www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old June 20th, 2006, 21:09   #31
KERMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaske
2.) KermaTDI doesn't make the Sprint nozzles for the PD's, but instead sells injector kits. ...
Why can't we just replace the nozzles like on previous model years?
You will ruin your ($700 each) injectors when you clamp them in a vise and twist to remove the nozzle. (and some guys don't even use a vise...)It requires expensive special tools. I won't take a chance on having customers ruin their expensive injectors, so we will only offer complete assembled injectors.
No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical. - Neils Bohr
KERMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 08:54   #32
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaske
So I can chip, OR upgrade injectors, but not both? What about a tuning box with upgraded injectors?
I sent this question in email form to KermaTDI. They replied that my DieselPower tuning box and the new PD injectors would be a nice combination together. I think I might give this a try. 30 hp from the box and I think 20 from the injectors. Nice upgrade if you if you get all of that 50 hp.
Old June 21st, 2006, 10:47   #33
kpaske
Veteran Member

What kind of HP gains are non-PD TDI's getting with the Chip+Injector combination?
Old June 21st, 2006, 21:24   #34
arvina
Veteran Member

Location: Brazoria (or as we call it, an hour south of houston), Texas
Fuel Economy: 42 min, 48 max

50 i believe is reasonable
Old September 22nd, 2006, 08:41   #35
Easy-Dubs-It

TDI(s): 05 Golf GLS

where do most of you mount your EGT guage?... doyou have to drill a new bung for the probe... if so.. where?..

oh and does anyone know if they sell a DUAL guage pod for the steering column... TMtuning only had a single..

thanks
~greg
Old November 2nd, 2006, 11:39   #36
Duke6062

check out the http://www.newsouthperformance.com/Mk4pod.htm site for the dual steering column pod, they are reasonably priced and cheaper than the other sites who sell the same pods made by newsouth.

Cheers
Old November 2nd, 2006, 11:48   #37
edgewatertom
Veteran Member

I just got my AutoMeter Cobalts from Summit Racing today. http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...04893&D=304893 Boost, EGT, Oil Temp and Oil Pressure and a Dual Pod. They'll be going in this weekend.

They come with a grommet if you have to drill through the FW.
edgewatertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2006, 19:06   #38
Mrrogers1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Never high enough but always trying for more.... (See signature)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke6062
check out the http://www.newsouthperformance.com/Mk4pod.htm site for the dual steering column pod, they are reasonably priced and cheaper than the other sites who sell the same pods made by newsouth.

Cheers
Does anyone have a picture of the dual pods installed? The indiglo gauges look good but I'd love to see the dual pod. Off the car the pods always look good but fit and finish can be questionable some times.
Mrrogers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 17:42   #39
Raimieb
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50ish, haven't measured

well, let's put it this way, if anyone has a personal opinion on where to go I am located in Athens, GA 30605...if you had great service done on your car with chipping and nozzles please let me know via private im....Thanks again for the info.

Walter
Raimieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 17:21   #40
fordthurston

Fuel Economy: 50 mpg

ok i have a 02 golf tdi. i want a cheap, simple little mod that i dont have to replace my fuel pump clutch or anyother costly type things. i want a liitle more pep with out screwing my baby up! any ideas?chips? nozzles? i dont want to have to put in any silly little gauges either! just a little simple mod. thanx ford thurston 120,ooo yo!
fordthurston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 19:22   #41
99 Beetle

TDI(s): 1999 Beetle
Default Looking to waste money on a 99 Beetle

Well im really new to this but i was wondering if i could get some help. I have a 99 beetle and i was wondering if putting straight pipe on the car will that turbo spin up faster as ive been told? Also how will the car sound? Finally i want to tune the car up a little its a manual car and i was thinking about putting a chip in it, are there any guidelines i should go off of when looking for one?
Thanks
99 Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 19:55   #42
Keith_J
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38 MPG @ 80 MPH with 2 bikes on top. 52 MPG @ 60 MPH slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Beetle
Well im really new to this but i was wondering if i could get some help. I have a 99 beetle and i was wondering if putting straight pipe on the car will that turbo spin up faster as ive been told? Also how will the car sound? Finally i want to tune the car up a little its a manual car and i was thinking about putting a chip in it, are there any guidelines i should go off of when looking for one?
Thanks
Faster? Not by much. The VNT15 already is quite responsive. Do you have Vag Com/VCDS? Log the requested and actual boost pressures and you will see no real lack of actual pressure. Unlike gasoline engines, increasing boost does very little to increase power. Fuel is the key and only injectors/programming will help.

Now if you HAVE modified the program (chip) and installed larger injectors, you MIGHT get a bit better performance with exhaust modifications. But that turbo will be much more responsive to the point the turbine itself is a restriction, not the DP/Cat/pipe/muffler.

For programming, it depends on what you want. I had an Upsolute low smoke model and with .205 injectors, it would EASILY slip the clutch in 4th and 5th if the outside temps were below 40 F. And the tires in lower gears at all temps. I ditched it and have replaced nozzles with PP520s. Still plenty power with little smoke.
2k Jetta manual. PP520s. Ventectomy, Panzer Plate, DT hitch, 16"s w/ 205 55s. Short shifter. Boost gauge with blue LED backlight, same intensity as dash. Blistein struts and shocks. 0.658:1 5th gear swap and LOVING IT.
Keith_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 13:38   #43
Grand-Papa

Fuel Economy: probably 5.5L/100km combined
Default Real Newbie !

Does what I read on chips and nozzels apply to the new 2009 tdi (canadian specs) ? and if so, Is there a chip/nozzel out yet ?
Grand-Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 16:00   #44
Karmann_20v

TDI(s): 02 ALH Jetta

Hello guys.
Please excuse my "noobiness", but here is my situation:

Back in Dec 2002 we bought a Jetta TDI, Auto for the wife. Now, 6+ years later, the car just passed 150000kms and I kept on top of maintenance (TB, water pump, t-stat, brake flushes, etc). But the craptastic 4 spd auto did what it's designed to do best: die... The car is stock, no mods whatsoever. So, instead of gambling with another 4 spd, we are converting it to 5 spd manual(not me, a shop - I don't have a garage). I always wanted to chip the car, but I kinda knew that the auto was the Achilles heel.
So knowing that I have a 5 spd w/a new clutch, will the 11mm pump benefit from new injectors first, then chipping later? Or it should be done at the same time? Also, what is the most daily driver friendly setup (11mm pump/injectors/chip)?

Thanks
Karmann_20v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 16:02   #45
LurkerMike
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: -Whitey: 38-40 mpg Hwy @ 80 mph / -Red 46 mpg Hwy @ 80 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmann_20v
Hello guys.
Please excuse my "noobiness", but here is my situation:

Back in Dec 2002 we bought a Jetta TDI, Auto for the wife. Now, 6+ years later, the car just passed 150000kms and I kept on top of maintenance (TB, water pump, t-stat, brake flushes, etc). But the craptastic 4 spd auto did what it's designed to do best: die... The car is stock, no mods whatsoever. So, instead of gambling with another 4 spd, we are converting it to 5 spd manual(not me, a shop - I don't have a garage). I always wanted to chip the car, but I kinda knew that the auto was the Achilles heel.
So knowing that I have a 5 spd w/a new clutch, will the 11mm pump benefit from new injectors first, then chipping later? Or it should be done at the same time? Also, what is the most daily driver friendly setup (11mm pump/injectors/chip)?

Thanks
Your 2002 automatic came with an 11mm pump (and a fuel cooler under the passenger seat area under the car). The auto's got smaller injector nozzles than the 5 speeds, but the 5 speed cars got the 10mm pump with the larger nozzles. Clear as mud now?
LurkerMike is offline   Reply With Quote