www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old September 6th, 2017, 09:15   #31
vanbcguy
Veteran Member

Gotcha, the addition of EDL / ASR would start up a conversation between the engine and the ABS system.

The ABS in my Passat is a simpler one, the 4 cylinder cars got plain ABS while VR6 cars had EDL too. The EDL version of the hardware has an extra multi pin connector at the pump.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Old September 6th, 2017, 10:46   #32
iwannajettatdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/49/46

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbcguy View Post
Gotcha, the addition of EDL / ASR would start up a conversation between the engine and the ABS system.

The ABS in my Passat is a simpler one, the 4 cylinder cars got plain ABS while VR6 cars had EDL too. The EDL version of the hardware has an extra multi pin connector at the pump.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Well, from a list I was able to find on passat world forums and cross referenced on oemepc.com it appears the b5.5 Passat I have was fortunate enough to have them all. Unless I've read the numbers wrong. I have a 40 ish (43?) pin connector at the abs ecu as well as a second three pin that connects around on the back. I guess we'll see . Either way I wanted ANS to work so it needed to be done. The other possibility is swapping in a 4motion pump for when I get the syncro installed, IF that will make a difference.
DEAD-99.5 A4 Jetta, 349,919 miles RIPieces
iwannajettatdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 12:48   #33

TDI(s): None. 01 EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannajettatdi View Post
It has/had ESP and asr by default, but not EDL based on the info I could find. The Passat ABS unit has all three it seems. The biggest thing was getting the Eurovan abs pump to talk to the Passat ecu, no clue if that's possible honestly. From the mk4 abs pump swaps it appears only a small number of pumps can be coded to an ecu, no one really has a list or why it works that way. Just the way they were designed and programmed.

The 02g would be nice, but the 4cylinders won't bolt up to one. So you would need to import a 2.5L tdi. They offered syncro in the 02g though. I just didn't want a motor I couldn't easily get parts or service for. What I'm building is basically a stock van but with the BHW diesel instead of the ABL that was offered. Next gen TDI with otherwise stock van parts.

Some odds and ends parts and the starter delivered today. Exhaust was shipped. I'm hoping most of the big parts are in by next week so I can put them all on. The missus is going to be out of town for a few days which leaves me full reign in the garage. Minus a half a day for some mountain biking. The only things I'll still need to fab up are the oil pan and pickup which is at the welders currently, the passenger side mount, and the transfer case mount to the block on the passenger side. I think the rest is basically bolt/cobble together with parts I have.

Still need a coolant flow diagram of anyone has one for a 2002 EVW westfalia.
From what I understand the Bosch 5.3 has EDL based on one of the first lines which state: "ESP is an additional extension of the well-known driving safety systems ABS/EDL and ABS/EDL/ASR." plus this thread which lead me to believe that if it has ASR or ESP that EDL is an included component.

The 02G that would work with my AXK VR6 apparently doesn't support a syncro system. The 02G with syncro would require custom conversion.

I figured if I'm going custom anyway, perhaps I can just see how your 4motion project is going and go with that instead.
450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 14:34   #34
iwannajettatdi
Veteran Member

Here's a question I can't seem to find the answer to... How much oil do I put in? I won't be able to rely on the dipstick since the engine is now sitting at a different angle. It looks like the older ABL TDIs in the T4 transporters used 5-5.5L of oil and they also had a steel sump. It was shaped a little differently, but similar enough. The typical BHW ran with 3.8-4L, however the pan was shaped quite differently. I'm trying to figure out how to remark the dipstick with the correct level so I know if I need to add/take out oil. I know putting too much oil in isn't good, but does anyone have some ideas about the actual level I should be shooting for? Thanks!
Old September 11th, 2017, 14:42   #35
iwannajettatdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450
From what I understand the Bosch 5.3 has EDL based on one of the first lines which state: "ESP is an additional extension of the well-known driving safety systems ABS/EDL and ABS/EDL/ASR." plus this thread which lead me to believe that if it has ASR or ESP that EDL is an included component.

The 02G that would work with my AXK VR6 apparently doesn't support a syncro system. The 02G with syncro would require custom conversion.

I figured if I'm going custom anyway, perhaps I can just see how your 4motion project is going and go with that instead.
True, but some cars came with only ASR, some with ASR/EDL, some with all three. EDS is German for EDL if you see that at all. I don't think the eurovan had EDL based on what I could find in the manual and cross referencing the numbers of the pump online. Either way, the passat ABS will work with itself, and I wasn't sure if the EV ABS unit would be accepted by the BHW ECU. There were a few cases of folks not being able to code new/swapped/upgraded ABS units to their ECU. Something about them being a one time code, or the actual car's program won't accept but one or two different variants. Not sure about this completely, and it may have worked, but it's already wired in and the lines swapped over. Just have to bleed the brakes and the pump with VCDS.

The typical T4 uses syncro and viscous coupler vs. the 4 motion using a haldex controller at the rear. I have some thoughts about converting a VC setup to Haldex and running a standalone controller, but that is in the future and I'm just looking to get it running first. There are some MK2 forums where they have a mount to swap in a Haldex in place of their syncro rear end, so I'll have to look more into that when the time comes. The biggest hurdle with just using the T5 gearbox was the output of the transfer case was completely in the wrong spot for the T4 and the steering rack. If you could figure out a way to get around that and wanted to make the custom axles you could do it easy peasy.

So far the only thing custom is going to be the oil sump modifications, the passenger side transfer case bracket and the pass side motor mount. Everything else is stock and bolts up like it should. This project has become much easier, and the monumental task of the wiring becomes the hardest part. I *Think* I'm done with the wiring, we'll hopefully see this week! New axles are sitting in boxes too to be bolted up as the VR6 came with 112mm CVs the others had 108mm.
Old September 15th, 2017, 04:33   #36
therabbittree
Veteran Member

TDI(s): B4 passat

Awesome thread. You need to post pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk