Chevy Cruze Diesel a direct competitor to the Jetta TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT, 2 of them!
Time will tell, when NMS Passat owners are past their warranty period and start experimenting with higher than 5% Bio and doing some oil analysis.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Plus you have to use Urea, unlike the jetta or golf TDI
That's a good thing in my book.

Use of Urea/Adblue is what lets them get better mileage than the Golf/Jetta/Beetle. Only the Passat uses urea.
I would be cautious of the mileage figures until the cars actually go out and get some miles on the odo.

Price difference over the Jetta will be covered by GM's typically higher incentives.

I wonder if the manual transmission is coming later or not planned at all?

Allowing B20 makes sense since states like Illinois will be selling B20 only. VW still does not have an answer/solution. On the flip side, I wonder how Chevy deals with B20 and oil change intervals.

And finally, the most important question for this board -- which version of HPFP does it use?
Time will tell, when NMS Passat owners are past their warranty period and start experimenting with higher than 5% Bio and doing some oil analysis.
The use of urea and the reduction of post-injection not only provides better fuel economy, but allows the use of up to B20. VW is just being cautious with the Passat and the biodiesel restriction - I fully expect to see a B20 allowance on the Passat in the coming years (that will most likely come when Illinois and/or other states increase their biodiesel minimums).

Final thought: I'm not a fan of these AOL car blog links. It's just a press release regurgitator with a bunch of ads and weak "journalism" - generally about as accurate as next week's weather forecast. ;)

Last edited:

MarcusW

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf BlueMotion
Good piece and interview in TDD:

GM Officially Joins Diesel Party, Launches 2014 Chevrolet Cruze 2.0 TD
by Jonathan Spira

CHICAGO — General Motors officially announced it would once again offer a diesel-powered automobile. The 2014 Chevrolet Cruze 2.0 TD will debut in select markets this summer with a 2.0-liter turbo-diesel inline four that develops 148 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. If that’s not enough, an overboost function allows …
Read the full story »

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Uh oh...

$25,695 MSRP for a Chevy, with all their auto diesel prowess? I'm thinking we DONT have a winner here...unless they can get the HWY MPG up significantly!

bfalke1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI, Tech Package, 6MT, 4 door - SOLD
There are 2 (two) VW dealerships in my entire state.
Seriously?

There are at least 6 in "Greater Houston" - Houston, Clear Lake, Sugar Land, Woodlands, Jersey Village, and Katy. There may be more than that, but I know of those. I live in Sugar Land, and the furthest of those six from me, is in the 25-30 mile away range.

Last edited:

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
Seriously?

There are at least 6 in "Greater Houston" - Houston, Clear Lake, Sugar Land, Woodlands, Jersey Village, and Katy. There may be more than that, but I know of those. I live in Sugar Land, and the furthest of those six from me, is in the 25-30 mile away range.
Yep, of course there are 3 times as many people in your city as in my entire state.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Fixed your quote :) There's still post injection, just less of it.
-J
Thanks as always, Jas. I was under the impression there was nearly zero post-injection (near enough to make no difference) but I stand corrected.

Is there any information out there on how much less post-injection is necessary with urea?

Frankly, I'd MUCH rather have a DEF/urea/adblue equipped commonrail than one without. Better fuel economy and less chance of oil dilution while using something as easy to get (and nearly as cheap) as windshield washer fluid? YES PLZ

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I haven't been to all of the locations called Podunk, but I've been through most in the Northeast, and the Chevy dealers are definitely not in every one up here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podunk

You have to throw a stone a lot harder to hit a VW dealer than a GM dealer in most parts of the NE.

You forget many people live outside the I95 corridor.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
another winner!

....included with Cruze Diesel
*leather appointed seating, your one and only choice
*a heritage of quality assembly only Lordstown could provide. Who could ask for a finer provenance than Cobalt, Cavalier and Vega?
*backing of diesel experts GM Powertrain, the company that proudly engineered Oldsmobile LF9 diesel engine.

/thread

Oberkanone, you have handily won this thread. Your brand new (in 1981) diesel Chevette will be delivered in 4 - 6 weeks as soon as it has been dredged from the bottom of Lake Shafer.

Last edited:

jrock

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue, Passat, 2012 Silver
I have been throwing “Chevy Cruze Diesel” into the search engine for the last year and a half awaiting any new information on this car. I currently own a Jetta TDI and really wanted this car, but I can’t do it. I’m so disappointed. No manual transmission is an instant deal killer. 42 MPG – If you’re using Urea it really should beat the non-Urea Jetta TDI. It’s doesn’t. The styling, although I like, it looks the same, can’t we have a bit of a refresh.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
One more thing to note: GM is offering 100,000 mile warranty on the powertrain. This should ease concerns for people worried about engine repairs.

Of course, it still a Chevrolet :)

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
I'm really looking forward to it, but I would also like a manual trans... I wonder if it will be an option or not??? As for the wagon, I'm fine with the sedan and I think the majority of US buyers are too... I look forward to getting behind the wheel of one soon!!! I'd like to see what they drive like, especially with the automatic...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I think the Cruze with urea is getting the same as the Jetta without urea because the Cruze uses a conventional automatic rather than the more efficient DSG. We shall see what the real numbers are if/when they actually start showing up in showrooms.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
LOL @ the above statement. Rather than launching the Cruze Diesel in states where diesel passenger car sales have been strong, they're going to follow the diesel pickup market. :confused: WHAT?!

Also, today is the first press day in Chicago. Is the Cruze Diesel actually there??
MANY diesel truck owners are buying diesel sedans for their family car or daily driver. This is something we have encouraged in Diesel World magazine for quite some time and is the reason we cover TDI cars in the mag...

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Chevy can easily do B20 by adding another injector called the HCI that goes directly to the DPF.

http://www.archivedsites.com/techlink/2011/09/duramax-diesel-exhaust-system-fluid-injectors.html
That's the way to do it, for sure!
Yup, my thoughts exactly!!! The Duramax engine is doing the DPF regen much better than the Ford or Dodge currently in full size pickups. I really wonder how long these overfueled regen diesel engines will last thanks to fuel dilution of oil compared to pre DPF engines???

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
What is so special about Kaiserslautern, Germany? No labor unions?
I am sure the transmission is maintenance free.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
It is $2000 more then the Jetta because it has Soft Touch Dash, Full MFD, and Real Cow Leather!

Seriously though, it is pretty sad when a Compact Chevy has better interior materials then a VW....

Is the Auto Trans a traditional Auto, CVT, or DSG Like trans I wounder.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
You can't be far from New Orleans if you're on the Gulf coast of MS.. There are 2 there and I think one or two in southern Alabama too.. Definitely few and far between though..
About an hour and a half drive to the one in the New Orleans area(actually in Kenner). I went there 3 times and looked at every JSW on the lot. Nobody even came out of the office to say boo at me. I think there is another one north of New Orleans about another hours drive away. 50 minute drive to the one in Mobile. Their SNAFUed sales tax situation is why I didn't deal with them, nice people otherwise. Locally the dealer had:a great salesman, a so so selection, the "usual" finance office. I didn't trade in so I didn't experience that. Price was okay for no competition.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
As far as a 1/2 ton diesel pickup, GM did that from 1988-2001, and they didn't sell.. They were great trucks too.. The 94+ were the best ones to get with the electronic IP but people still didn't buy a lot of them.. 20-22mpg with a 4wd was typical for a 1500 short cab, long bed pickup.. the 2wd trucks were better in the mpg department..
That engine is a whole world apart from modern diesel engines. There is 25+ years of technology development separating the GM Detroit Diesel engine from modern efforts. The Detroit Diesel 6.2 and 6.5 engines were really a light-duty diesel engine that was a somewhat fuel-efficient alternative to the gasser 350, but that was back when "fuel-efficient" was relative to sub-$1 per gallon diesel prices.

No manufacturer has made a modern attempt at a 1/2 ton or lighter pickup truck with a diesel engine. Toyota hasn't and likely won't bring the HiLux pickup here for use to try out. There isn't any adequate comparison to be made when the Big 3 and Japanese manufacturers HAVE NOT made a comparable product for our market.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I'm sure it's a conventional auto with torque converter. The question is whether or not it's like the Mazda Skyactiv D transmission that is locked up 90% of the time.

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
What is so special about Kaiserslautern, Germany? No labor unions?
I am sure the transmission is maintenance free.

Uh because its an engine thats been in Opel Astras for a while. Not some union conspiracy, probably just saves money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.