www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2009

TDIFest 2009 Discussion about TDIFest 2009 coming to Washington, DC (Dulles)on the Labour Day weekend (September 4-6th, 2009) .

Old June 8th, 2009, 11:10   #31
Birdman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 summer 50 winter

Don't forget the Antietam National Battlefield. bloodiest day of the war is only 60 miles from IAD and the Hotel . Taking the Back roads there are a lot of battlefields for those that are into the war. real big around here.
2003 Jetta 216 injectors, race pipe, OMI, 2.5 cat back pipe, Sachs power clutch,Lightweight fly wheel,Rocketchip 3.0,Dieselgeek race pipe,Borla SS exhaust,Dieselgeek Intercooler pipes,Pierburg MAF,EU cluster with LED Boost gauge,,
Ventectomy,Alientech window,Old Navy ccv filter,Catch can,Dieselgeek short shifter,ATE power slot rotors,Porterfield pads,Shine suspension,Shine rear sway bar,TT pedals & foot rest,Cat fuel filter 2 micron,Alum skid plate,Euro headlights and switch,5 Brake light mod.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 06:35   #32
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Go see the Udvar Hazy Center. Its the main part of the Smthsonian Air & Space Museum and its about 5 miles from the Hyatt Dulles. You will not be disappointed if you like airplanes and spacecraft.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/UdvarHazy/

That's the Enola Gay. It's there.

And the Space Shuttle Enterprise is there too.

--Nate

Last edited by PDJetta; June 16th, 2009 at 06:41.
PDJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 13:01   #33
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

I don't think the space shuttle is the real one... but rather a working model of it. Either way, it's wicked cool. A definite MUST SEE while you're in the area.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 18:05   #34
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI
I don't think the space shuttle is the real one... but rather a working model of it. Either way, it's wicked cool. A definite MUST SEE while you're in the area.
If memory serves me the Enterprise was the 1st shuttle built but did not have real engines and other things in it. They used it for aerodynamic testing on the 747 and other functions like that.

Still, it would be cool to see.
Old June 16th, 2009, 19:02   #35
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

It is very cool.

Old July 12th, 2009, 06:58   #36
canast
Veteran Member

Looking for recomendations for a great place to have a Crab dinner. Several years ago the wife and I tried a place in the Arlington area, it was nice but thought that someplace near the water, for a view, would be nice.
Old July 12th, 2009, 07:47   #37
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

I'd recommend something on the Georgetown waterfront. It's expensive, but definitely a nice time. Check out Tony & Joe's at 3000 K St. NW.

http://www.dcseafood.com/taj/index.htm

Old July 12th, 2009, 12:32   #38
LiLredTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ohh...I'd say bout 42mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by canast
Looking for recomendations for a great place to have a Crab dinner. Several years ago the wife and I tried a place in the Arlington area, it was nice but thought that someplace near the water, for a view, would be nice.
Feel free to PM me about this. I live near Annapolis and can point you in the directions of REAL Chesapeake Bay Crab hotspots. Theese are the places where they cover the table with paper and bring the steamed crabs to your table and just dump em out. You have to drive to AnneArundle, Calvert, St. Mary's, or Charles County Maryland. The Eastern Shore of Maryland is the very best most authentic place to go. They will all be a 1 to 1 1/2 hour ride from Dulles VA. Be prepared for the cost, one dozen large male crabs can cost 60-75 dollars this is enough to feed one very very hungry person or two light eaters. Traditional sides are potatoes with onions, corn on the cob, french fries, cold beer, beer, and more beer! I am going to give you a small list of some to google that are authentic.............Frank

Abeners Crab House- Annapolis Maryland
Captian Billy's- Charles County Maryland
Stoneys- Solomons Island- Calvert County Maryland
Fishermens Inn- Kent Narrows- Eastern Shore
****BEST****Watermans Inn- Eastern Shore, Rock Hall Maryland
2004 Jetta PD-RC race, 17/22,stg.IIcoltcam PD150 Inj.,Rosten Rods, Ported head,PP DP, cat delete/2 1/2" piping/Magnaflo muffler, R32 airbox/snorkle,PD150 TIP, SB stg 3 ,NSboost/egt gauges, BBS RS II's, Koni FSD/Eibach Kit, M3 side skirts/ rearwindow spoiler,GLI F/R lips FK bumper scoops

LiLredTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 12:47   #39
LiLredTDI
Veteran Member

Please do not forget if you are coming to the area Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, have 1000's of very nice places to visit. Battlefields, Muesuems, Caves, Parks, Covered bridges, Waterfalls, Frank Loyd Wright Homes, Naval Academy, Historic Annapolis, Alexandria, Occoquan, Atlantic Beaches, Baltimore, Saint Michaels Maryland etc., etc, etc. Nearly everything is from a 10 minute ride to a 3 hour ride. You could visit the area for 6 months and not see everything. I have lived in the Metro area for 30 years and would be happy to answer any questions if you have specific interests on locating anything as well as advising you of prices, traffic or best days to visit. I myself live in a neighborhood on the Chesapeake Bay and if someone wants to visit me and just fish off my neighborhood pier and have some beers or go to dinner at a authentic Bay place with seafood caught by local watermen PM me......Frank
2004 Jetta PD-RC race, 17/22,stg.IIcoltcam PD150 Inj.,Rosten Rods, Ported head,PP DP, cat delete/2 1/2" piping/Magnaflo muffler, R32 airbox/snorkle,PD150 TIP, SB stg 3 ,NSboost/egt gauges, BBS RS II's, Koni FSD/Eibach Kit, M3 side skirts/ rearwindow spoiler,GLI F/R lips FK bumper scoops

Old July 13th, 2009, 09:27   #40
RC
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLredTDI
The Eastern Shore of Maryland is the very best most authentic place to go.
You betchya!
RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 10:10   #41
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

As long as you don't mind the 2 hour long drive to and from dinner.

Old July 13th, 2009, 10:15   #42
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Quote:
Thats 2 hours to and 2 hours back.........Minimum! if the traffic isn't bad......
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2001 Jeep Cherokee silver
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 11:09   #43
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC
You betchya!
You ain't lying Ron. Some friends of mine from out of the area were in Bal'mer and invited me to dinner at O'Brycki's in Fells Point. They wanted $75/dozen for jumbos? ***?

No thanks. I'll stick to all-you-can-eat crabs, shrimp, clams, chicken, hushpuppies and corn on the cob for $35 at Old Mill in Delmar.
Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 14:10   #44
LiLredTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
That is why I said PM me for best times to travel. The drive from NOVA to Annapolis or the Eastern Shore is 1 hour give or take during light traffic.

There is really no substitute for the REAL Maryland crab feast, the eastern shore is the best most authentic place. For anyone interested in giving this a try, be a not too picky eater. You must break open the shell and sift through the entrails of the crab. Any good resturaunt will provide you with a proper crab knife and hammer to use along with a brief how-to. I hope I did not scare anyone off. There are few foods with the richness of taste and texture of Maryland crabs loaded with Old Bay. If you love social eating with friends in a picnic type of setting on the water the traditional crab feast will not leave you disappointed.

Old July 13th, 2009, 14:19   #45
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

I'll pass on the sea bugs.