www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old July 3rd, 2017, 12:04   #601
Turbo Z

the higher the inlet stage temperature to a compressor stage the work is direct proportional to the temperature increase.

If you compress air at 83k at pr 5 at isentrop condition (say cp=1000j/Kkg)
the needed specific work is about 50kJ/kg air
if we rise the temperature to the double 166K the needed work for compression is about 100kJ/kg, the double amount of work for compression, the opposite can be used in turbine, the higher the temperature the more work is available for abstraction from the stage

actually a isotherm at normal temperature is the operation that will need the smallest amount of specific work, but not so easy to do in real, interstage cooling is between, and yes you can supercool the air by a Brayton cycle to -0--30 degree celsius, the same method used in air condition in airplane. But will need more exhaust pressure and ALOT of other thing to think about.

but inter cooling has another positive thing, since you keep temperature down the viscosity of the air is lower (viscosity for gases increase with temperature)
this mean we will have a higher Reynolds number in second stage then without intercooling and the air will follow the blade better in the compressor and by that work better, and more margin for surge. The generalize parameters does not take this into account as fare as I know but I can be mistaken there.

and do not forget the higher the pressure ratio in general the lower efficiency, the pollytropic efficiency is the same. This because the isentropic efficiency is less then 100%, so the more to the end you end up the more work is needed all the time because temperature is increasing.

Last edited by Turbo Z; July 3rd, 2017 at 12:09.
Turbo Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 12:49   #602
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I'm not sure if the metallurgy would be happy with 83 K .
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2017, 10:07   #603
Rub87
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Z View Post
the higher the inlet stage temperature to a compressor stage the work is direct proportional to the temperature increase.

If you compress air at 83k at pr 5 at isentrop condition (say cp=1000j/Kkg)
the needed specific work is about 50kJ/kg air
if we rise the temperature to the double 166K the needed work for compression is about 100kJ/kg, the double amount of work for compression, the opposite can be used in turbine, the higher the temperature the more work is available for abstraction from the stage

actually a isotherm at normal temperature is the operation that will need the smallest amount of specific work, but not so easy to do in real, interstage cooling is between, and yes you can supercool the air by a Brayton cycle to -0--30 degree celsius, the same method used in air condition in airplane. But will need more exhaust pressure and ALOT of other thing to think about.

but inter cooling has another positive thing, since you keep temperature down the viscosity of the air is lower (viscosity for gases increase with temperature)
this mean we will have a higher Reynolds number in second stage then without intercooling and the air will follow the blade better in the compressor and by that work better, and more margin for surge. The generalize parameters does not take this into account as fare as I know but I can be mistaken there.

and do not forget the higher the pressure ratio in general the lower efficiency, the pollytropic efficiency is the same. This because the isentropic efficiency is less then 100%, so the more to the end you end up the more work is needed all the time because temperature is increasing.
nice, thats maybe also one of the reasons why pre comp wi works so good.
Old July 5th, 2017, 18:23   #604
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

When you inject water pre-compressor, the gamma is not longer that of air (1.4) but a lower value. That helps reduce compressor work, but simultaneously increases the mass flow, so it is neither clear nor always the case that pre-comp WI "works so good". It's definitely very bad for other things, like pitting the compressor wheel.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017, 16:36   #605
KLICHO

TDI(s): 1z

Hello. I search information about 3 turbo's GTD1549vz GTC1549vz and BV43A i need informaton
intake:
inducer:
exducer:
AR
exhaust
inducer :
exducer :
KLICHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017, 22:59   #606
kristsm

Hi!

Can someone please share turbine & comp. wheel measurements of latest VNT gen GTD2060VZ / VZK ? Someone said to someone its size is larger than the previous gen GTB2260 (which obviously contradicts with the nomenclature of GT20 < GT22). Is it true?

Thank you!

Last edited by kristsm; August 6th, 2017 at 23:03.
kristsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 01:47   #607
ryanp

GTD2060 - turbine is smaller, compressor has 63mm extended tip. They work well but not night and day compared to older GTB2260. GTD1752vrk on the other hand is VERY good.

I'm going to test GTD2263vzk, hopefully it makes more power

02M 6 Speed Conversions + Euro Parts - 6 Speed Setups for A4 + A5 platform,PD150 Intakes, TIP kits, Turbo's, Injectors as well as anything else!! PM Me! - Click HERE
ryanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 03:11   #608
kristsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanp View Post
GTD2060 - turbine is smaller, compressor has 63mm extended tip. They work well but not night and day compared to older GTB2260. GTD1752vrk on the other hand is VERY good.

Nice! Have you installed GT22V turbine wheel in the GTD2260 and upgraded comp wheel with KTS china cnc'ed wheel? Thank you!

BTW , does GTD2060 tolerates higher EGT's than GTB (It should as I understand from Garrett official videos)?
kristsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 06:36   #609
KLICHO

TDI(s): 1z

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLICHO View Post
Hello. I search information about 3 turbo's GTD1549vz GTC1549vz and BV43A i need informaton
intake:
inducer:
exducer:
AR
exhaust
inducer :
exducer :

Nobody knows ?
KLICHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2017, 18:56   #610
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Quote:

Ryan any chance you're coming out with a kit for 1.9/2.0 TDI that will utilize the GTD1752vrk? It just seems like the perfect turbo for our engine.
Old August 11th, 2017, 00:03   #611
ryanp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3L3M3NT View Post
Ryan any chance you're coming out with a kit for 1.9/2.0 TDI that will utilize the GTD1752vrk? It just seems like the perfect turbo for our engine.
Its a possibility but this would be a little more expensive to build than a normal GTD2260 kit so as long as there is a market we can do it!

02M 6 Speed Conversions + Euro Parts - 6 Speed Setups for A4 + A5 platform,PD150 Intakes, TIP kits, Turbo's, Injectors as well as anything else!! PM Me! - Click HERE
ryanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 06:56   #612
sam-

Quote:
Its a possibility but this would be a little more expensive to build than a normal GTD2260 kit so as long as there is a market we can do it!
Hello,

As you mention GTD2260 and garrett website refering size up to GTD22, i bet its oem turbo but on which car please ? I own a GTD2060VZ actually.

Also would you share some info about the turbo you're using on the arosa (GTD2874VR) please ?

Thanks in advance
sam- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 19:52   #613
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Any more info on the GTD2260 kit, since I've heard the new GTD series turbos respond better than the older ones did. I'm looking into the future on what to replace my VNT-17/22 with and I was originally thinking the GTD1752vrk would be the perfect turbo for a daily driver, but now you have me intrigued by the GTD2260 kit.
Old August 19th, 2017, 10:20   #614
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50+ in mixed driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3L3M3NT View Post
Any more info on the GTD2260 kit, since I've heard the new GTD series turbos respond better than the older ones did. I'm looking into the future on what to replace my VNT-17/22 with and I was originally thinking the GTD1752vrk would be the perfect turbo for a daily driver, but now you have me intrigued by the GTD2260 kit.
Slightly off topic, but I was hoping the same...that the GTD2060vz would respond a bit better on low end compared to GTB2260 with it's newer VNT tech. I'm no expert so I had asked Ryan to look into making a kit for me, and sounds like it's getting close to complete, but he mentioned that the GTD2060 felt just as good as GTB2260.

adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote