www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old March 18th, 2005, 19:56   #16
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Default Updated *Newbies/Basic Chip, Injector and Air box answers

Quote:

There are some mistakes here that do need to be addressed. Where did you get this information?

dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 07:23   #17
Ynot
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45/42/38
Default Updated *Newbies/Basic Chip, Injector and Air box answers

Thank you for pointing out the technical information that is incorrect. I don't think I did so bad if that is all you found. I am sure you could find more. Further more that info was given to me by a very respectable source over 2 years ago when I first started with my TDI and nozzles were just starting to be available. I did see GeWilli's site and the nozzle photos some time ago, maybe I do not remember the diam. designations correctly. From what I read here, I more than likly am in spec since the diam. seems to be less important than the spray pattern. Now I have no problem editing the info you pointed out. My intent is not mis-info, but to help cut down on repeat questions here.

My 2K Golf Automatic has an Up II chip programmed by Rene and sent to my local installer at that time in Calif., map B056 from Up I map, FF79. Bosio nozzles PP520's pop tested. My OMI is out now getting thermal coated, 3" CAI and 2.xx" exhaust with cat to a Flowmaster muffler. I add 3oz of CENTANE booster per fill up. NO SMOKE Until WOT and not much then. It smoked really bad with the Up I chip and PP520's when I first installed them. My IQ has not been changed from stock by me. Maybe I just got lucky.

Ynot
Ynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 09:59   #18
mkosem
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47mpg AVG
Default Re: Updated *Newbies/Basic Chip, Injector and Air box answers

How does the flowmaster sound with a turbo?

--Matt
mkosem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 10:13   #19
Ynot
Veteran Member

Default Re: Updated *Newbies/Basic Chip, Injector and Air box answers

I am not sure how to answer, since everyone thinks it sounds good, but describes it differently. My best stab is low and throaty. With my back seats up nothing, with them down it does come into the cabin, but so does tire noise. I like it. With my radio on low or med volumn it is unoticeable, even when accelerating hard. Of course unless your window is down , but I do not attract attention from bystanders.

Ynot
Old March 29th, 2005, 18:26   #20
DerekKim

Default Re: Updated *Newbies/Basic Chip, Injector and Air

I was looking to do an upsolute chip and a muflerectomy. I can fit on a DTM style tip right? Also how had is it to do the nozzle swap?
DerekKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2005, 12:03   #21
Duck0987

Default 4/8/05 updated*Newbies/Basic Chip, Injector and Air box answers

Quote:
A boost gauge and Exhaust Temp. Gauge should be installed before any engine modifications. This gives you visible engine health indications and can save alot of heart ache later.
I am just wonder what suggestions for mounting position and vendors for EGT and Boost gauges are suggest for A4 Jetta's. I've looked around and really can't find any posts specifically for the A4. Any links to photos of anyone elses setups would be appreciated.

Duck
Duck0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2005, 16:43   #22
BleachedBora

Default Re: 4/8/05 updated*Newbies/Basic Chip, Injector

See my sig, I have some options listed.
www.tmtuning.com has a pod for the steering column as well.
-BB
BleachedBora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 14:25   #23
Puebla
Veteran Member

This thread is interesting.
Puebla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 19:52   #24
Kabin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51.4 mpg (best)

I searched but didn't find info on ECU realignment after sending your ECU off for a chip tune. Does anyone know a link? When is realignment necessary? What is the lowest form of Vag-com life (409.1 shareware?) necessary to realign?
Kabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 00:39   #25
BoosTDIt
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: hmm 1 tank best 768m. & light went on - 43 average

Quote:
I searched but didn't find info on ECU realignment after sending your ECU off for a chip tune. Does anyone know a link? When is realignment necessary? What is the lowest form of Vag-com life (409.1 shareware?) necessary to realign?

That's something that you should've discussed with you're chiptuner of choice and if it's impossible for you to do it perhaps you could take an extra step in meeting pesonaly.Meaning that if you had no idea it would need it they should tell you that over the phone or email.

The second thing you could do and it's FREE... click on the link on top of the web-page where the titles are ...right underneath "Articles" sais VAG-Com List... it has a list of valid/active VAG-com users you can locate in your area... contact one of them for help.
BoosTDIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 11:17   #26
Oil_Burner
Veteran Member

Im not going to disagree with people here, for the most part, except to say that everything you do to increase performance plays a small part in the package. That said, I did notice a hugh increase in how the car pulled at the upper RPM ranges after going to a 2.5 Techtonics SS exhaust. No cat no muffler. The car pulled much harder after the exhaust install. It's simply part of the improvement in the entire system.

Tom
Oil_Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 12:15   #27
Ynot
Veteran Member

Tom,

That's all that matters! Some feel it, some do not. I have still been playing with a cai even though most believe the stock is best. It's good, but not effecient due to how the air has to cross the filter after entering the box. Any way, Enjoy!

Ynot
Old June 20th, 2006, 11:31   #28
kpaske
Veteran Member

OK, there are some things I need clarification on guys. Since this is the "sticky for newbies", this would be a good place to answer because I'm sure others may have the same questions. I am asking specifically about the 05.5+ PD TDI motors, Auto tranny, AND, I intend to run BioDiesel at some point and time.

1.) It sounds like the most popular way to increase performance in a TDI is by flashing your ECU ("chipping") and by upgrading the nozzles. There are two popular chip flashes (the RocketChip and the Upsolute). I understand that they are both good products, but I'm interested in opinions for my particular application (06 PD running BioD). Would one be more suitable than the other? Pluses and Minuses?

2.) KermaTDI doesn't make the Sprint nozzles for the PD's, but instead sells injector kits. Can someone who has used them give me their overall impression and recommendation (stage I or "race" version), and has anyone had any experience running BioD with these? Why can't we just replace the nozzles like on previous model years?

3.) Do the DSG trannys have any issues connected with chipped TDI's with upgraded injectors? I understand that most manual's will need a clutch upgrade.

4.) Any issues in general about running BioD in a Stage II modded TDI versus stock?

Please, no BioD comments unless it pertains directly to these or other performance mods. I know all about the warranty issues and haven't decided whether I will heed the warnings or not. Eventually this car will definitely be running BioD in some proportion, I'm just trying to decide how compatible that will be with potential performance mods.
Old June 20th, 2006, 11:40   #29
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Rocketchip Limits DSG cars to Stage 1+ the transmission has a 250 Ft pd limit
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2001 Jeep Cherokee silver
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 16:11   #30
kpaske
Veteran Member

So I can chip, OR upgrade injectors, but not both? What about a tuning box with upgraded injectors?