www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 20:04   #1
2Dambad

Default Low voltage???

Today I got a low voltage warning, not from my 2005 Jetta, from my radar detector (built in low voltage warning). This occured twice when waiting for the glow plugs to warm up, it went away when the car started, and didnt come back when the car was warm. Should I start trying to find a new battery, or is this just something that will happen when it is cold?
2Dambad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 22:33   #2
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

The glow plugs put quite a load on the battery when they cycle. Unless you are having starting issues or your car is telling you something is wrong, I wouldn't worry about it.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:04   #3
Joe_Meehan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid-upper 40's city upper 50's - low 60's Highway

I agree with green. The glowplugs are drawing a lot of current, the battery is cold and putting less out. If you are making a lot of short trips, then you may want to consider doing a few longer trips or doing a little charging.

That said, it could also be the first indication of a battery ageing. It would seem that it is a little early for battery problems, but they do happen. I would continue to watch it and maybe have someone do a load test on it.

If you have a good voltage meter, you can check the voltage at the battery after the car is warm. You should get something between about 14.2 and 14.4. If you are below 13.5 I would have it checked.
Old January 4th, 2007, 08:05   #4
2Dambad

Thanks to both of you who responded. Normally, the car is driven 40 miles one way to work, but this week, the car and I are both setting at home. I will throw a volt meter on it later today if I decide to go anywhere.
2Dambad is offline   Reply With Quote