www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old January 18th, 2017, 20:05   #181
2012a3tdi

TDI(s): Audia3 2012

If intake is mostly for the bling, why are there so many players in the game? Everyone makes an after market filter and boasts of modest to outrageous increases in flow, which translates into power at the wheels.
2012a3tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 20:23   #182
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Probably because people want bling. Also, people buy those magnetic fuel line junk- so plenty of uninformed consumers out there. And lastly, it's an easy mod that any gorilla with a crescent wrench can do and feel proud about. (until they find out they wasted their money)
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 22:38   #183
hajes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012a3tdi View Post
If intake is mostly for the bling, why are there so many players in the game? Everyone makes an after market filter and boasts of modest to outrageous increases in flow, which translates into power at the wheels.
it has got more flow if installed properly...but flow and filtration is always a compromise.

it is like marketing hype of outdoor companies. Gore-Tex cannot breathe and be water/wind proof.

You have to pick one that suits your vision.
hajes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 23:15   #184
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Why, because they sell, which makes the company money, which is the goal.

If the stock airbox isn't being used, lets say the air box is rated at 1000 cfm and the engine only uses 500 cfm, then installing a high flow air filter that flows more than 500 cfm, you won't gain squat, unless the system is designed poorly.

Diesels get all the air they need, they need fuel to make power, so if the air/fuel ratio is fine, adding more air won't make any more power.
2003 JSW 1.8T future TDI, silver. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2017, 12:31   #185
Teddyh

I had a K&N cold air intake on my previous vehicle (Ford Focus SVT) no matter how careful I was to oil it lightly I found that the oil always made it to the MAF sensor whichh resulted in diminished performance. I was also haunted by a howling due to air inlet design. It looked cool and made the car sound better but as far as performance if it made any it was not noticable, if anything I remember the lack of performance when it skunked my MAF. It cost me about 300 bucks and I always felt it was the most wasteful mod I ever did. I should also point out that every couple weeks it would pop off my motor because the clamp was either too tight or too loose. The problem was if it was too loose it fell off, too tight and the plastic would collapse so the retention ring wouldn't holdd. Nothing like stalling in rush hour traffic because of a upgrade. Seriously save your money for something better.
Teddyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2017, 12:31   #186
New Mickey
The user formerly known as mickey

TDI(s): 2015 Passat

Quote:
Because bling is the point, for kids.
New Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2017, 12:34   #187
New Mickey
The user formerly known as mickey

TDI(s): 2015 Passat

If a "cold air intake" is an intake at the front of the engine compartment designed to breathe cool outside air then my 2015 Passat already has a "cold air intake". Can't see the point of messing with it.

I'd love to see an independent, side-by-side comparison of a stock intake and filter vs. any aftermarket stuff. People I trust have reported none, or at best negligible improvements in dyno power with aftermarket intakes unless they've also boosted the engine's power output to enormous levels.

-mickey

p.s. Been there, done that, back in the day. I never noticed any difference. I tried hard to convince myself I did, having spent silly money, but it doesn't make a difference.
New Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 14:31   #188
kevinstephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Probably because people want bling. Also, people buy those magnetic fuel line junk- so plenty of uninformed consumers out there. And lastly, it's an easy mod that any gorilla with a crescent wrench can do and feel proud about. (until they find out they wasted their money)

I agree with you sir. Aside from that, people nowadays take advantage of there stuff that can be built easily. They try to so the same stuff but on poor quality but sell it on premium prices.