2002 New Beetle TDI - cooling system maint.?

JD_Bugs

TDI
2002 New Beetle
I have an '02 New Beetle TDI (118k miles), purchased new in '02. I've never done any maintenance on the cooling system and so far there's been no problems. However, we are planning some road trips for this summer and I'd like to get the vehicle in shape so that it does not strand us somewhere in the wilderness of eastern OR! One idea is to replace all coolant hoses and coolant. Any ideas about what this might cost, I have a good/expensive VW mechanic locally, or other suggestions? Any general suggestions about getting an older TDI in shape for summer travels would be much appreciated as well. All other recommended maintenance has been done on schedule. Thanks!

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
JD_Bugs,

Unless you have a coolant leak, I don't see the need to replace all the coolant hoses. If you really want to, could drain the cooling system and put new G12 coolant in it. No sense in spending money for nothing.

Eric

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
118,000 miles....I assume the timming belt has been done?
Usualy the water pump is done at the same time and in order to do that the coolant needs to be drained...and hopefully new g12 coolant was installed then.

wrenchman30

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 gray 2006 dark blue
hoses that are very soft or very hard need replaced, they should feel pliable, check for oils on them and rub spots and if you find any replace those

JD_Bugs

TDI
2002 New Beetle
Thanks all. The TB and water pump were replaced at 80k but I still worry about the 13 yr old hoses. In retrospect I wish I had replaced the hoses when the water pump was done a few years ago.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Thanks all. The TB and water pump were replaced at 80k but I still worry about the 13 yr old hoses. In retrospect I wish I had replaced the hoses when the water pump was done a few years ago.
Do your timely maintenance, then...worry less drive more. :)

VLS_GUY

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bug, Skid Plate, Stage 1 Upsolute
The main thing is to do scheduled maintenance on time and as soon as a problem becomes apparent fix it. A coupe of things on this car I would do: replace the differential fluid and check the vacuum hoses for wear/impending failure when doing maintenance and replace the vacuum hoses that are past their prime. Having good vacuum hoses makes troubleshooting these cars much easier.