www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old August 29th, 2017, 12:15   #16
Owain@malonetuning

Definitely worth adjusting. DLC1019s would be optimal, they'll flow enough for a medium sized turbo with an 11mm pump if you do decide to upgrade but aren't overly aggressive for the stock unit. Can dial back bigger units like PP764s or R520s, but odds are you won't need them.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 15:16   #17
h4vok
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Vision View Post
I will play with it but I for sure want injectors because I have heard that when you do that it creates a totally different machine.
So let's get a tune and injectors.
Keeping the stock vnt 15
What injectors and nozzles would you recommend then? And is it worth monkeying with the adjustment before the nozzles and injectors?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
DLC520 or DLC1019 are then best option for most setups if you ask me.

h4vok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 17:42   #18
Bad_Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owain@malonetuning View Post
Definitely worth adjusting. DLC1019s would be optimal, they'll flow enough for a medium sized turbo with an 11mm pump if you do decide to upgrade but aren't overly aggressive for the stock unit. Can dial back bigger units like PP764s or R520s, but odds are you won't need them.
I assume I'll have to send my ecu back to you then?

Bad_Vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 17:49   #19
Bad_Vision

And what's the best place to buy the dlc1019s

Old August 29th, 2017, 18:51   #20
h4vok
Veteran Member

Quote:
And what's the best place to buy the dlc1019s

Many people including my self have used DBW LLC google it. He is on here from time to time.

Old August 29th, 2017, 21:27   #21
Bad_Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4vok View Post
Many people including my self have used DBW LLC google it. He is on here from time to time.
See that's the stuff I was complaining about In the first post.
DBW LLC you guys have nomenclature for everything and it's like reading Latin. Lol

Thanks guys I'll be buying them soon!

Is it safe to do this upgrade on a motor with 250k or should I rebuild the engine then upgrade?
If I run it what's the first thing that's going to give out rod or rings?
Just had a timing belt service done so should be good for that.

Old August 29th, 2017, 21:31   #22
Bad_Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4vok View Post
What stage would be recommend for my application do you think?

Old August 29th, 2017, 22:29   #23
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Owain, thank you for coming back to the discussion, I knew something must have been misunderstood. BV, I am with Owain on the DLC1019 nozzles: they are very reliable and very well engineered. If at some time in the future you want to get a bigger turbo and crank up the HP there is plenty of room available in those nozzles to do just that. With that said, NO! don't buy a bigger turbo! A bigger turbo would be completely the wrong hardware for your specific application. The vnt-15 you have will make a sh!t ton of power down low where you want it for an off-road, crawler application. I had an injector pump die recently, and while it is out being rebuilt I am sending my injectors/nozzles back to DBW just to make sure there was no damage done by the pump to the nozzles when it died. If there was damage, DBW will fix it and I will be back like new again. For your application a "Stage 1" setting on your nozzles will be more than enough fueling and should provide the best fuel economy as well. I hope this helps to answer your questions.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, 35/15% Tint, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, Stage 4 TDTuning, PP764's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2017, 12:26   #24
h4vok
Veteran Member

Quote:
What stage would be recommend for my application do you think?

Stage 1 should be good. That is what I have on my DLC520's.

Old August 31st, 2017, 09:18   #25
Bad_Vision

It already has a stage 1.5 tune from Malone and it has to my knowledge stock nozzles.

Old August 31st, 2017, 10:31   #26
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

I believe what h4vok is referring to is the setup of the nozzles: the nozzles can be set in multiple stages based on how much power is being desired. Stage 1 on the nozzles will provide all the fuel you should need for your application, but a Stage 3 Tune update after swapping out the nozzles will be very nice all around. My engine has over 250k miles and I just upgraded to a Stage 4 tune; I am not concerned about reliability issues as I don't thrash her on a daily basis. Keep the oil changed and don't let the motor overheat and you should have lots of life left w/o worrying about service issues.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, 35/15% Tint, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, Stage 4 TDTuning, PP764's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel

Last edited by Nevada_TDI; September 2nd, 2017 at 22:06.
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2017, 11:27   #27
Bad_Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada_TDI View Post
I believe what h4vok is referring to is the setup of the nozzles: the nozzles can be set in multiple stages based on how much power is being desired. Stage 1 on the nozzles will provide all the fuel you should need for your application, but a Stage 3 Tune update after swapping out the nozzles will be very nice all around. My engine has over 250k miles and I just upgraded to a Stage 4 tune; I am not concerned about reliability issues as I don't thrash her on a daily basis. Keep the oil changed and don't let the motor overheat and you should have lots of live left w/o worrying about service issues.
Perfect!

Old September 7th, 2017, 06:03   #28
jmodge
Veteran Member

I wouldn't worry about mileage and durability Nick, Rob down at Diesel Injection Service has over 600,000 miles on a Mk4 Jetta. The vnt 15, mild tune, conservative set up should work great for you. You don't want to crank those 37's to fast do you? LOL! Long block should be good for a long time, lifter bores seem to wear before anything else. Frank Irving may be at Kirk's GTG, he has nice set up for rebuilding heads. I stopped at his shop and checked it out. You can find a spare head and have it gone through if you are concerned about it. I just went through my turbo and replaced the cartridge and cleaned the exhaust side. Bring yours by sometime if you want a seperate eyeball opinion on the turbo condition.