of the country that I haven't been to yet.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; September 12th, 2009 at 22:32.
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 22:31   #35
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Also, while DC wasn't convenient for quite a few of you, it was the Fest with the highest attendance.

Old September 12th, 2009, 23:36   #36
vwmikel

I agree, there's nothing in the midwest. I'm not too happy about the idea of meeting up in a corn field. Maybe you're right about just letting it jump around, but at least the last couple of years it has been in some odd places. I suppose DC is somewhat central to the east coast. Just remember that there's a bunch of us out here on the left coast too.

vwmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 05:29   #37
canast
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

Would love to attend a fest out West, but the only way that will ever happen is for a group of people out west to get together, form a group, submit a proposal to Fred and if selected work for almost a year to make it happen. Get going you only have about a month or two to get that proposal together.
Old September 13th, 2009, 06:14   #38
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmikel
Maybe you're right about just letting it jump around, but at least the last couple of years it has been in some odd places.
Because those have been where the "odd" people are. Odd in that they put up a proposal. Even more "odd" in that the proposal was usually the ONLY proposal that year. When there is but one group willing to commit to putting on the event the selection is somewhat limited to take-it-or-leave-it.

If any Fred's members want the next fest in their region, start now to put together a proposal for how you'd do your version.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 10:11   #39
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmikel
I agree, there's nothing in the midwest. I'm not too happy about the idea of meeting up in a corn field. ...
Why do so many people NOT from the 'midwest' insist all there is here is farmland???? You know where the BIGGEST cattle farm in the USA is? Hawaii!

That said, I DO live across the road from a corn field. But I live quite a ways from the city areas, where there are no farms of any kind anywhere. There was little to 'see' around this year's fest either, unless you consider acres of unoccupied condos and faceless office buildings something to see. Every major city center has something touristy to do, if that is what you are after. For me, it is all about the cars, which can be enjoyed anywhere the weather is cooperative.

I do not feel the TDI fest need be tied to something other than the cars...if you want to see other things, there are other weekends to do so.
Old September 13th, 2009, 10:56   #40
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Location selection is a bit of an art. You have to pick a location that suits your needs, without too much hustle from a major downtown area. At the same time, you need to have local attractions for the wives and kids to visit, in addition to the club members who want to explore a place that they may not have had the chance to visit before.

TDIFest is not "all about the cars." It's about meeting new people, seeing new places, doing things that you might not have done otherwise, and (most importantly), learning about the cars and having TDI-related activities. With that being said, it seems that the suburbs of a major city seems to work the best for our needs as a club. These areas offer hotels with large meeting spaces (a requirement), parking facilities, and lots of attractions in the vicinity. At the same time, you can enjoy a more relaxed environment than you would if you were actually in the major city (traffic, people, the grind of daily life, etc).

With all of that being said, there was plenty of stuff to see around this year's Fest if you drove more than a mile down the road. The area offered some of the best museums in the country, national monuments, historic sites, great drives, shopping, and plenty of other things that quite a few people opted to take advantage of (either during parts of the weekend, or by arriving early and/or staying late). All-in-all, there was a well-rounded assortment of activities to do, both Fest and non-Fest related... which I personally think help attribute to our overall attendance.

My $0.02 regarding location selection. It's a fine balance between the focus on TDIs and keeping everyone (including families) entertained.

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; September 13th, 2009 at 11:01.
Old September 13th, 2009, 12:13   #41
paramedick
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor

Nothing wrong with the Midwest. I'm looking now for future location.

Can you say Lew Uh Vull? I thought you could.......
paramedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 13:04   #42
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI
And a central location would be what, exactly? Center of the country where its far from the large density of TDIs? Or center of the TDI population where it's far for a few but close to many?

It hops around. The best thing that the west coast can do to get a Fest closer to them is to offer up the time to plan it, and come up with a proposal. I would personally like to see a Colorado Fest at some point in the future. New Orleans or Savannah, Georgia would be neat, too... just to have an excuse to see more areas of the country that I haven't been to yet.
I would love a Denver Fest. All the mountains would make some great drives to it for sure. I'd also like a San Fran area fest. Plenty of stuff to see and do there.

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.
Farfromovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 13:08   #43
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

I'm kicking around some ideas right now. The long and the short of it is that I had a great time planning 2009, and I'm considering a proposal for 2010 (not in DC), and also looking toward the future. Chad (airwolf) and I are talking about a lot of things right now... we'll let you all know what's up (from our end of things) when we make some decisions and run them by Fred.

Old September 13th, 2009, 15:29   #44
jaydogg007
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 09 Jetta TDI

Too bad VW won't be done with their new plant in Tennessee by next TDIFest.

And if you want to apply for employment... http://vwjobschattanooga.com/
(RC3! also by BARTuning )
jaydogg007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 17:27   #45
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

How about Westmoreland, Pa as a fest site?
Or that show-case factory where the Phaetons were built?
Or the factory where the ignition coil packs were manufactured?
Or the BHW balance shaft machine shop?
Or the relay 109 solder assembly line?
Or the B4 ignition switch test station?

These were underutilized in their hey-day and are probably abandoned now. If you wish to reminisce about the good old days, while surrounded by VW fail, any of those venues should do.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote