www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old July 12th, 2017, 16:31   #16
B4Ugo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48commute(best)

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=476130&page=2

Post #22 & #23 of interest.
B4Ugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2017, 16:37   #17
GoremanX
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4Ugo View Post
In the meantime, I will continue to lament my SMF setup, and drive at higher RPMs than necessary to prevent the dreaded harmonics...
LOL! I heard that complaint often enough BEFORE the swap that I didn't make that mistake. I went with a 228mm clutch and DMF flywheel, and it's smooth as silk with tons of holding power. No chatter, no slip. Granted, it's an expensive South Bend clutch that cost about $1000 (NOT including the DMF), but I figure it's one of those things I never want to be to worry about again so the peace of mind is worth it.
Old July 12th, 2017, 16:59   #18
GoremanX
Veteran Member

Quote:
I suspect it's a possibility that it has something to do with our Malone tuning.
That gave me an idea... so I hooked up the Flashzilla to my car and I flashed the original OEM tune to the ECU. Then with VCDS, I went back to the coding page. Soft coding had been reset to 0000000 by the flash. Tried entering 0050074 to enable Climatronic... and it was ACCEPTED!!! Did not try to start the engine with that tune because I'm concerned with dumping too much fuel with my R783 injector nozzles. Also that's an automatic transmission coding.

Then I flashed my newest Malone tune. Went back to coding section. Would no longer accept 005074 as a code. It only accepts 0150034 or 0150031 (auto trans or manual trans). So somehow, the Malone tune has removed the ability to enable the Climatronic coding in the ECU. I'll get in touch with them and share those findings.

Last edited by GoremanX; July 12th, 2017 at 17:28.
GoremanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2017, 17:01   #19
GoremanX
Veteran Member

Quote:
My electric fan comes on fine when the A/C compressor is supposed to be on, pretty sure it's controlled by the HVAC unit and not the ECU.
Old July 12th, 2017, 17:27   #20
GoremanX
Veteran Member

I took the plunge and tried running the engine with the OEM image flashed to the ECU. Coded it for Climatronic, started it up... and the A/C works flawlessly. The HVAC unit has complete control over the compressor clutch.

So this kinda confirms it, the Malone tune somehow removes the ability to re-code for Climatronic. Hopefully this is an easy fix for them.

Glad to know all my wiring was done properly!
Old July 12th, 2017, 17:32   #21
Owain@malonetuning

You and the other guy really have us scratching our heads over here haha. Your original software is for an autotragic passat, Mark used manual BEW software. Odds are that BEW file doesn't have provisions for climatronic. Not sure what single din climatronic tdi setups are out there, and other buddy has a dual din setup from a GLX, hopefully there aren't weird unique oddities between them either.

Likely going to have to get a file from some weird Euro model, will keep you posted.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Last edited by Owain@malonetuning; July 12th, 2017 at 17:35.
Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2017, 17:51   #22
GoremanX
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owain@malonetuning View Post
You and the other guy really have us scratching our heads over here haha.
LOL! I just deleted the email I was in the midst of typing you since you're already up to date anyways

Based on all the wiring diagrams I've looked at, the A4 and Passat GLX Climatronic setups are identical. The key is a wire from pin T94/50 of the ECU that gives the HVAC unit the "ok" signal that it's allowed to run the A/C compressor. This allows the ECU to request that the compressor be turned off under certain circumstances. That pin does nothing unless the ECU is coded for Climatronic. The equivalent pin on an A4 AWM ECU is 41, and I assume the same on whatever gasser ECU is used on the Passat GLX.
Old July 12th, 2017, 17:56   #23
B4Ugo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoremanX View Post
I took the plunge and tried running the engine with the OEM image flashed to the ECU. Coded it for Climatronic, started it up... and the A/C works flawlessly. The HVAC unit has complete control over the compressor clutch.
So this kinda confirms it, the Malone tune somehow removes the ability to re-code for Climatronic. Hopefully this is an easy fix for them.
Glad to know all my wiring was done properly!
Well done! Cool heads prevail!!
These are some great clues. And thank you Frank for taking the initiative to run your car with the OEM flash.
Brilliant.
Old July 12th, 2017, 19:06   #24
GoremanX
Veteran Member

Quote:
And thank you Frank for taking the initiative to run your car with the OEM flash.
It was awful... I hope I don't ever need to do that again. Idle was rough and LOUD, starting the engine resulted in a big puff of black smoke from the tailpipe, and every light on the dash was lit up like a Christmas tree. By comparison, my Malone custom tune is downright velvety...
Old August 2nd, 2017, 12:18   #25
GoremanX
Veteran Member

So here's something interesting. A friend of mine has an '06 Jetta with BRM. I hooked up my HEX-NET to it and checked out the ECU coding module. Lo and behold! There's options there for manual trans and climatronic!

Pretty sure the BRM also uses EDC16, although a couple of the sensors are different. It uses a different crank position sensor, I *think* the VNT actuator may work backwards, and there's a (useless) sensor on the VNT actuator. But would it be possible to adapt the BRM file for use on a BHW? At least then the climatronic coding would be available.

Last edited by GoremanX; August 3rd, 2017 at 18:16.
GoremanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 12:05   #26
B4Ugo
Veteran Member

That is a possible solution. Although the Euro BGW file seems to be a perfect fit, from what I can discern.
The BHW ECU I had to begin with was loaded with a BGW file (using BDM100) and worked great. I myself don't work with BDM100 and wanted to eliminate rev hanging, which was the only issue.
So I sent a different ECU off to Malone and the tune eliminated rev hanging; except now a/c and cruise doesn't work, and boost is all over the place.
And now that I've discovered what file was on the old ECU, I let Malone know and they are working on a solution.