Chevy Cruze Diesel a direct competitor to the Jetta TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torqued off

TDI
None
Rumor Mongering GM diesel Cruze????

It looks like CAFE is finally going to force other manufacturers to finally make their diesel powertrains available in North America.

I'm sure GM is just the first of many over the next few years to help with 2016 CAFE.

http://www.GMInsideNews.com/

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
diesel cruze?

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f70/north-american-cruze-get-diesel-power-100638/

North American Cruze To Get Diesel Power
All of GM's diesel talk is finally more than just...talk.
www.GMInsideNews.com
February 19, 2011
By: Nick Saporito

The Chevrolet Cruze compact sedan just launched in the North America market a few short months ago and represents Chevrolet’s first truly global vehicle. The Cruze is sold is over 60 countries worldwide and utilizes both gasoline and diesel powered engines in the global markets. In North America, however, the Cruze sports only gasoline power. According to multiple sources, at least one diesel option is coming for the North American Cruze.

GMI’s sources at the Lordstown, Ohio assembly plant that produces the Cruze state that management informed them this week that they will start building a Cruze diesel model for the 2013 model year. Management stated that production of the new engine option would begin sometime next year.

Sources familiar with GM engineering were able to confirm to GMI that the diesel option is currently slated for the 2013 Cruze. The engineering sources also confirmed that the engine is a 2.0-liter with the RPO code of ‘LUZ.’ Power output or fuel economy figures are unclear at this time, however test mules of the Cruze diesel are operating now in metro Detroit.

In Australia the Holden Cruze CDX has a 2.0-liter diesel engine. In that application the car produces approximately 147 horsepower and 235 feet-pounds of torque. Converting from the Australian fuel economy figures, the Cruze CDX is rated at 34 miles per-gallon in combined driving. It is unclear if the same 2.0-liter diesel will be in the North American Cruze, but one is compelled to assume that will be the case.

Last November GMI reviewed the Holden Cruze CDX, and walked away fairly impressed with it.

GMI has also been told that the 2012 Cruze will be getting push button start. According to the Lordstown sources keyless ignition will be option on mid-level LT models and standard on the high-end LTZ trim.

Dieselfitter

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI with DSG
Only 34 mpg, combined? Horsepower and Torque is similar to VW Diesel.

Should get more MPG. Cruze is probably lighter , too.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The Jetta TDI is rated at 34 combined on the US EPA cycle...

Still, I'll believe this when I see it. Actually, I won't even believe it then.

Although, looks like GM had nothing to do with the design of this engine, they bought it from VM Motori...

tscottt

TDI
sold: 1998 NB TDI 5-spd
It will be interesting to see if this materializes. Lately, GM has done very little outside of the Volt that has led the way for US manufacturers. Ford has repeatedly said they are committed to EcoBoost, hybrids, and EVs for the US market and has no plan to introduce diesels here. With Dodge/Ram rumored to be reconsidering the 1500 Cummins, could these two companies find a niche advantage over Ford in diesel options?

http://www.greencarreports.com/blog...-cruze-to-offer-2-0-liter-clean-diesel-option

This article mentions 42 mpg (US gallons) on the European test cycle for the Cruze VCDi. While I'm generally of the mindset that the more diesel options on the market the better; an escalation of problems seen by the public by the HPFP issue coupled with any other manufacturer's problems with diesels could spell serious trouble once again for the future of diesel in America. Let's hope that's not the case, as expansion of products is a necessary risk to take.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Note that CAFE is jumping to 36mpg in 5 years or so. The automakers are going to need to bring in more diesels to get there IMO.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
I could see some advantages for GM and Mazda introducing their diesel model late, very late ...that is to have VW sorts out the US diesel fuel quality issue with fuel vendors during the first few years of product introduction. Another area to pay attention to is to try to follow up on the warranty rate on the emmission system and see how VW is doing before introducing their own cars, most likely with similiar diesel emission design to the TDI.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Only 34 mpg, combined? Horsepower and Torque is similar to VW Diesel.

Should get more MPG. Cruze is probably lighter , too.
The Cruze weighs a few hundred pounds more than a comparable Jetta.

I don't know where the 34 mpg number comes from, but in the European cycle a diesel Cruze with the 6-speed Auto gets 6.6 l/100km (36 mpg). The engine is brand-new and just replaced an older diesel. The older one was widely regarded as very unrefined, reviews about the new one aren't in yet.
In the same European rating a Jetta with DSG is rated at 5.3 l/100km (44 mpg). So that's about the difference between a Jetta and a Cruze.
0-100 kph is 9.4s for the Cruze, 9.5s for the Jetta. (The Cruze has 163hp, the Jetta 140 - the weight difference kills the power advantage)

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Curb weight on the US-spec Cruze 1LT and 2LT, the two that actually have that info posted on Chevy's site, is 3102 pounds. Both have the 1.4T with an automatic. (Manual is only on the base LS with the 1.8NA, and on the ECO with the 1.4T. Quite a few GM cars in the US don't even have a manual available, so...)

So, rather than try to figure out which Jetta is comparable, here's all the automatic Jetta weights:

Jetta S 2.0: 2881 pounds (but it has a lot less power, too, than either the 1.8 or the 1.4T, and it has worse rear suspension)
Jetta SE and SEL 2.5: 3082 pounds (but with the 5-cylinder with more power... still the worse rear suspension)
Jetta TDI: 3210 pounds (all that, and you still get the solid beam rear)

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle, 2011 Touareg TDI
TDI'ers beware Chevrolet to enter compact diesel market

Yes, rumor has it that the chevy cruze is going to be getting a 2.0 Diesel mill as of late next year for the 2013 model year. Rejoice or fear this volkswagen fans, as the competition is going to make things mighty interesting. I'm hoping for a 1.6 liters diesel engine from Vw as a direct kick back at this.

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/02/22/report-2013-chevrolet-cruze-to-get-2-0-liter-diesel-engine/

Quote"According to a report from GM Inside News, workers at the Lordstown facility were informed that the site will commence production of a diesel-engined Cruze for the 2013 model year. GMI claims that diesel-engined Cruze test mules are currently roaming the roads of metro Detroit and has apparently confirmed, through its inside sources, that a 2.0-liter engine with the Regular Production Option (RPO) code of "LUZ" is packed between the fenders of the test models." end quote

discuss

bhtooefr

TDI
None
That's actually a bad sign.

Full ratings, BTW...

Manual: 7.0 L/100km (34 mpUSg) urban, 4.8 L/100km (49 mpUSg) extra-urban, 5.6 L/100km (42 mpUSg) combined
Automatic: 8.6 L/100km (27 mpUSg) urban, 5.5 L/100km (43 mpUSg) extra-urban, 6.7 L/100km (35 mpUSg) combined

Compare to a Golf 2.0TDI 140PS...

Manual: 6.1 L/100km (39 mpUSg) urban, 4.1 L/100km (57 mpUSg) extra-urban, 4.8 L/100km (49 mpUSg) combined
DSG: 6.7 L/100km (35 mpUSg) urban, 4.5 L/100km (52 mpUSg) extra-urban, 5.3 L/100km (44 mpUSg) combined

Now, to extrapolate the error...

US EPA ratings for the Golf TDI: 30/42/34, both transmissions

That comes out to, for manuals: 130%/136%/144% greater on the NEDC cycle
For DSGs: 117%/124%/129% greater on the NEDC cycle

I'll throw out the DSG and automatic numbers, no fair way to compare, but I will keep the manual numbers.

You're looking at 26 city, 36 highway, 29 combined on a manual transmission diesel Cruze on the EPA cycle. And, with those fuel economy numbers, it just plain doesn't make sense to sell a diesel Cruze here - the worst gasser Cruze, the 1.8L automatic, gets 22/35/27, and if we're comparing apples to APPLES... the 1.8L manual gets 26/36/30 - BETTER than a manual diesel would get. And the manual 1.4T Cruze Eco? 28/42/33. (Even the automatic 1.4T Cruze Eco is rated at 26/37/30.)

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I think we'll likely sooner see a Diesel offering in something like a Cadillac CTS than a Cruze for the reasons `Tooef said. Which is still not a very good likelihood.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/25/...chback-says-hello-before-big-show/2#c33214228

Meet the Chevrolet Cruze Hatchback. This five-door Cruze will make its debut at the Geneva Motor Show, which officially kicks off on Tuesday, March 1st. The Cruze Hatchback concept that generated excitement at last year's Paris Motor Show is the inspiration for this production model, which has a sloping roofline that's more sleek than geek. Cargo space is improved, of course, and doubly weep-inducing for North American hatchback fans, this one will only be available in Europe, with a delicious 161-horsepower diesel engine and six-speed manual transmission available.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
GM to sell diesel Chevy Cruze in US

OK... not "TDI" news per se... but:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...iesel-coming-to-america-targeting-50-mpg.html

Chevrolet will bring a diesel-powered version of the Cruze compact sedan to the U.S. market. The news comes via two sources briefed on GM’s future product plans and is not the first indication of an oil-burner Cruze for America. Back in February GMInsideNews was first to break the story and this latest info only adds to that report’s credibility.

The Cruze diesel is likely to use the same powerplant found under the hood of the Australian version of the Cruze (which is sold under the Holden brand). That car uses a 2.0-liter diesel engine making 147-hp and 235 lb-ft of torque. Chevrolet is reportedly targeting a 50-mpg highway rating in a bid to meet increasingly strict CAFE requirements.

Set to go on sale in late 2012 as a 2013 model year car, look for a starting price several thousand above the current Cruze model, as diesel engines cost more to produce. Chevrolet may look to follow Volkswagen in offering a high-content level for the diesel models in order to offset the added cost of the engine.

If the reports prove true, this would mark the first time since the 1980s that a diesel-powered passenger car was a part of GM’s North American lineup.

lexa

Veteran Member
TDI
none
each OEM needs to meet CAFE soon, unless they manage to delay it.

with Volt not being in high demand (presumably), GM would need to balance their low mileage fleet with something efficient...maybe even at expense of losing money on it (with US government standing ready to put more cash in).

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Chevrolet may look to follow Volkswagen in offering a high-content level for the diesel models in order to offset the added cost of the engine.
High content level, that's so 2006.

tlhfirelion

TDI
None
So what's the deal with this engine? Is this a new engine or a proven engine overseas that they are just bringing over here? I REALLY hope it's not a new engine. This engine MAY help me get over how crappy looking I think the cruze is. I wish they would offer a hatchback.....AWD........that doesn't look like a turd. I'll not hold my breath. Lol.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Gad. It's going to be two years of blather about some company bringing a small diesel to market. Do, or do not. Two years.... Ugh.

We're still seeing a few posts about Mahindra..

I hope GM does it, though.

tlhfirelion

TDI
None
Gad. It's going to be two years of blather about some company bringing a small diesel to market. Do, or do not. Two years.... Ugh.

Good point......so let's get started! I wonder if their hatch cruze they are releasing overseas will make to our shores? I hope so as it looks pretty good. I NEVER thought I would even consider another domestic vehicle, but it seems this engine under the Holden name is rather popular, reliable and performs well. If they would bring over a diesel hatch, it might edge out the golf. That is, depending on what HPFP they use. :)

BretAZ

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I can't wait to own own one of these. We all know how successful GM has been in the past with diesel engines in the U.S.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
It'll be worth a look/hear/feel for sure. Competition for TDI VWs would be good for VW, VW fans in North America, and diesel in general. I highly doubt it will be as refined and appealing as the mature VAG diesels, but I wouldn't doubt it'll be a good unit... I've driven a few diesels in Europe and the TDI is just better. The Peugeot diesels lack certain robustness and polish and whatever diesel KIA uses in Europe was completely uninspiring to me as well. I will watch with interest, but don't expect to be lured by a Detroit brand any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.