www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old September 10th, 2017, 09:00   #18676
SoKYTDi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See my signature!

Yesterday...

Replaced all the vacuum hoses with blue silicone tubing. Replaced a bad N75 solenoid and the one-way check valve that was no longer checking.

Mowed the yard with a borrowed mower, since my tractor needs a starter.

Removed stuff to get to the exhaust manifold/turbo so I can replace the vane actuator on the turbo. Couldn't get the charge hose off the turbo, so called it a day. Once I get that done, I'll remove the oil return line and pull the manifold/turbo so I can replace and adjust the actuator.

2003 Golf GL TDi -- Lots o' mods and a whole list of dreams..... now in 6 gears!
SoKYTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 13:35   #18677
nokivasara
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44-49 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokivasara View Post
@jmeigs, that is a bad start of the day...

I've had a semi-successful day in the garage today. I've started to remove stuff to replace the DMF in my Skoda.
When I popped the hood open the lever in the cabin broke (same as in mk5 Golf)...
Having a transfer case and a 6-speed gearbox makes this job a PITA, especially when doing it on the floor in a small garage.
Tried to remove the box without taking the subframe off but that won't work, it hits the mounting bracket for the LCA. So I went on to remove the LCA, broke one of the ball joint studs and called it a day.
Continued with this today, started with the subframe. Yesterday I broke one of the ball joint screws but, that can be expected here in the land of salt...other than that everything went smoothly. The gearbox with the bevel gear (transfer box) still attached make it a bit heavy on the diff side, it wasn't that easy to manouver it in and out.
The old DMF wasn't very loose rotation-wise but had a lot of play in the friction disc part.
I learnt that I should have taken the subframe off from the beginning, would've spared me a lot of time and energy...

Now I just need to replace the ball joint and get new subframe bolts along with an alignment.

Last edited by nokivasara; September 10th, 2017 at 13:37.
nokivasara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 19:44   #18678
bobt2382
Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor

Fuel Economy: 46.5

Nice work! I won't/can't do that type of work on my back anymore. Glad it went fairly smooth.
2010 4D CWhite Golf TDI, 6 sp manual, Fluidampr, Bixenons, Rear Airbags, RNS-510, Dynaudio, DieselGeek SS & P2015 bracket, Force Fed Eng. Shifter Bushings. XB,UB, & RB UNIbraces; TyrolSport Brake Caliper Bushing, 2Micron Contain/PureFlow kits & timing belt cover, PolarFis MFD module, Euro light switch, R Red LED Tail Lights,Under Seat Drawers, Full color MFD cluster.
bobt2382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 05:45   #18679
SoKYTDi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See my signature!

Got the charge air hose off the Golf, pulled the exhaust manifold/turbo out, replaced the turbo actuator, and buttoned it all up. She's back on the street!

2003 Golf GL TDi -- Lots o' mods and a whole list of dreams..... now in 6 gears!
SoKYTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 09:12   #18680
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

I finally figured out how to correctly purge the air out of a VE injection pump. So I did that and got started a car that has been sitting without running for 2 years or so.

Unfortunately, it has an autotragic transaxle with problems, rust issues, and while it was going to be a project, I have not the time nor inclination to do so.

It looks like I have at least 1 2-dr auto golf for parts. Just have to do some looking at the 2 candidates and figure out which (if not both) will be sacrificed.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 08:19   #18681
Jeffbucc
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: AVG 40

Just bought a 2005 Jetta TDI wagon with 180k miles after trading my Sportwagen back to VW.

The PO had done all the bushing but the subframe bushings and rear axle bushings. Currently waiting on the Cupra replacement bushings but decided to tackle the front subframe with some Tyrolsport subframe bushings.
(also some shifter cable bracket bushings)

Very Glad I did since the metal insert in the original bushing just fell out of the rubber.

Quick few licks of paint after some rust treatment and the new ones pressed in(talk about a tight fit!) and ready to go. Just waiting on some new bolts as the originals were fairly rusted and I just don't know how long they have been in the car.

Malone Stage 2/Rawtek Downpipe&Midpipe/Banks 3" exhaust/S3 Intercooler/H&R Rear Swaybar/Neuspeed endlinks/Golf R steering wheel/GTD shifter/GTD E-Brake/GTD grille/Smoked Side markers/Stainless steel ECS brake lines/Tyrolsport Caliper stiffening kit/Highline CECM/OEM Xenon Lights/OEM Fog Lights/

Last edited by Jeffbucc; September 13th, 2017 at 08:25.
Jeffbucc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 18:05   #18682
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Nice looking car. Jetta Wagons are the best TDIs. I'll be interested in how you like the solid subframe mounts (I'm reluctant to call them bushings since I don't see any rubber). Hope you don't feel too much engine vibration.
Old September 14th, 2017, 18:59   #18683
Jeffbucc
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: AVG 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Nice looking car. Jetta Wagons are the best TDIs. I'll be interested in how you like the solid subframe mounts (I'm reluctant to call them bushings since I don't see any rubber). Hope you don't feel too much engine vibration.
Man, getting the subframe aligned with the steering rack was a pain!

Finally took it for a drive after getting it all buttoned up, and surprisingly there was no noticeable increase in NVH. In fact is seemed more solid and planted, especially at initial corner turn in. My alignment seems to have improved as well as there is zero shimmy/shake/vibration from the steering wheel now.

Shifts are smoother as well. I can't figure out how there isn't more NVH, maybe due to the subframe having a solid connection to the rest of the chassis with no way to have deflection.

All in all I say it was well worth the money! Tyrolsport makes good products. Their bushings always make a noticeable difference in how the car responds to the driver/road.

What it is about the MK4 chassis that causes it to have such a numb steering feedback? It feels completely numb in comparison to the Sportwagen. Really need to find a way to change that, as the "connection", or feedback from the car is the most important part of the driving experience for me.
Malone Stage 2/Rawtek Downpipe&Midpipe/Banks 3" exhaust/S3 Intercooler/H&R Rear Swaybar/Neuspeed endlinks/Golf R steering wheel/GTD shifter/GTD E-Brake/GTD grille/Smoked Side markers/Stainless steel ECS brake lines/Tyrolsport Caliper stiffening kit/Highline CECM/OEM Xenon Lights/OEM Fog Lights/
Jeffbucc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2017, 21:05   #18684
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

This weekend...
- Replaced leaking clutch master cylinder that was dripping brake fluid on my toes - Clutch has never felt this good, master has been messed up since I got it I believe.

- R&R'd left axle due to cracked CV boot

- Replaced burnt out headlight bulb

- Swapped out the 50 psi gauge with the 30 psi gauge for the LP turbo - need to connect ALL the gauges together and pressurize simultaneously, something is off somewhere.

- Drove it ~600 miles this weekend, including ~100 miles at speeds west texas would be proud of and still returned 47.3 MPG on the tank with the A/C on. Played leapfrog with a clean MK3 with a VR6 (had to be from the sound) for ~50 of those miles. It sounded nice, but I bet he was getting way less than half the MPG's I was. He couldn't run away from me and he did a lot of shifting whereas I just left it in 6th and leaned into the throttle

- Pondered all the things that I still want to do on this car yet, then remembered that I need to get my Duramax project done first so it's only getting what it needs to keep it safe and dependable as my daily driver for now .
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 18:48   #18685
Mr. Annoying
Veteran Member

Quote:
it was mine IBW Jeff bought it a few weeks agoI miss it already
2005 Reflex silver wagon,
Disregard previous signature This mind intentionally left blank
Mr. Annoying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 16:03   #18686
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Damn! What are you replacing it with? Going back to air cooled?
Old September 28th, 2017, 11:39   #18687
Cptcrnch
Veteran Member

What haven't I don't so far.

Pulled front fender liners and got a bunch of crap out and put POR15 in there.
Oil change
Power Steering flush
Brake fluid flush (power bleeder was an awesome investment)
Installed new horns (low horn was bad on mine - replaced both)
Fuel filter changed and can of Diesel Purge run
Sprayed PB Blaster on exhaust bolts in preparation for exhaust install next week
Replaced windshield cowl and cleaned ECU connection (old cowl was warped and let water foul the ECU connection when it rained)
Installed BFI stage 1 Dogbone mount

Going to install the DG short shifter later today and tomorrow the Panzer Plate and Full Metal Jacket get installed along with washing the car.

Last edited by Cptcrnch; September 28th, 2017 at 11:42.
Cptcrnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 12:24   #18688
Mr. Annoying
Veteran Member

Quote:
Damn! What are you replacing it with? Going back to air cooled?
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI DSG
Old September 28th, 2017, 12:40   #18689
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Nice. You'll like it. Get it tuned!
Old September 30th, 2017, 08:32   #18690
Mr. Annoying
Veteran Member

Quote:
Nice. You'll like it. Get it tuned!
I think RC has something for both engine and tranny, tranny could use something in that department