www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old August 9th, 2017, 16:12   #586
davidlp
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49

I've met several people with DSGs who get in the fifties, one with a Passat, so it's not a fiction. In the old days sticks definitely beat slush boxes for mileage and acceleration, but it seems the DSGs do in fact win out in many cases, depending on driving habits.
davidlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 21:48   #587
Lostyankee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2003: 45+ with 205 nozzles, 2015 52mpg

I've had the magic meter post 65 mpg but at the fill up calculated to 56 mpg. 650 mile trip @ 80 mpg, air on, stick. 30K on the car. I believe if I drove to drive other drivers crazy ... I could get low 60's.
I fastest & cheapest mileage improvement, proven over many years, is to adjust the big nut behind the big wheel. Dancing feet kill mpg.
I think the magic # meter is about as accurate as the last 1/4 tank on the fuelie gauge.
Lostyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 09:33   #588
jason_
Veteran Member

Follow semis, let them bust the wind.

MI to st Lois, Carbondale IL, then back to MI.

Did 690 miles on 12 gallons somewhere in that route.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
jason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 10:08   #589
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_ View Post
Follow semis, let them bust the wind.

MI to st Lois, Carbondale IL, then back to MI.

Did 690 miles on 12 gallons somewhere in that route.

Drafting is real for sure, even off regular cars. I get better mileage around D.C. (as long as the traffic doesn't stop) than I do driving alone in rural areas. Sometimes I'll drive 5 mph faster than I normally would just to stay with the pack and draft.

Helix soundbox; aspherical mirrors
Blue_Hen_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 14:34   #590
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Hen_TDI View Post
Drafting is real for sure, even off regular cars. I get better mileage around D.C. (as long as the traffic doesn't stop) than I do driving alone in rural areas. Sometimes I'll drive 5 mph faster than I normally would just to stay with the pack and draft.
Also, consider terrain is useful in saving fuel.

If you drive right using the changes in elevation as fuel, letting the car slow going upgrade and use the downgrade for speed going down within reason you can increase mileage, similarly or more than you would from drafting........

But in flat areas like Kansas and Nebraska and eastern Colorado, you really cant get see the improvement short of drafting because there's no hills to use as fuel.....

I have a lifetime of documentation showing how fuel economy can be improved significantly by just slowing down a bit going up the grade and then going down the grade at speeds within reason using the grade to hold speed.

But when driving in areas like the flat plains, theres not much you can do other than the adjustments to the engine, which make it more fuel efficient,

my mileage drops significantly over those high speed jumps across the plans compared to the same speed over the roads from the the east end of Kansas back home.
Old September 14th, 2017, 09:35   #591
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

When drafting though you get sandblasted by the vehicles in front of you. I prefer not to be that close to anyone if I can help it.
Old September 14th, 2017, 11:07   #592
davidlp
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49

Amen. I had five windshields in my last Jetta, and my 2015 got a new one at about 25k.
davidlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 12:25   #593
jason_
Veteran Member

Well, no Nascar stuff. 150-200ft back is plenty. Don't follow trucks that carry anything with an open tarp. Boxed trucks are preferred.

Old September 14th, 2017, 13:24   #594
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Sand/rocks tossed up from the road/truck is my biggest worry. At more than 100 ft back I doubt there is much benefit to be had. According to the Mythbusters study only 10% at 100 ft.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/in...threads/11954/
Old September 14th, 2017, 14:08   #595
amitsekhon
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 17.5~17.8 kms/litre in city

Another thing i found on CRUA engine on my 2015 Golf TDI is post-injection 1 phenomenon.Engine does it all the time under partial engine loads,even if your engine,dpf are fully warmed up and at normal operating temperature. I believe its an emission thing but sure fuel economy killer.I was under impression that post injections are done only during engine warmup phase or during regens.

amitsekhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 15:55   #596
jason_
Veteran Member

It's noticeable.

Stick your hand out the window before, during and after a lane change 150ft behind a semi. Roughly a semi and a half worth,. Give or take.

Assuming you're using 53footers as a measuring stick.

How much noticeable? I don't know. But it's something.

Old September 16th, 2017, 22:13   #597
Nuje
Veteran Member

Quote:
It's noticeable.

Stick your hand out the window before, during and after a lane change 150ft behind a semi. Roughly a semi and a half worth,. Give or take.

Assuming you're using 53footers as a measuring stick.

How much noticeable? I don't know. But it's something.
Yeah - I have to agree. When I'm out riding my bike, I can hold probably 10% more speed after a semi goes by for at least 10sec (and I'm 50m behind them behind them in less than a second). Even if a string of cars/pickups go by (and I'm not even right behind them), I can get that same kind of "free" ride.
Nuje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2017, 05:26   #598
jason_
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitsekhon View Post
Another thing i found on CRUA engine on my 2015 Golf TDI is post-injection 1 phenomenon.Engine does it all the time under partial engine loads,even if your engine,dpf are fully warmed up and at normal operating temperature. I believe its an emission thing but sure fuel economy killer.I was under impression that post injections are done only during engine warmup phase or during regens.
Any links to this? Not doubting you, just interested in something to read.

I wasn't aware it's dumping fuel all the time...

Old September 17th, 2017, 06:55   #599
amitsekhon
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 17.5~17.8 kms/litre in city

Quote:
Any links to this? Not doubting you, just interested in something to read.
I wasn't aware it's dumping fuel all the time...
Sorry i don't have any links.I am just describing what i am seeing in the data i collected. Maybe some tuner can shed some more light on it.
Post injections can be viewed in real time by using Vagcom or ODIS-S(vw factory diagnostic software) or with vw specific app.I used VAGDPF app.

As you can see in the above posted screen-shot,engine was just started in the morning and was in warmup phase.You can see all 3 post injections were active to warmup emissions components faster(economy killer).
Now in the following screenshot,Engine and DPF are fully warmed up and you can see post injection 1 was still active.This is the post injection-1 i am talking about.But i noticed that its greatly dependent on your throttle position.I could see my MPG display dropping a little as soon as i see post injection-1 under normal driving conditions.Also on under hard acceleration,this post injection -1 phenomenon doesn't happen.

Last edited by amitsekhon; September 17th, 2017 at 07:18.
amitsekhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2017, 07:22   #600
jason_
Veteran Member

What module? There's oodles on the web. I'm sure there's Chinese junk using the elm327 chip.