www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old April 22nd, 2009, 16:16   #46
Karmann_20v

TDI(s): 02 ALH Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Diesel
Your 2002 automatic came with an 11mm pump (and a fuel cooler under the passenger seat area under the car). The auto's got smaller injector nozzles than the 5 speeds, but the 5 speed cars got the 10mm pump with the larger nozzles. Clear as mud now?
That's not exactly what I was asking, but thanks for the extra info.
Karmann_20v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 20:34   #47
BadBeetle

TDI(s): 03' Beetle

What about temps? My EGR gauge rockets from 600 deg to 11 - 1200 when I'm just getting into it. Is there a "over the limit" temp and other than water/meth inject what's a guy to do?
BadBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 20:51   #48
edjet
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43-47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmann_20v
Hello guys.
Please excuse my "noobiness", but here is my situation:

Back in Dec 2002 we bought a Jetta TDI, Auto for the wife. Now, 6+ years later, the car just passed 150000kms and I kept on top of maintenance (TB, water pump, t-stat, brake flushes, etc). But the craptastic 4 spd auto did what it's designed to do best: die... The car is stock, no mods whatsoever. So, instead of gambling with another 4 spd, we are converting it to 5 spd manual(not me, a shop - I don't have a garage). I always wanted to chip the car, but I kinda knew that the auto was the Achilles heel.
So knowing that I have a 5 spd w/a new clutch, will the 11mm pump benefit from new injectors first, then chipping later? Or it should be done at the same time? Also, what is the most daily driver friendly setup (11mm pump/injectors/chip)?

It depends on how much you want to spend, and how far you want to go with power upgrades. I would recommend just upgrade your nozzles to stock 5 spd nozzles or the Sprint 520s that BleachBora has on sale for about $200. Chipping can come later after you have a chance to see how the nozzles affect the little monster.
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:42   #49
sootyou

TDI(s): Golf '01

I have a 01 Golf 5 speed.would adding sprint 520 and removing my muffler help in performance? I don't think I ready to chip just yet. Thanks

Last edited by sootyou; October 28th, 2009 at 07:51.
sootyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 14:06   #50
brightsideteeem

Fuel Economy: 50-ish MPG

I was wondering if PD TDI injectors work in my non PD engine? I'm thinking about getting a hybrid turbo conversion done, and somebody told me I could just save a bit of money and install a PD160 turbo and injectors to my engine (out of a Seat Ibiza) and expect to reach around 190bhp with a decent map? A FMIC would probably be necessary then aswell.

My car is a Seat Leon SE TDI, (110hp) ((i think its the same engine as in the Golfs, my engine code is ASV, so I think its equivelent is ALH?)) and Ive currently had it mapped to around 145bhp, but I want more hp! I would love to get 200bhp from my engine but I'm completly lost with what to do next. Any advice or if anyone could point me in the right direction as what to do next would be good, or if there are any shortcuts such as using injectors out of a VW Transporter van etc?
brightsideteeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 17:58   #51
PD Golf

TDI(s): 2005 VW Golf

Minimal gains, if any at all. With my car anyways. I noticed more noise than anything, which was not a bad thing. The car is not loud at all without a muffler. The Youtube videos are pretty accurate. I cut my exhaust just behind the over-the-axle pipe. Wielded in a 2.25 or 2.5" galvanized steel pipe form Advanced Auto Parts. Then, of course, added a tasteful tip, only to turn down the exhaust. It looks nice. The tip is barley visible.

With my mufflerectomy and down pipe combined, I definitely noticed a consistent gain in mpg. City and hwy.

The performance gain was still really not noticeable. I only did the straight through exhaust to help lower EGT's in preparation for a tune.

I do love how may car sounds. The little turbo on my PD is very vocal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootyou
I have a 01 Golf 5 speed.would adding sprint 520 and removing my muffler help in performance? I don't think I ready to chip just yet. Thanks
05 Golf, RC1+, Kerma Ugly Downpipe, mufflerectomy, vented fender liner, ventectomy, Frostheater, ScangaugeII, New South Performance EGT/Boost gauges, Air Lift rear air spring bags, Hopkins brake controller (for the 1,200lbs pop-up camper)
PD Golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 18:00   #52
PD Golf

"Minimal gains, if any at all." is in reference to the muffler delete you were considering.

I's imagine that nozzles on your car would have significant performance gains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootyou
05 Golf, RC1+, Kerma Ugly Downpipe, mufflerectomy, vented fender liner, ventectomy, Frostheater, ScangaugeII, New South Performance EGT/Boost gauges, Air Lift rear air spring bags, Hopkins brake controller (for the 1,200lbs pop-up camper)
Old November 30th, 2009, 18:03   #53
PD Golf

Geez... I meant; I'd imagine that nozzles in your car...

Ok, I'm done posting tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PD Golf
"Minimal gains, if any at all." is in reference to the muffler delete you were considering.

I's imagine that nozzles on your car would have significant performance gains.
Old July 14th, 2010, 08:34   #54
giantsaam

Fuel Economy: 35-41 Auto, 41-45 5spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmann_20v View Post
Hello guys.
Please excuse my "noobiness", but here is my situation:

Back in Dec 2002 we bought a Jetta TDI, Auto for the wife. Now, 6+ years later, the car just passed 150000kms and I kept on top of maintenance (TB, water pump, t-stat, brake flushes, etc). But the craptastic 4 spd auto did what it's designed to do best: die... The car is stock, no mods whatsoever. So, instead of gambling with another 4 spd, we are converting it to 5 spd manual(not me, a shop - I don't have a garage). I always wanted to chip the car, but I kinda knew that the auto was the Achilles heel.
So knowing that I have a 5 spd w/a new clutch, will the 11mm pump benefit from new injectors first, then chipping later? Or it should be done at the same time? Also, what is the most daily driver friendly setup (11mm pump/injectors/chip)?

Thanks
I just bought a 2003 with an auto and was wondering how hard was it for them to switch it to manual?
giantsaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 20:00   #55
john weeda

Fuel Economy: 32 mpg 7L/100km

Hello I’m working on putting a TDI ALH into a 2004 ford ranger 4x4 and would like some more power. So I have been looking at some chips and doing a lot of readying on line here on the forum thank you all. The reason for putting the TDI in the ranger is to get good L/100km (mpg). So I don’t want to lose that in any way only improve it if I can. I also do not want to have any black smoke as my wife drives to truck too. So for the best I have found is http://www.unitronic-chipped.com/ecu-tuning/Volkswagen-Jetta-MK4-19L-TDI-2000-2003-90hp stage 1+. Just would like some opinions on this, can a chip really do the hp and torque the they are saying it will? I just don’t want to be The sucker! Thank you for your help.

Last edited by john weeda; June 30th, 2012 at 20:03.
john weeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 21:31   #56
Prig builder

Ok I have some questions about things. If I understand things your in CA? I am from PA and am in CA working. Just finished building my 6.0 ford into a monster and had to have some parts shipped home then back to me because of the rules in CA. Truck is finally where I want it blowin smoke and getting 23 mpg out of an F350 diesel dualy 4x4 4 door short bed. Went to a local shop to get the cab off to start the project. They basically said the same as you. Leave the exhaust, stock injectors, and the intake won't make a difference if you change em. Now that I am done they are like wow wonder if polishing the intake like you did the heads and port matching that would make it any faster? Yes yes it would but I just spent 16k you got 3 of that to take the cab off and put it back on, the rest in parts and I did all the labor and machining. Had to stop somewhere! Now my question comes in here what you said about injectors and exhaust and intake and tuning not really changing much have anything to do with the limitations and the stupid emissions that CA requires? I only wonder because I am about to buy one of these cars to make into a play toy and the first two things that will happen before more than 100 miles are put on it by me is 1 the motor is coming out for a new balanced crank and a small change in stroke and get built to receive the beating I am going to bestow upon it. 2 the trans will be sent and built to handle the engine I will be modifing for the car and putting in. I don't care about fuel mileage or if I shut down intersections like my truck does now with the smoke! If this car can not be modified to make twice the amount of power that it does currently I don't want to waste my money on it please let me know.

Last edited by Prig builder; August 26th, 2012 at 21:32. Reason: I can't spell. Lol
Prig builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2014, 18:52   #57
MKVIGolfTDI

just wondering if there is a performance cite for my 2013 golf tdi or is it too soon yet?
MKVIGolfTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2015, 18:06   #58
T1no33

TDI(s): 2015 A3 TDI

Sub'd as it's a great read and learning tool
T1no33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 11:52   #59
VW

Fuel Economy: 38.5 mpg

I have a #NewToMe 2003 Beetle. I just had a High Mileage Timing Belt Kit (ALH) from idParts installed. I am loving this Buggy. I want more and am thinking that injector nozzles are my first performance upgrade followed by modding the chip.

My question is what injector nozzles do I go with on my '03 GLS Beetle manual? Here is the list at idParts: http://www.idparts.com/performance-n...5.html?sort=4a

Thank you
VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2016, 03:16   #60
evangelos
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none yet

Just remember you will have to upgrade you clutch because IT WILL SLIP.

I would go with the Powerplus 520 because I had them and were great, mileage will improve; expect to change the clutch.
2002 Jetta Frybrid: skid plate, TT shifter, stage 2 nozzles, Mikrotuning, GTi springs, TT bushings, Koni Yellow, 28mm Neu RSB, venterectomy, boostvalve, G60/VR6, ARP headstuds, mufflerectomy, 17", SS brake lines, solid axel bushings

2006 Jetta: Mikrotuning chip, 23mm eibach RSB, Bilstein Shocks, ECStuning front 312mm rotor, skidplate, brake lines, DG SS
evangelos is offline   Reply With Quote